Otter or ID3 Limit

  • Ed Sehlhorst
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2009
      I just noticed my current certification series, Cavalcade of America,
      has a limit of 255 for the ID3 Track Number Tag. This tag is casually
      used for the episode number.

      My question is this anomaly a function of Otter or of the ID3 tag
      field size limit?

      For this series, I will simply not fill the value since the episode
      number is also available in the Album Title tag.

      thanks for any feedback for future reference
      ed
    • Marc Olayne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 20, 2009
        --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Ed Sehlhorst" <ed_sehlhorst@...>
        wrote:

        > I just noticed my current certification series, Cavalcade of America,
        > has a limit of 255 for the ID3 Track Number Tag. This tag is casually
        > used for the episode number.
        >
        > My question is this anomaly a function of Otter or of the ID3 tag
        > field size limit?
        >
        > For this series, I will simply not fill the value since the episode
        > number is also available in the Album Title tag.
        >
        > thanks for any feedback for future reference
        > ed

        Ed,

        The track number/episode anomaly is in Otter, not the ID3 tag field
        size. As you found, it occurs when there are more than 255 eps.

        I have previously noted the problem, along with the fact that Otter
        does not fill the Genre part of the ID3 tag (of some
        importance/convenience on ipods).

        I use Mp3Tag (from mp3tag.de) to fill these portions of the ID3 tag. I
        have used a mask function in mp3tag to get it to fill the ID3 Track
        Number Tag from the episode number in the Otter-generated file name.
        If you try the app, I can give you more specific instructions.

        I've used mp3tag for years; it's freeware, and I recommend it.

        Marc Olayne
      • Kurt
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 21, 2009
          Ed,

          Just to offer another alternative...

          Of late I've been using Otter for file renaming then Media Monkey for
          a) MP3 auto-tagging from file name (obviously requires standardizing
          your file names first), b) doing blanket changes like adding genre or
          image tags from the Properties menu, and c) auto-numbering tracks from
          the Scripts menu. It's been working well for me. You can find the
          free version of Media Monkey at:

          http://www.mediamonkey.com/download/

          Kurt