Project OTR to close??

    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
      Hi Guys,
      I'm considering closing Project OTR as a Yahoo Group.  My thoughts are that the information has already been posted to www.otrr.org before it's posted here.

      I update each individual text log file, update the OTRR database, and make the corrections as to when the file was last updated.

      Then I come here - upload the individual text files and indicate what they have been updated for - then Have to go post a message and say I've done all this.

      The info posted on the Yahoo group site is basically a duplication of what's already available at the web site, with the execption of stating what the individual text file was changed for.  This can be remided by  just posting a notice to the blog site on the web site.

      This will save me about 20-25 hours of work each month.

      Anyone think of any reason for keeping the Project OTR site on yahoo open, please speak now.

      jimb
    • kurtluchs@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
        Save yourself the work! It's the info that matters, not posting it twice.

        Kurt Luchs

        In a message dated 7/29/09 4:30:35 PM, beshiresjim@... writes:

[...]

        **************
        Hot Deals at Dell on Popular Laptops perfect for Back to School (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223106546x1201717234/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D8)
      • Christopher Zeman
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 29, 2009
          I don't see any reason to post it twice, especially when you're donating your time that could probably be put towards other projects or R&R.

          Chris

          Jim Beshires wrote:

[...]

        • Frederick J. Barnett
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 30, 2009
            I see no reason to keep the group either.

            --
            Frederick J. Barnett http://www.eatel.net/~fred/
            "Someone's got to take the responsibility if the job's going to get done!! Do you think that's easy?!" Gregory Peck - The Guns Of Navarone

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 30, 2009
                Yes Close It, Please

                The Web Site Is Much Better Anyway

                Mark
                SpartaOTR.Com
                MyAAGrapeVines.Com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 30, 2009
                    Thanks for all the work.

                    You could keep the group and on any day you did an update send an email to this group: "an update has been made to the database and website". This would give an email prompt, with minimal effort to you, for people to go there at the appropriate time and find out what the changes were.

                    --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Beshires" <beshiresjim@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Guys,
                    > I'm considering closing Project OTR as a Yahoo Group. My thoughts are
                    > that the information has already been posted to www.otrr.org before it's
                    > posted here.
                    >
                    > I update each individual text log file, update the OTRR database, and
                    > make the corrections as to when the file was last updated.
                    >
                    > Then I come here - upload the individual text files and indicate what
                    > they have been updated for - then Have to go post a message and say I've
                    > done all this.
                    >
                    > The info posted on the Yahoo group site is basically a duplication of
                    > what's already available at the web site, with the execption of stating
                    > what the individual text file was changed for. This can be remided by
                    > just posting a notice to the blog site on the web site.
                    >
                    > This will save me about 20-25 hours of work each month.
                    >
                    > Anyone think of any reason for keeping the Project OTR site on yahoo
                    > open, please speak now.
                    >
                    > jimb

                  • Butch Gentry
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1, 2009
                      Duplication of works already done is a waste of time, I believe.  Go ahead and shut down the site.  No problems on this end.
                      Butch
                        >Duplication of works already done is a waste of time, I believe. Go
                        >ahead and shut down the site. No problems on this end.
                        >Butch

                        I agree 100%. Go ahead & close the group.....

                      • obyvatel22
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 9, 2009
                          Agree completely, too.