SUGGESTED TEMPORARY CHANGE TO MF QRG

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30, 2013
      SUGGESTED TEMPORARY CHANGE TO MF QRG

      Its proposed to drop the MF Opera operating QRG to 474.2 dial set USB

      As it would appear , the WSPR qrg is not to move back to the original 477 spot any time soon, to enable dual monitoring of Opera and WSPR as was the original status , Opera tones being arranged to fall out side the wspr pass band , the two modes coexist on the same dial-set usb qrg

      No change to the software is envisaged as an eventual return to 477 is anticipated once any band planning is implemented, or more normal use is made of the mid band.

      The move was previously suggested, but not implemented to prevent a clash with wspr-15 activity , which now appears to of subsided .

      Where as it was unlikely to compromise the Opera decode engine , it was evident from events that conversely wspr could of been affected.

      Comments any one ?

      Tnx- Graham
    • Brian Whittaker
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2013
        Hi Graham. Not too sure about this. I like both modes as you know. I think it could cause some friction. Have you tried asking the Wspr-blokes? Perhaps a post on the Wspr site might get a response.

        Cheers.

        Bri
        G0MJI
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2013
          Ok Brian,

          The 2 modes sat side by side for over a year or so on 502 Khz ,

          WSPR did initially join Opera on 477 , till the 'mad TA dash' to the middle of the band , we held back , as not wanting to add to the qrm , but the expected 'all mode' use has yet to materialize, activity will drop off over the summer as well , so dual monitoring will help both modes. using its also possible to tx the 2 modes via the same (linear!) Tx

          ROS MF data mode still remains at 476 and historic QSO mode activity could retain the 477 slot in the mean time and if activity reaches fever pitch , we can revert , but wspr and live CW has all ready been the subject of heated debate , as the ground wave at MF results in very high local 75 mile ish signal levels , not normally experienced on HF

          73-G.

          Message 4 of 4 , May 1, 2013
            Hi Graham.

            Yes why not, change !