RE: [O_P_E_R_A_] RE: Aircraft Reflections

  • Jose Alberto Nieto Ros
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 23 8:59 AM
      128ms. 19.200 kms minimum

      To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
      From: g0nbd@...
      Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 08:43:50 -0700
      Subject: [O_P_E_R_A_] RE: Aircraft Reflections

      Radar mile  is  = 10.7 uS  so  , for  say  100  miles  range  the  target  echo  will be  1070  uS  , OP0.5  512/60 ~ 8 mS  pw ? so  that's  over 10%  error   , that's  enough  to  register  as a  new contact ?

      --- In o_p_e_r_a_@yahoogroups.com, <nietoros@...> wrote:

      In the case of two signals at the same time with the same callsign, Opera only shown the stronger.

      If the aircraft is far, with more delay then it's possible to have 2 decodes, direct signal and reflected signal.

      To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
      From: g0nbd@...
      Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2013 11:08:35 -0700

      Gary,

      Try  a  re-run of this  in the  week , when the  number of  flights  will  be  higher , there  is  also  a  aircraft tracking   web  site  (somewhere !)  that  shows  'all'  the  traffic position  , that  may  be  a  handy guide as   to  which  route  is  being  used    270  or 150  should  be  good bearings ?

      G,

      --- In O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com, <o_p_e_r_a_@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hi All,

      Last night (Sat 21/09/2013) Graham G0NBD & myself were conducting tests
      on the 2 metre band using Opera Op0.05 on 144.180MHz. We were both
      beaming 150 degrees.

      At 2008 utc I noticed a strong second signal on the Opera waterfall but
      drifting LF then two decodes of Grahams beacon occurred. We decided that
      it was a reflection from an aircraft on our beam heading.

      At 2021 utc Graham had a similar reflection of my signal with the second
      trace moving HF but no decode.

      In view of this I set up a SpecLab screen running Fast morse "Tape
      reader" with captures at one minute intervals.
      Only one more signal was seen & recorded showing a reflection.

      See G4WGT Photo Album on Opera site Photo's section for both these
      captures.

      73, Gary - G4WGT.

    • Gary - G4WGT
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 23 10:50 AM
        Hi Dave,

        I had just found the "Flightradar24" last night, then we had a couple of mains power failures of about 3 hours in all.

        So thank you for all the links.

        73, Gary - G4WGT.

        On 23/09/2013 11:13, Dave wrote:

        There are several about the internet, but I find this system very helpful http://www.dj5ar.de/?tag=airscout

        I've found these sites to be useful as well.

        Cheers - Dave (G0DJA)

        No virus found in this message.