Dongle for OPREA RX

  • Rickfordg
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013
      G, and all,

      A wile back I think it was G mentioned something about modifying a dongle (SDR) so it will RX down to DC? If available I would like more info about this. If memory serves it had something to do with connecting the antenna to a pin on the dongle.

      TNX
      Rich
      WD4RBX
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2013

        Yup  sounds about  right

        You need  one of the  rtl dongles  ......take a  wire  direct , I used the  C17 as a  terminal  post  ,   series O.1 uF

        http://erewhon.superkuh.com/gnuradio/dx_EzTV668_1v1_shortwave-connection-point.jpg

        Then  you need

        http://sdrsharp.com/

        and you  get this  , all  for  $10

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Le-1aW9BR4

        But  , the  gain  falls  off  at MF , so  you  may  need  a  pre  amp  , or  at the  very least  some  form  of  tuner  , to  match the  Ae  to  the ~ 200 Ohms input

        73-G,

      • siegfried jackstien
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 11, 2013
          Rtl dvbt stick ... modded for direct sample:

          On the rtl dvbt stick with r820t tuner only the I branch is used (tuner
          gives a low if instead of zero if) ... so the q branch (q input) is left
          free (pin number 4 and 5 iirr)

          It is about 200 ohms balanced input

          So best is to add a 1:4 balun there (very tiny soldering work!!)

          And then route the balun´s input to another coax connector

          Voila ... rtl stick modded for direct sample

          Dg9bfc

          Sigi

        • Rickfordg
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2013
            G,

            Sometimes I simply amaze myself as to how forgetful I can be. I already have a dongle and the "ham it up converter." I can easily RX NAA @ 24 KHz. I forgot about that. What more do I need Hi Hi. I think that OPERA and SDRsharp play nice together. The tricky part is getting the dongle RX on frequency.

            Rich