7038 Be there or be square !

    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 25, 2014

      7038 Seems to  be  where  its  at  [ as our users  out  west say]

      KL7L Alaska , VK3KCX Melbourne , putting  in some trans global dx

      Gray line  or  over the  pole ?

      G,

      Download (ADIF) last 24 hourslast week

      TxmtrRcvrBandModeDistanceTime (UTC)
      VK3KCXKB3LSM40mOPERA16139 km12:16:53
      K4RKMVK3KCX40mOPERA9819 miles11:50:54
      VK3KCXK4RKM40mOPERA15800 km12:16:50
      VK3KCXKL7L40mOPERA12515 km11:34:38
      KL7LVK3KCX40mOPERA7778 miles11:59:41
      F4GIXKL7L40mOPERA7876 km18:08:08
      EA5DOMK4RKM40mOPERA7051 km19:36:36
      5Q1NGK4RKM40mOPERA6992 km11:34:07
      2E0ILYKL7L40mOPERA6944 km01:58:45
      WD4KPDEB5EA40mOPERA4074 miles22:41:01
      K4RKM2E0ILY40mOPERA3917 miles07:42:31
      2E0ILYK4RKM40mOPERA6303 km07:49:14
      2E0ILYWD4KPD40mOPERA5939 km00:31:07
      WD4KPD2E0ILY40mOPERA3691 miles22:53:56
    • daveandshirl65
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 25, 2014
        HI guys, thanks for getting on 40M... it still boggles me how well this works, for example K4RKM heard me with 2 Watts from my end and KL7L heard me with just 1 Watt.

        My 40M antenna is only a wire dipole about 7M above ground at the highest point, much of it hangs over the tin roof of my house which it clears by less than 2M (This is why I never use more than ~ 20W on 40M - in house radiation levels are such that it gets into just about everything, including me).

        If anybody notices a 2M spot on the reporter between my self and UD2VVR - my apologies there, I don;t know what happened here, I went to bed running 40M Op2 @ 5W and when I checked it in the morning I was still on 7.038 but the Opera band selector said 144.180 Op0.5 ???? So the dumb thing had been QRM'ing everybody on 40M with Op0.5 for half of the night! Sorry about that - the station gremlins have been busy again. It seems that UD2VVR worked out what was going on and decoded my Op0.5.

        The sun is well up now so I have QSY'd 10M Opera beaming to the US.

        73 David VK3KCX
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 30, 2014

          Thats novel ! , USA  and VK in the  same  Tx  , and  each  end in daylight  , path to  US  was  50% light  , VK may be  10%

          G,

          20:01   7038 G0NBD de K4RKM Op2 -26 dB F:13% in EM85vf / W. NorthCarolina

          20:01   7038 G0NBD de EA5DOM Op2 1036 mi -12 dB F:27% in Benidorm with 25w + 40 FT Vertical

          20:01   7038 G0NBD de VK3KCX Op2 10587 mi -18 dB F:19% in Melbourne with 25w + 40 FT Vertical

          20:01   7038 G0NBD de SV8QG Op2 1704 mi -9 dB F:29%_Ini in Lesbos Isl with 25w + 40 FT Vertical

        • daveandshirl65
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 31, 2014
            Congratulation Graham

            This is getting bigger every night... who is up for a 1 Watt challenge over the weekend?
             7.038,Op4, 1 Watt only

            Any takers?
          • Chris Wilson
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 31, 2014
              Hello Daveandshirl65,

              On Friday, January 31, 2014, you wrote:

              > Congratulation Graham

              > This is getting bigger every night... who is up for a 1 Watt challenge over the weekend?
              > 7.038,Op4, 1 Watt only

              > Any takers?

              I will certainly give it a try with my Softrock RXTX, but it will be
              under 1 watt! My TS-590 won't go below 5 watts without under driving
              it and I have no very low wattage slugs for my Bird wattmeter.

              --
              Best regards,
              Chris mailto:chris@...
              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 31, 2014

                I'm up for it, although I would be surprised if anyone hears me. My long wire aerial is only 15 feet above ground at it's highest thanks to the stormy weather. It should be an inverted L at 50 feet, but the rope on the pulley at the top of the tower wore (chafed) through and I need a calm day to get it down to repair.

                But I can hear quite a few on 40m.

              • ei8jk
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 31, 2014

                  Maybe I spoke too soon. First beacon of the evening with 1 watt got me heard in Greece at 3110 Km, and it's not dark yet.

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 31, 2014

                    There is  something  es'strange  about  this  , at  22:47z   the  path  VK <>KL7  is  100% in daylight , not  far from  mid-day ...  the  other  is 100% dark

                    G,

                    TxmtrRcvrBandModeDistanceTime (UTC)
                    VK2XGJKL7L40mOPERA11965 km22:47:58
                    K4RKMSV8QG40mOPERA5583 miles23:00:18
                  • Laurence KL7 L

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 31, 2014
                        Correct,  left the system running overnight.  Turned off at 2200 z approx.

                        Sent from my komputer.

                        John de VK2XGJ
                        Guns don't kill people
                        Driver's on mobile phones do!

                        Message 11 of 21 , Feb 1, 2014

                          There is the  screen shop  from  psk-reporter ... the  other  possibility , it went the  other  way  round ?

                          G,

                        • daveandshirl65
                          Message 12 of 21 , Feb 6, 2014

                            Just heard Aaron KB3LSM in full daylight both ends... 21:18 GMT or 8:18 AM local.

                            Interesting that the dark part of the globe almost reaches both of us at this time.... long path to East Coast USA from Melbourne on 40M???
                            Message 13 of 21 , Feb 6, 2014

                              Must be  , but the  VOCAP  predictor  seems  not to  show  7  path  round  this  time  ?  but  checked  with  CW op  on the  us-west coast  and its  been  noticed  by  other CW users  on 7  as well

                              G,

                              Message 14 of 21 , Feb 6, 2014

                                May  be  run  spec-lab  in the  qrss  cw  mode to  show the  audio  b/w , Gary has the  settings , you  get a  strip  of  spectrum/time  slots  , which are  saved  , that  will  show  the  spreading  on the  signal , if these  day  light  decoder  are  very  wide  , that  may hint  on the  path ?

                                G,

                              • daveandshirl65
                                Message 15 of 21 , Feb 7, 2014
                                  Hey that is a great idea - the spectrum lab thing, Are your suggesting that the polar path will spread the BW of the signal, like the Auroral effect that I'm familiar with on 10M?

                                  I don't actually have Speclab here at the moment, I tried to load it up some time ago and could not get it to work, some missing DLL or something and I did not persist.

                                  I noticed that some UE station had an 80M jt65 contact in  to Tonga - in the middle of the pacific today, about lunch time in Tonga - strange things these radio waves.

                                  Running 10M Op2 at present beaming EU, It is 5:14 PM local here (6:14) GMT ,some Russians should be in range any moment and other parts of EU in an hour or so.

                                  I could not get a single contact on 40M Op4 last Saturday, I ran 2 sessions but no bites on Op4.  Did I tell you that I had a -29 report from NL8892 - Antonie a while back
                                  using Op4 on 10M? have a feeling that I did, but not sure...

                                  - David
                                • daveandshirl65
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Feb 7, 2014

                                    CORRECTION.... that was NL8992 not NL8992...

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 7, 2014

                                      NL8992   not  NL8992    ?

                                    • Gary - G4WGT
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 7, 2014
                                        Hi David,

                                        You wrote :- Hey that is a great idea - the spectrum lab thing.

                                        For Spectrum Lab try the latest version v2.79 b10 very stable version.

                                        If you manage to install OK..... then for the CW strip mode you need to select :-

                                        From top menu........<Quick settings>........<Other amateur radio modes>......
                                        Then from the list..... <Fast morse "Tape reader">

                                        That is a good starting point.

                                        73, de Gary - G4WGT

                                        MF-LF-VLF Grabber : http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wgtaylor/grabber2.html
                                        Web : http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/wgtaylor/index.html

                                        .
                                        On 07/02/2014 10:02, daveandshirl65@... wrote:

[...]

                                        No virus found in this message.

                                      • daveandshirl65
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 7, 2014
                                          Oh.. dear me... the correction should have read - Did I tell you that I had a -29 report from NL8992 - Antonie a while back using Op4 on 10M? have a feeling that I did, but not sure...
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 7, 2014

                                            Yes , Laurence  reported some dispersion of the  signal , might  give a  clue as to  which way it  went , as to  what  it  will  look  like ive no  idea  , but  if there  are  3  types  , clean  , slight  blur and  fuzzy  then  may  be none,   one  or two  poles  where  part of the  path ?

                                            G,

                                          • Laurence KL7 L
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 8, 2014
                                              Generally over the pole the spreading at 7MHz is up to 20Hz during an "event" - and the event may not be an advertised big one too. Its very difficult on a day to day to see or forecast whats going to appear even with low  K's and a solar/mag.

                                               It gets worse on 10MHz where a lot of stronger stations appear as ghostly smudges - WSPR/Opera doesnt work then either of course but Im sure the total power received if aggregated would be pretty strong :-)  - I do see excursions in freq, up and down too but thats typical in response to a hit from a CME or similar. Ill take a picture next time I remember -

                                              For the most part over the Pole to Eu has been very difficult this winter on 30m

                                              Im just back from Alberta  and here in the Matanuska valley we have lost power during  big localised ongoingwind storms and power line noise is still high with a lot of people locally still "off the grid" = Ill gradually bring the system back on here and inspect the antenna damage when its safe to do so.  Something still appears to be still up in the air and Ive moved to 28MHz - now awaiting dawn

                                              Laurence KL7 L Palmer Wasilla Alaska

                                              To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
                                              From: g0nbd@...
                                              Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 15:21:39 -0800