Re: Lux Radio Theater log

  • georgewagner@fuse.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
      Or simply "Re-Enactment"?

      Sincerely,

      George Wagner
      georgewagner@...
    • Kurt
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
        --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Steinberg"
        <nightkey5@...> wrote:

        > In the Lux Radio Theater, the term (repeat) has been added after the
        > title of over 100 shows. Unless the exact same show was repeated, I
        > don't see the point of pointing out the same story was used
        > previously. To put it another way, if a new cast re-does a story, I
        > don't consider it a repeat. I am proposing to delete the term
        (repeat)
        > from throughout the log, but wanted to get other opinions before
        doing
        > this.

        Andrew,

        I'm with you on this. No need to clutter the log with excess
        notations unless the subsequent airings are literally rebroadcasts of
        transcriptions. This is a simple but clear approach that is already
        the norm in most other logs where multiple uses of the same script
        have occurred, based on what I've seen in my limited travels in
        Otter. There are already plenty of log-by-log idiosyncrasies out
        there which would benefit from similar cleanup to what you suggest
        rather than piling on more one-off decision making efforts.

        Kurt
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
          I don't think repeat should be in there either. How about listing
          the one or two main actors that make it different.

          Scott

          --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt" <schriever@...> wrote:

          > --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Steinberg"
          > <nightkey5@> wrote:
          > >
          > > In the Lux Radio Theater, the term (repeat) has been added after
          the
          > > title of over 100 shows. Unless the exact same show was
          repeated, I
          > > don't see the point of pointing out the same story was used
          > > previously. To put it another way, if a new cast re-does a
          story, I
          > > don't consider it a repeat. I am proposing to delete the term
          > (repeat)
          > > from throughout the log, but wanted to get other opinions before
          > doing
          > > this.
          > >

          > Andrew,
          >
          > I'm with you on this. No need to clutter the log with excess
          > notations unless the subsequent airings are literally rebroadcasts
          of
          > transcriptions. This is a simple but clear approach that is
          already
          > the norm in most other logs where multiple uses of the same script
          > have occurred, based on what I've seen in my limited travels in
          > Otter. There are already plenty of log-by-log idiosyncrasies out
          > there which would benefit from similar cleanup to what you suggest
          > rather than piling on more one-off decision making efforts.
          >
          > Kurt

        • Andrew Steinberg
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
            I tried adding identifiers with the Escape log. Sometimes, it was
            difficult because the same main actors were in multiple versions of the
            same story and I had to list someone really obscure. I am not opposed
            to trying that with Lux, but, I don't have the time to do that properly
            with over 100 repeats.
          • Edwin Cox
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
              Wouldn't the air date be sufficient to identify the program as different from the original?

              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                The question is what is the purpose of the log. Is it to list dates
                and titles only? Or is the purpose to also provide a manner to assist
                collectors in sorting out mislabeled shows where the title of the
                story is correct but the date may be incorrect? Information in the
                title field such as actors *could* be helpful, but too much
                information in the title field leads to clutter.

                Ideally, the wiki pages would be the best resource for listing actors,
                etc. in assisting in the sorting out of shows.