Re: Otter or ID3 Limit

  • Marc Olayne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2009
      --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Sehlhorst" <ed_sehlhorst@...>
      wrote:

      > I just noticed my current certification series, Cavalcade of America,
      > has a limit of 255 for the ID3 Track Number Tag. This tag is casually
      > used for the episode number.
      >
      > My question is this anomaly a function of Otter or of the ID3 tag
      > field size limit?
      >
      > For this series, I will simply not fill the value since the episode
      > number is also available in the Album Title tag.
      >
      > thanks for any feedback for future reference
      > ed

      Ed,

      The track number/episode anomaly is in Otter, not the ID3 tag field
      size. As you found, it occurs when there are more than 255 eps.

      I have previously noted the problem, along with the fact that Otter
      does not fill the Genre part of the ID3 tag (of some
      importance/convenience on ipods).

      I use Mp3Tag (from mp3tag.de) to fill these portions of the ID3 tag. I
      have used a mask function in mp3tag to get it to fill the ID3 Track
      Number Tag from the episode number in the Otter-generated file name.
      If you try the app, I can give you more specific instructions.

      I've used mp3tag for years; it's freeware, and I recommend it.

      Marc Olayne
    • Kurt
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2009
        Ed,

        Just to offer another alternative...

        Of late I've been using Otter for file renaming then Media Monkey for
        a) MP3 auto-tagging from file name (obviously requires standardizing
        your file names first), b) doing blanket changes like adding genre or
        image tags from the Properties menu, and c) auto-numbering tracks from
        the Scripts menu. It's been working well for me. You can find the
        free version of Media Monkey at:

        http://www.mediamonkey.com/download/

        Kurt