Mac Book

  • Linda
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
      Is it possible to download OTTER to a Mac Book. I have recently changed to one and am having trouble. I am a real IT dummy so any help would be appreciated. Many thanks
    • Tremaine Lea
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
        Based on the description of OTTER it appears to be a Windows only application. It may be possible to get it running under an emulator, but if you're unfamiliar with that level of hackery I wouldn't recommend it.

        Tremaine Lea
        Security Engineer

        On 5 December 2012 04:28, Linda <lindagray2610@...> wrote:

        Is it possible to download OTTER to a Mac Book. I have recently changed to one and am having trouble. I am a real IT dummy so any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

      • John Witiw

          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
            Not sure I understand the question. I collect OTR and broadcasts from the two world wars... what is it you wanted to know?

            On a side note, do you have a relative in Calgary named Gary by any chance?

            Tremaine Lea
            Security Engineer

            On 5 December 2012 08:15, John Witiw <johnwitiw@...> wrote:

            Who are you people?

          • John Witiw

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012

                  The only email you should have seen from me prior to my reply to your question would have been to the OTR Yahoo group. If you aren't a member of it you will probably want to unsubscribe from the mailing list.

                  Tremaine Lea

                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 5, 2012
                    Interesting guy, definitely worth meeting if you can get past the fact he's an Edmonton Oiler's fan ~laugh~ I worked with him at EnCana for some time, and you're only the second person I've encountered with the Witiw last name, figured there was a chance you were related.

                    Cheers,

                    Tremaine Lea
                    Security Engineer

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 6, 2012

                      Hi, I switched to Macs in 2008 and love it.

                      Macs can run Windows AND Mac programs while WIndows can only run Windows programs.

                      All Macs come with Boot Camp pre-installed that walks you through the process of setting up a "Windows side" to your Macbook and you can also look up YouTube videos on how to do it fairly easily, too.  Downside is that you have to shut down to go to the Windows side.

                      There are a few programs like Parallels and VMWare Fusion that you can buy, though, that make it super-easy and allow you to have the Windows side and the Mac side running simultaneously.  We used VMWare Fusion when we switched in 2008, but really haven't needed it since that first week once we got the hang of Macs.

                      Either of these solutions should help you if you need to run Otter (or any other Windows only program.)

                      Good luck!
                      Deborah