DC++

  • Johnathan
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 22, 2008
      Can anyone tell me if and what the best DC++ version will work with
      Windows Vista? Thanks
    • Ron Madara
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 25, 2008

        I’m using DC ++ 0.707 with Vista Ultimate…no issues to report.

        Ron

        Can anyone tell me if and what the best DC++ version will work with
        Windows Vista? Thanks

      • Mark Farmer
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 26, 2008
          What Is DC ++?

          Mark Farmer
          SpartaOTR.Com

          Sent: Thursday, December 25, 2008 2:55 PM
          Subject: RE: [OTR-Project] DC++

          I’m using DC ++ 0.707 with Vista Ultimate…no issues to report.

          Ron

          Can anyone tell me if and what the best DC++ version will work with
          Windows Vista? Thanks

        • Robert Gilroy
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 27, 2008
            Hi Mark,
            I have DC++ .707 with Vista Home Premium.  I can log in to the hub, but cannot connect to any of the members.  Keeps timing out.  Any suggestions.
            Thanks
            BoB

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009

              --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gilroy <yorli@...> wrote:

              > Hi Mark,
              > I have DC++ .707 with Vista Home Premium.  I can log in to the hub, but cannot connect to any of the members.  Keeps timing out.  Any suggestions.
              > Thanks
              > BoB

               are you behind a firewall, or router?  If so, you will have to make some changes in them to allow you to connect properly.  Also check to see if you are running in Active mode.  If so, change it to Passive mode.  That may help.

              jimb

            • Robert Gilroy
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 6, 2009
                Hi Jim,
                I appreciate your taking time to respond to a mundane request like this when you have much more important things to deal with.
                I was on a router and could not get that to work so, I connected directly to the modem - that made no difference.
                I have a windows firewall but allow DC++ through.
                I have done everything I can think of, but to no effect...
                In desperation I did switch to passive mode and that works.  However, I would like to be in active mode... but for now it is working.
                Thanks for your input.
                BoB

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 7, 2009
                  Bob,

                  FWIW, I had a few challenges along the road to Active mode as well,
                  which may or may not apply to you, but I'll send them along in hope...

                  1. I'm still using a dynamic IP address, so whenever I start up my
                  machine and the DC++, I have to grab the IP address shown in the OTRR
                  Group Hub banner, go into the File-> Settings menu and replace the IP
                  address. Going static is on my to do list.........

                  2. I don't pretend to understand or recall all the hoops I jumped
                  thru to get to this configuration, but I am am using a Linksys router
                  for a DSL connection and my connection setting seems to need to
                  be "Firewall with manual port forwarding". To effect the port
                  forwarding, you've got to go into the router software, go
                  to "Advanced" and then the "Forwarding" tab, supply a UDP and a TCP
                  port value and your internal IP address (this can be found by
                  running "ipconfig" from a Windows command prompt). Supply those port
                  numbers in the appropriate spaces back in the DC++ Connection
                  Settings dialog. One word of warning re something that keeps coming
                  back to bite me... even after you've got Active mode running
                  correctly, it seems that the internal IP address gets regenerated
                  periodically according to no rhyme or reason I know of... if all of a
                  sudden you can't get into "Active" mode anymore, you may need to go
                  get the new value and plug it into the router software port
                  forwarding page again. Seems to happen to me every month or two.

                  3. To get a more complete and coherent explanation, the "Getting
                  Started" section of the DC++ help menu can fill in the gaps...took a
                  few readings, but eventually I found it had everything I needed to
                  get the job done. It's very well done.

                  Important disclaimer: I'm not especially well versed in this stuff,
                  so take what I've written with a grain of salt, your mileage may
                  vary, etc., etc...... and good luck!

                  Kurt