Re: [OTR-Project] DC++

  • Robert Gilroy
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 27, 2008
      Hi Mark,
      I have DC++ .707 with Vista Home Premium.  I can log in to the hub, but cannot connect to any of the members.  Keeps timing out.  Any suggestions.
      Thanks
      BoB

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009

        --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gilroy <yorli@...> wrote:

        > Hi Mark,
        > I have DC++ .707 with Vista Home Premium.  I can log in to the hub, but cannot connect to any of the members.  Keeps timing out.  Any suggestions.
        > Thanks
        > BoB

         are you behind a firewall, or router?  If so, you will have to make some changes in them to allow you to connect properly.  Also check to see if you are running in Active mode.  If so, change it to Passive mode.  That may help.

        jimb

      • Robert Gilroy
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
          Hi Jim,
          I appreciate your taking time to respond to a mundane request like this when you have much more important things to deal with.
          I was on a router and could not get that to work so, I connected directly to the modem - that made no difference.
          I have a windows firewall but allow DC++ through.
          I have done everything I can think of, but to no effect...
          In desperation I did switch to passive mode and that works.  However, I would like to be in active mode... but for now it is working.
          Thanks for your input.
          BoB

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 7, 2009
            Bob,

            FWIW, I had a few challenges along the road to Active mode as well,
            which may or may not apply to you, but I'll send them along in hope...

            1. I'm still using a dynamic IP address, so whenever I start up my
            machine and the DC++, I have to grab the IP address shown in the OTRR
            Group Hub banner, go into the File-> Settings menu and replace the IP
            address. Going static is on my to do list.........

            2. I don't pretend to understand or recall all the hoops I jumped
            thru to get to this configuration, but I am am using a Linksys router
            for a DSL connection and my connection setting seems to need to
            be "Firewall with manual port forwarding". To effect the port
            forwarding, you've got to go into the router software, go
            to "Advanced" and then the "Forwarding" tab, supply a UDP and a TCP
            port value and your internal IP address (this can be found by
            running "ipconfig" from a Windows command prompt). Supply those port
            numbers in the appropriate spaces back in the DC++ Connection
            Settings dialog. One word of warning re something that keeps coming
            back to bite me... even after you've got Active mode running
            correctly, it seems that the internal IP address gets regenerated
            periodically according to no rhyme or reason I know of... if all of a
            sudden you can't get into "Active" mode anymore, you may need to go
            get the new value and plug it into the router software port
            forwarding page again. Seems to happen to me every month or two.

            3. To get a more complete and coherent explanation, the "Getting
            Started" section of the DC++ help menu can fill in the gaps...took a
            few readings, but eventually I found it had everything I needed to
            get the job done. It's very well done.

            Important disclaimer: I'm not especially well versed in this stuff,
            so take what I've written with a grain of salt, your mileage may
            vary, etc., etc...... and good luck!

            Kurt