Re: Lux Radio Theater log

  • Kurt
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
      --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Steinberg"
      <nightkey5@...> wrote:

      > In the Lux Radio Theater, the term (repeat) has been added after the
      > title of over 100 shows. Unless the exact same show was repeated, I
      > don't see the point of pointing out the same story was used
      > previously. To put it another way, if a new cast re-does a story, I
      > don't consider it a repeat. I am proposing to delete the term
      (repeat)
      > from throughout the log, but wanted to get other opinions before
      doing
      > this.

      Andrew,

      I'm with you on this. No need to clutter the log with excess
      notations unless the subsequent airings are literally rebroadcasts of
      transcriptions. This is a simple but clear approach that is already
      the norm in most other logs where multiple uses of the same script
      have occurred, based on what I've seen in my limited travels in
      Otter. There are already plenty of log-by-log idiosyncrasies out
      there which would benefit from similar cleanup to what you suggest
      rather than piling on more one-off decision making efforts.

      Kurt
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
        I don't think repeat should be in there either. How about listing
        the one or two main actors that make it different.

        Scott

        --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt" <schriever@...> wrote:

        > --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Steinberg"
        > <nightkey5@> wrote:
        > >
        > > In the Lux Radio Theater, the term (repeat) has been added after
        the
        > > title of over 100 shows. Unless the exact same show was
        repeated, I
        > > don't see the point of pointing out the same story was used
        > > previously. To put it another way, if a new cast re-does a
        story, I
        > > don't consider it a repeat. I am proposing to delete the term
        > (repeat)
        > > from throughout the log, but wanted to get other opinions before
        > doing
        > > this.
        > >

        > Andrew,
        >
        > I'm with you on this. No need to clutter the log with excess
        > notations unless the subsequent airings are literally rebroadcasts
        of
        > transcriptions. This is a simple but clear approach that is
        already
        > the norm in most other logs where multiple uses of the same script
        > have occurred, based on what I've seen in my limited travels in
        > Otter. There are already plenty of log-by-log idiosyncrasies out
        > there which would benefit from similar cleanup to what you suggest
        > rather than piling on more one-off decision making efforts.
        >
        > Kurt

      • Andrew Steinberg
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
          I tried adding identifiers with the Escape log. Sometimes, it was
          difficult because the same main actors were in multiple versions of the
          same story and I had to list someone really obscure. I am not opposed
          to trying that with Lux, but, I don't have the time to do that properly
          with over 100 repeats.
        • Edwin Cox
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
            Wouldn't the air date be sufficient to identify the program as different from the original?

            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
              The question is what is the purpose of the log. Is it to list dates
              and titles only? Or is the purpose to also provide a manner to assist
              collectors in sorting out mislabeled shows where the title of the
              story is correct but the date may be incorrect? Information in the
              title field such as actors *could* be helpful, but too much
              information in the title field leads to clutter.

              Ideally, the wiki pages would be the best resource for listing actors,
              etc. in assisting in the sorting out of shows.