8.9 KHz

  • Rickfordg
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 12, 2013
      Hi all,

      Looks like my math was way in error. This is a good thing but it's going to take me longer to get a signal on the air worth listening for. I now plan to build a (sort of ) loading coil. My first though is a 1:1 matching transformer with the secondary connected to as large a dipole I can put up. This small dipole can be at least 1200 feet each side. Most likely for best results is just go a head and build a veriometer and be done with it. This would take the fun out of this project...HI HI HI.

      Rich
      WD4RBX
    • Rickfordg
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 29, 2013
        Quick update:

        I have the transformer that my friend swearers will match my PA to the antenna with the help of a loading coil. It's a hefty multi tap transformer.
        The other day I put one rope over a 70 foot pine tree near the shack. Today I plan to put a rope over a 40 foot pine tree at the top of my front yard to support that end of my 300 + meter long wire. I also need to put a rope over a 50 foot pine about half way between the two. This support will be used to pull up a modest loading coil to help electrically lengthen the antenna.

        Winding the first coil:
        I found a cool way to wind coils with uninsulated wire. If I have what I need I plan to wind the modest coil today. If all goes according to plan (it never does) I should have the long wire antenna up by this afternoon and start testing and tuning Saturday AM. My goal is to get a signal on the air this weekend.

        TNX for the band width,

        Rich
        WD4RBX
      • Andy - KU4XR
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 30, 2013
          Rick:

          I have OPERA running since noon in OP4H @ 8.9 KHz.. Never had much luck receiving at VLF
          before.. I'm at least hearing lots of Sferics, and Tweeks..
          We are about 103 miles apart.. IF - you get a signal on the air. let's see what happens..
          It will shock my socks off if you decode here..

          Andy - KU4XR , Friendsville, TN. - EM75xr

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 30, 2013
            Hi Andy,

            I have been working on this contraption (LOL) from about 7 AM. Im fixing to install the loading coil shortly. No matter how it turns out I will beacon as soon as I'm finished. Should be at or neer 19:30 UTC or 2:30 PM our time. I will just let it run over night. I have doubts about my setup but you never know. I'm really enjoying playing on the dreamers band :-) Also as you might know you will most likely not see my signal (if I have one LOL) OPERA will do the work .

            Your the best,

            Rich
            WD4RBX

            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 30, 2013
              19:25 UTC
              Have the loading coil installed. Not happy with the results but will turn on the beacon . The PA is not drawing much current from the PS.

              Rich
              WD4RBX

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 30, 2013
                I have a snapper window open on 8970 here Rich - Laurence KL 7L

                To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 30, 2013
                  Rich.. Are you going to try non-stop beaconing ? It will be around 6:25 pm local time
                  before anything happens here... if it does.. lol , At least the software is running..

                  Andy - KU4XR
                  On Sat, 11/30/13, Rickfordg <wd4rbx@...> wrote:

                  19:25 UTC
                  Have the

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 30, 2013

                    Rich, Good luck !

                    PS -Make sure the  beacon  slider is  set to  '0'  and the  beacon  set to  'ON' or there  might  be a  day  or  two  wait  for the  next  Tx

                    DJ8WX is  sending  on 8K as  well  , at the  moment , may  be  some  help  there  with the  Ae set up ?

                    73-G,

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 30, 2013
                      Hi Andy,

                      Yes my 8.9 Khz beacon is running now (21:23 UTC) 4:23 our time and has been running for a wile. I will let it run over night. I don't have high aspections...LOL The PA is hardly drawing any current from the PS. This tells me ...Not working ..re think this LOL

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 30, 2013
                        TNX Laurence for running you snapper window. I'm not happy with my setup. Power out from the PA is not what I expectaded. Looks like another loadong coil is inorder :-(

                        Rich
                        WD4RBX

                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 1, 2013
                          G wrote re OPERA :-

                          Never been tried before , past the  end of the  garden  path  , with  best  s/n  decode  at  -50 dB

                          Hey does that make me the world record holder. :-)

                          DJ8WX is visible now on my Grabber at 8970.022Hz , distance well in excess of 1000Km.

                          http://www.g3zjo.talktalk.net/vlfgrabber.htm

                          I am watching the OPERA tests with interest. Good luck.

                          73 Eddie G3ZJO

                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 1, 2013
                            Error. I did a quick line on Google maps this morning for the distance and got 1443Km so I rounded to over 1000Km as I knew it wasn't accurate.

                            Now for the the true distance.

                            Latitude: 53.897743  Longitude: 9.545486
                            Locator: JO43SV  (map, sat, terrain)
                            Distance from IO92NG - 718.874 km (446.69 mi)
                            Bearing ~ 71.31° (reverse bearing ~ 259.65°)
                            Midpoint - lat: 53.197066 lon: 4.234745

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 1, 2013
                                Umm errr, sticks wrong end grabbing, I think Graham.

                                I was only referring to using OPERA on 8.97KHz and my DX record decode at the end of my garden path. :-)

                                Regarding Stephan or Uwe or OK2BVG using QRSS6000 or QRSS 600000 they only need to get to Paul and they exceed my distance and Paul is not surrounded by houses.

                                Eddie

                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 1, 2013

                                  If your feeding  the  centre  of the  Ae there is still  going to  be a  lot  of  voltage  about ? , what  about a  plate  transformer , or a  neon  sign  transformer , that  will  have a double balanced  output , with a good  step  up  ratio , should  run on 8K ok ?

                                  G,

                                  Looks like a  no go , that  time  round

                                  TxmtrRcvrBandModeDistanceTime (UTC)
                                  WD4RBXWD4RBXvlfOPERA0 miles17:56:36
                                  KU4XRKU4XRvlfOPERA0 miles14:13:58

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 1, 2013
                                    Hi G; and the list:

                                    This was my first attempt to try to hear - Anything - other than electrical buzz
                                    on 8.9 KHz.. My Ae is my 160 meter Dipole with center, and shield clipped
                                    together.. The APEX is around 13 meters AGL.. I used a power supply choke
                                    as a loading coil, and 2 Air Variable capacitors, paralleled to ( tune ) the Ae
                                    for a peak in noise at 8.9 KHz.. Having no local signal source to check it with;
                                    I have no idea at all, if I am able to hear a real signal.. As I have learned from
                                    2200, and 4000 meters; hearing noise, and seeing the S meter moving does
                                    not mean the antenna is resonant, and able to hear a real signal on that frequency.

                                    I have a very drifty signal generator.. I might be able to connect a short piece of wire
                                    into the output jack, and see if I can hear it on the sound card setup, or see a carrier
                                    trace with Spec Lab.. I ( Must ) be able to verify that I have the ability to actually
                                    hear on 8.9 KHz before I can give a true reception report..

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 1, 2013

                                       Ok Andy

                                      I think  the  mini  whip   e-probe seems to  be the  thing to  use  on  vlf , most if not  all  the  grabbers  seem to  use this  type of Ae  , a  good  example  is http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

                                      Signal  wise for  setting up , anything  with a  audio  amp  will  do ? The tune  switch  on opera  outputs a  mid  band 8K  tone , just  use a  avo-8  or  any test  meter that  measures  ac-mA / ac uA , and tune  for  maximum , or  may  be the  voltage over  a  1 K  in series ,assuming the  Ae  will  be high Z ?

                                      I think  you  can  run sdr-sharp** or similar  directly  from the  sound card  , then  your  can use the  cw/ssb demodulator  , Gary runs  something  like that  for  8K , same as Opera  takes the  feed directly  from the sound card  for  Rx

                                      Once Rich sorts the  coupling  out , you  should  be able to see  something at 100 miles !

                                      73-G,

                                      **   http://sdrsharp.com/

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 2, 2013
                                        Andy,

                                        I wonder if this will work for tuning your antenna.

                                        Record the OPERA test signal for some suitable time. Maybe play it back through a boom box or some portable audio amp. Take the headphone jack (amp output) . If you can reach some part of the antenna or feed line before the tuner rap several turns of the speaker wire around your antenna or feed line. Plug in the external speaker and press play. I would turn the volume all the way down and slowly turn it up until you see a signal to tune.

                                        I really think this will work.

                                        Rich
                                        WD4RBX