Re: DC++

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009

      --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gilroy <yorli@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mark,
      > I have DC++ .707 with Vista Home Premium.  I can log in to the hub, but cannot connect to any of the members.  Keeps timing out.  Any suggestions.
      > Thanks
      > BoB

       are you behind a firewall, or router?  If so, you will have to make some changes in them to allow you to connect properly.  Also check to see if you are running in Active mode.  If so, change it to Passive mode.  That may help.

      jimb

    • Robert Gilroy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
        Hi Jim,
        I appreciate your taking time to respond to a mundane request like this when you have much more important things to deal with.
        I was on a router and could not get that to work so, I connected directly to the modem - that made no difference.
        I have a windows firewall but allow DC++ through.
        I have done everything I can think of, but to no effect...
        In desperation I did switch to passive mode and that works.  However, I would like to be in active mode... but for now it is working.
        Thanks for your input.
        BoB

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2009
          Bob,

          FWIW, I had a few challenges along the road to Active mode as well,
          which may or may not apply to you, but I'll send them along in hope...

          1. I'm still using a dynamic IP address, so whenever I start up my
          machine and the DC++, I have to grab the IP address shown in the OTRR
          Group Hub banner, go into the File-> Settings menu and replace the IP
          address. Going static is on my to do list.........

          2. I don't pretend to understand or recall all the hoops I jumped
          thru to get to this configuration, but I am am using a Linksys router
          for a DSL connection and my connection setting seems to need to
          be "Firewall with manual port forwarding". To effect the port
          forwarding, you've got to go into the router software, go
          to "Advanced" and then the "Forwarding" tab, supply a UDP and a TCP
          port value and your internal IP address (this can be found by
          running "ipconfig" from a Windows command prompt). Supply those port
          numbers in the appropriate spaces back in the DC++ Connection
          Settings dialog. One word of warning re something that keeps coming
          back to bite me... even after you've got Active mode running
          correctly, it seems that the internal IP address gets regenerated
          periodically according to no rhyme or reason I know of... if all of a
          sudden you can't get into "Active" mode anymore, you may need to go
          get the new value and plug it into the router software port
          forwarding page again. Seems to happen to me every month or two.

          3. To get a more complete and coherent explanation, the "Getting
          Started" section of the DC++ help menu can fill in the gaps...took a
          few readings, but eventually I found it had everything I needed to
          get the job done. It's very well done.

          Important disclaimer: I'm not especially well versed in this stuff,
          so take what I've written with a grain of salt, your mileage may
          vary, etc., etc...... and good luck!

          Kurt