V1.5.1

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014

      I've installed V1.5.1 and even with nothing else running it's taking over 90% of my CPU capacity.  Without Opera running the usage is usually about 4%, so with Opera running the PC performance slows to a crawl.

      I admit that I am running it on a relatively old machine, a 2.8GHz Intel, but I wonder what the minimum specification for the CPU is for Opera now?

      I'm also getting problems with the Audio input/output.  With other programs the audio in/out is fine, but when I run Opera somehow the soundcard/driver gets switched off.

      Until I can sort these issues, I don't think I'll be able to test Opera on 23cm.

      Dave (G0DJA)
    • Jose Alberto Nieto Ros
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014
        Then must be Opera doesn't work,

        Has someone tested if Opera work in his PC?

        To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014
          Dave,
          Have you  run the  previous  version's  ok ? what operating  system ?
          2.8 should  be  fast enough,  ros  just runs  on a  P3 1.1 G
          assume that's  a  2.8P4 ?
          Is Op  showing  at  90% in the  process monitor ?

          G,
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014

            It does work sometimes Jose,

            But other times, when I open the program, it seems that it cannot find any of the soundcards.

            I tried a previous version (V1.4.8) and that seemed to be OK, but was using a lot of the CPU resources as well, so I think I need a more modern PC.  :-)

            Dave (G0DJA)

            Has someone tested if Opera work in his PC?

            To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014

              It's Windows XP Home, not my preference, I prefer the Pro version, but I inherited the PC when the original owner upgraded and asked me to set the new PC up and take the old one away.

              So, I know it has issues and XP is not going to be supported for much longer, which provides an excuse for a newer PC with faster CPU and a newer operating system.

              I did run V1.4.8 OK, and it didn't have the 'cant find soundcard' issue.

              Dave (G0DJA)

              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014
                Hello Dave

                On Friday, February 14, 2014, you wrote:

                > I've installed V1.5.1 and even with nothing else running it's
                > taking over 90% of my CPU capacity. Without Opera running the
                > usage is usually about 4%, so with Opera running the PC performance slows to a crawl.

                > I admit that I am running it on a relatively old machine, a 2.8GHz
                > Intel, but I wonder what the minimum specification for the CPU is for Opera now?

                > I'm also getting problems with the Audio input/output. With other
                > programs the audio in/out is fine, but when I run Opera somehow the
                > soundcard/driver gets switched off.

                > Until I can sort these issues, I don't think I'll be able to test Opera on 23cm.
                >
                > Dave (G0DJA)

                Runs fine here on an elderly PC with an AMD Sempron 3600+ 2.01 GHz processor
                and 2 gig of RAM. Uses about 14% to 20% CPU. OS is XP Pro and I will be loathe
                to move to Windows 7, wheter XP is supported or not. If I had my way I'd still be on
                Windows 3.51 with its easy to understand and find .ini files ;)

                --
                Best regards,
                Chris mailto:chris@...
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014
                  Hello Dave

                  On Friday, February 14, 2014, you wrote:

                  > I've installed V1.5.1 and even with nothing else running it's
                  > taking over 90% of my CPU capacity. Without Opera running the
                  > usage is usually about 4%, so with Opera running the PC performance slows to a crawl.

                  > I admit that I am running it on a relatively old machine, a 2.8GHz
                  > Intel, but I wonder what the minimum specification for the CPU is for Opera now?

                  > I'm also getting problems with the Audio input/output. With other
                  > programs the audio in/out is fine, but when I run Opera somehow the
                  > soundcard/driver gets switched off.

                  > Until I can sort these issues, I don't think I'll be able to test Opera on 23cm.
                  >
                  > Dave (G0DJA)

                  If you right click on My Computer, then go to Properties - Advanced -
                  Settings - Performance Options, what fancy gizmo boxes are ticked? I
                  run with ALL of then UN ticked, and the box "Adjust for Best
                  Performance" ticked. Not running all that extra baggage may help if
                  you have not already tried that.

                  --
                  Best regards,
                  Chris mailto:chris@...
                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014

                    I would avoid Windows 7 if I were you.  I have to use it on a works PC and colleagues have just had new PCs with it on and are having all sorts of problems.

                    I'm told that Windows 8.1 isn't too bad, if XP is getting a bit long in the tooth now.

                    I'll have another go with 1.5.1 later and see if it settles down a bit.

                    Dave (G0DJA)

                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014
                      Reading  some of the  posts  to the  windows  groups  over  high  cpu loading , it seems  in later  patches , MS had  re  structured cpu loading , there where quite a  few  posts  round  this issue ,I dont  think  there  has been  major  changes to the  Opera decode ,
                      Using P4 3.8 G winxp-pro :just  ran v 1-4-7 , that  showed 14-16% cpu  and  1-5-1 showed round 16% cpu  and  8% with the  w-fall  off  , the  cpu  indicator  on Opera  shows  round  35% w/f on
                      The  performance  window  did  show  sporadic 50 +%  system loading  , which  showed  100%   on the  Op cpu  indicator

                      On this  2.6g  4 core intel ,winxp-pro Op cpu ind  = 0  and in the  windows performance list  , shows 1%

                      May be a  run through with trend micro house call   malwarebytes and CCleaner  would  free up some resources ?

                      Tnx-G,

                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014

                      Attached 3 screenshots.  No 1 is Spectrum Lab and nothing else running. Number 2 is no programmes, other than background programmes, running and number 3 is Opera and no other programme running...

                      Dave (G0DJA)
                    • Jose Alberto Nieto Ros
                      Message 11 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014
                        try waterfall to OFF

                        To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
                        From: dave@...
                        Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 21:13:30 +0000
                        Subject: Re: [O_P_E_R_A_] V1.5.1 [3 Attachments]

                        Message 12 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014
                          Just noticed , its showing as a   single  core  processor , is it only winxp-pro that supports threading / multi core

                          The Home edition of Windows XP---the edition that came with most machines home users bought from the likes of Dell and HP, before Windows Vista---supports only one processor. This means if you want to install more than one processor and you run Windows XP Home, you may need to switch to Professional, or upgrade Windows to a newer version with support for multiple processors.

                          That's the  problem I think

                          G,

                        • Andy - KU4XR
                          Message 13 of 24 , Feb 14, 2014
                            Greetings David:

                            This is from personal experience.. I have Win-XP Pro on a 2.2 GHz CPU..
                            >> If you try to do internet browsing on the same PC that OPERA is running
                            on, you will notice High CPU Usage from the CPU interrupts caused by the
                            browser activity.. For instance, if trying to watch PSK Reporter with
                            OPERA running; this can cause high CPU usage to occur..
                            >> PC Memory amount is very important.. If you do not have enough RAM, then
                            the PC will use the Hard-Drive as Virtual Memory which can really slow your
                            computer down, because the CPU writes data to the HDD in place of RAM where
                            it should be writing data to.. When the CPU interrupts activity to be able to
                            write data to the HDD, then everything else " Has to stop " briefly while the
                            CPU is doing its job.. The only way around this is to put all the RAM that
                            your motherboard will support in the system..
                            >> Increase the size of the pagefile.sys.. this is the Virtual Memory section..
                            In your case, possibly let Windows manage the size of the pagefile for you..
                            If it needs more space, then it will take it..
                            >> Is your HDD full ?? It's possible that you need to do a disk cleanup, and
                            defragment using Windows System Tools.. Delete old files, and folders if they
                            are not being used, to get extra space on the HDD..
                            >> Consider allowing Windows to " Clear " the pagefile.sys at shutdown..
                            This will " clean out " a lot of data from Virtual Memory when you shut the
                            computer down.. You can read about this, and let Microsoft install the " Fix "
                            for you at this address.. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314834
                            You will need to do this before April however, since Support for Windows XP is
                            ending forever after that..

                            These tips may, or may not, address, and help you with your issues, I just
                            offer them for you to consider.. Hope you can find, and fix the OPERA issue..

                            73:

                            Andy - KU4XR
                          • Dave
                            Message 14 of 24 , Feb 15, 2014

                              CPU use drops a bit.  From about 70% to 50%

                              DAve (G0DJA)

                              Message 15 of 24 , Feb 15, 2014

                                The CPU meter in Opera and the CPU display in Task Manager show the same value.  With waterfall on it is about 70% with waterfall off it is about 50%.

                                Dave (G0DJA)
                                Message 16 of 24 , Feb 15, 2014
                                • 1 Attachment
                                • 366 KB
                                Hi Andy,

                                I'm not using the PC that Opera is running on to access the internet, other than Opera is using the connection to monitor and display messages, see attached screenshot.

                                The PC has about 1.2GB of RAM installed, although with Opera running there's only about 670MB free, again that's shown on the screenshot attached.

                                I will see if there's anything running in the background that can be turned off to release some more RAM.  I got rid of ZoneAlarm, and use a different firewall/virus scanner, because the latest version of ZoneAlarm, like AVC before it, just ate up CPU resources and everything else slowed to a crawl...

                                Dave (G0DJA)

                                Message 17 of 24 , Feb 15, 2014

                                Screenshot 5 shows PC at rest.  No programmes running.  MsMpEng.exe is the executable that is associated with Windows Security Essentials and is significantly better than ZneAlarm or Norton AVG !

                                Screenshot 6 shows what happens shortly after starting Opera V1.5.1.  It's taking up to 50% of the CPU resources even without the waterfall running...

                                Dave (G0DJA)
                              • Andy - KU4XR
                                Message 18 of 24 , Feb 15, 2014
                                  OK Dave: Here's another " Try this and see what happens " reccommendation..
                                  Unless you really want to see " All Spots " from everyone, on every band;
                                  Un-Check the " All Spots " box and OPERA will stop communicating with the
                                  internet a bit.. Then, the only " spots " you will see in the windows, will be spots
                                  for the band you have OPERA set for.. The alert / chat panes at the top will still
                                  be active..

                                  Andy - KU4XR

                                  Message 19 of 24 , Feb 15, 2014
                                    By the way, I'd spotted that SDTray had snuck in from somewhere, so it is currently being deleted and the registry cleaned to get rid of the wretched trojan!!

                                    Dave (G0DJA)
                                  • Dave
                                    Message 20 of 24 , Feb 15, 2014

                                      Whilst playing about trying to get the CPU load down, I noticed a couple of things when using the TS2000X (the TS2000 plus the 23cm module) in that, on starting OPERA, the rig changes to 70cm and sets the frequency 432.090.03MHz and USB mode.  When I then press the 'band up' button on the TS2000X, the frequency on 23cm has been reset from whatever I last left it on to 1296.201.53 CW mode.

                                      This means that I have to reset the mode to USB and set the frequency to 1296.600MHz, or whatever is decided to be used.

                                      Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)
                                      Message 21 of 24 , Feb 15, 2014
                                        Ok Dave
                                        Thats  the  CAT command  from  Opera  setting the  rig to  70 cm , there  is  no  23cm band  at the  moment ..once there  is a  'agreed' 23cm qrg  then  everything  will  run as  normal with  cat  tune  and  tx/rx
                                        Work  around  , would be  to  set the  Rig control  to  com-port key  or Vox , that  way  the rig  will  stay  at the  dial  set
                                        Tnx-G,

                                      • ei8jk
                                        Message 22 of 24 , Feb 16, 2014
                                          There is a rather annoying "anomaly" (rather than fault) when using Opera on my FT-1000. The data modem is connected to the packet port which is used for all the other data modes I use, but Opera switches the mode to USB every time I start the program and every time I change frequency. Not an earth shattering problem, but it catches me out every time when it fails to transmit.
                                        • Jose Alberto Nieto Ros
                                          Message 23 of 24 , Feb 16, 2014
                                            Opera only work with the DSV connector in the FT-1000, as packet port only work in LSB

                                            To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: ei8jk@...
                                            Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 01:01:44 -0800

                                            Message 24 of 24 , Feb 17, 2014
                                              No Jose, you can program the FT-1000 to use USB in the config menu.
                                              The point I was trying to make is the other data modes I use only switch the frequency and leave mode and all other settings alone. I always forget that Opera switches mode until I notice no power being transmitted.