Re: Getting new version into beacon mode...

  • BrianW
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
      --- In O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com, Bob Raide <rjraide@...> wrote:

      > Brian;
      > Turns out nothing is wrong. Well there is, but the program is working as it is supposed to. Jose increased the off time between transmissions to a minimum of 8 minutes in beacon mode. On HF the longer "on" times was causing to much QRM with the growing activity rate. Of course, we have very little activity-essentially Jay and me as the XSH group can't use this Beta format. It has turned out to be essentially an HF program.
      > I need something like WSPR with short off time and more decodable on time. There maybe a modification coming as I don't see how we can put OPERA to good use in beacon mode on LF bands-Bob
      >
      > Ok Bob, all understood. The qso mode is young so maybe new things are in the pipeline. Watch this space, as they say..

      I've just had my first and only beacon aknowledged by another station (right hand panel) Therefore I am assuming that the original, much slower beacon, is more efficient as a weak signal mode. I get more response to my beaconing using that.

      Have you tried saving/pasting the left hand panel by using the button provided by the way. My right hand one works, but the left does not. I can, however, highlight and save/paste the old fashioned way Hi!

      Cheers!, Brian

      > To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
      > From: jillxbrian@...
      > Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 09:18:49 +0000
      > Subject: [O_P_E_R_A_] Re: Getting new version into beacon mode...
      >

      > --- In O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com, "BrianW" <jillxbrian@> wrote:
      > >

      > > --- In O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com, Bob Raide <rjraide@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Anyone can help-I can't seem to get the clock to start it's count-down in beacon mode-it seems frozen. Bob
      > > >

      > > I've just dowloaded and fired up V1.3.5Beta Bob, the beacon works ok for me in qso mode.
      > >
      > > Cheers!, Brian
      > >
      > PS Although the beacon is working, I notice now that my station is not shown in the right hand panel indicationg which, if any, stations are receiving me. As per the normal beacon mode.
      >
      > I assume others are actually receiving me as I have had two qso's this morning
      >
      > Brian

    • Bob Raide
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
        Brian;
        Just got an e mail from Graham.  he said the "no space" mode on the newest download should work just fine. There will be a maximum of decodes possible which is ideal for LF beacon work. Will be on with it tonite at 2330-0500.
        OPERA's QSO mode is a hot item!  Of course, not much use for it on LF bands here in the states-Bob

        To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
        From: jillxbrian@...
        Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:48:51 +0000
        Subject: [O_P_E_R_A_] Re: Getting new version into beacon mode...

        --- In O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com, Bob Raide <rjraide@...> wrote:

        > Brian;
        > Turns out nothing is wrong. Well there is, but the program is working as it is supposed to. Jose increased the off time between transmissions to a minimum of 8 minutes in beacon mode. On HF the longer "on" times was causing to much QRM with the growing activity rate. Of course, we have very little activity-essentially Jay and me as the XSH group can't use this Beta format. It has turned out to be essentially an HF program.
        > I need something like WSPR with short off time and more decodable on time. There maybe a modification coming as I don't see how we can put OPERA to good use in beacon mode on LF bands-Bob
        >
        > Ok Bob, all understood. The qso mode is young so maybe new things are in the pipeline. Watch this space, as they say..

        I've just had my first and only beacon aknowledged by another station (right hand panel) Therefore I am assuming that the original, much slower beacon, is more efficient as a weak signal mode. I get more response to my beaconing using that.

        Have you tried saving/pasting the left hand panel by using the button provided by the way. My right hand one works, but the left does not. I can, however, highlight and save/paste the old fashioned way Hi!

        Cheers!, Brian

        > To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
        > From: jillxbrian@...
        > Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 09:18:49 +0000
        > Subject: [O_P_E_R_A_] Re: Getting new version into beacon mode...
        >

        > --- In O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com, "BrianW" <jillxbrian@> wrote:
        > >

        > > --- In O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com, Bob Raide <rjraide@> wrote:
        > > >

        > > > Anyone can help-I can't seem to get the clock to start it's count-down in beacon mode-it seems frozen. Bob
        > > >

        > > I've just dowloaded and fired up V1.3.5Beta Bob, the beacon works ok for me in qso mode.
        > >
        > > Cheers!, Brian
        > >
        > PS Although the beacon is working, I notice now that my station is not shown in the right hand panel indicationg which, if any, stations are receiving me. As per the normal beacon mode.
        >
        > I assume others are actually receiving me as I have had two qso's this morning
        >
        > Brian

      • Brian Walker
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
          Ok Bob.  Too late for me  I'm aftraid, I need my beauty sleep Hi!. Apart from that I'm antenna challenged for LF, and don't have the 500 Khz variation anyway.  20 metres is my bag at the moment. Have fun tonite GD DX-Brian.

          To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
          From: jillxbrian@...
          Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:48:51 +0000

          --- In O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com, Bob Raide <rjraide@...> wrote:

          > Brian;
          > Turns out nothing is wrong. Well there is, but the program is working as it is supposed to. Jose increased the off time between transmissions to a minimum of 8 minutes in beacon mode. On HF the longer "on" times was causing to much QRM with the growing activity rate. Of course, we have very little activity-essentially Jay and me as the XSH group can't use this Beta format. It has turned out to be essentially an HF program.
          > I need something like WSPR with short off time and more decodable on time. There maybe a modification coming as I don't see how we can put OPERA to good use in beacon mode on LF bands-Bob
          >
          > Ok Bob, all understood. The qso mode is young so maybe new things are in the pipeline. Watch this space, as they say..

          I've just had my first and only beacon aknowledged by another station (right hand panel) Therefore I am assuming that the original, much slower beacon, is more efficient as a weak signal mode. I get more response to my beaconing using that.

          Have you tried saving/pasting the left hand panel by using the button provided by the way. My right hand one works, but the left does not. I can, however, highlight and save/paste the old fashioned way Hi!

          Cheers!, Brian

          > To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
          > From: jillxbrian@...
          > Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 09:18:49 +0000
          > Subject: [O_P_E_R_A_] Re: Getting new version into beacon mode...
          >

          > --- In O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com, "BrianW" <jillxbrian@> wrote:
          > >

          > > --- In O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com, Bob Raide <rjraide@> wrote:
          > > >

          > > > Anyone can help-I can't seem to get the clock to start it's count-down in beacon mode-it seems frozen. Bob
          > > >

          > > I've just dowloaded and fired up V1.3.5Beta Bob, the beacon works ok for me in qso mode.
          > >
          > > Cheers!, Brian
          > >
          > PS Although the beacon is working, I notice now that my station is not shown in the right hand panel indicationg which, if any, stations are receiving me. As per the normal beacon mode.
          >
          > I assume others are actually receiving me as I have had two qso's this morning
          >
          > Brian

        • Bob Raide
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2012
            Thanks Brian-don't blame you. If I am up beyond 0600 I am a zombie the next day-73, Bob

            To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com
            From: jillxbrian@...
            Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 22:08:11 +0000

            To: O_P_E_R_A_@yahoogroups.com