Lux Radio Theater log

  • Andrew Steinberg
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
      In the Lux Radio Theater, the term (repeat) has been added after the
      title of over 100 shows. Unless the exact same show was repeated, I
      don't see the point of pointing out the same story was used
      previously. To put it another way, if a new cast re-does a story, I
      don't consider it a repeat. I am proposing to delete the term (repeat)
      from throughout the log, but wanted to get other opinions before doing
      this.
    • Floyd B Tankantum
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
        Perhaps the term "Re-Cast" could be inserted--meaning same story
        with NEW cast--whaddya think?

        FLBTM

        --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Steinberg"

      • georgewagner@fuse.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
          ---- Floyd B Tankantum <flbtm@...> wrote:

          'Perhaps the term "Re-Cast" could be inserted--meaning same story with NEW cast--whaddya think?'

          But even if the SAME cast is used six months or a year (or longer) later, isn't it STILL a "new" broadcast? The actors' interpretations and emphases are never going to be EXACTLY the same. Indeed, there are oftentimes noticeable differences between East Coast broadcasts and West Coast live repeats, done the very same day.

          Transcribed re-broadcasts are of course another matter entirely.

          Sincerely,

          George Wagner
          georgewagner@...
        • cordbuff@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
            how about Redo or Redone

          • georgewagner@fuse.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2008
              Or simply "Re-Enactment"?

              Sincerely,

              George Wagner
              georgewagner@...
            • Kurt
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
                <nightkey5@...> wrote:

                > In the Lux Radio Theater, the term (repeat) has been added after the
                > title of over 100 shows. Unless the exact same show was repeated, I
                > don't see the point of pointing out the same story was used
                > previously. To put it another way, if a new cast re-does a story, I
                > don't consider it a repeat. I am proposing to delete the term
                (repeat)
                > from throughout the log, but wanted to get other opinions before
                doing
                > this.

                Andrew,

                I'm with you on this. No need to clutter the log with excess
                notations unless the subsequent airings are literally rebroadcasts of
                transcriptions. This is a simple but clear approach that is already
                the norm in most other logs where multiple uses of the same script
                have occurred, based on what I've seen in my limited travels in
                Otter. There are already plenty of log-by-log idiosyncrasies out
                there which would benefit from similar cleanup to what you suggest
                rather than piling on more one-off decision making efforts.

                Kurt
              • Scott
                Message 7 of 10 , Dec 2, 2008
                  I don't think repeat should be in there either. How about listing
                  the one or two main actors that make it different.

                  Scott

                  --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Kurt" <schriever@...> wrote:

                  > --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Steinberg"
                  > <nightkey5@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > In the Lux Radio Theater, the term (repeat) has been added after
                  the
                  > > title of over 100 shows. Unless the exact same show was
                  repeated, I
                  > > don't see the point of pointing out the same story was used
                  > > previously. To put it another way, if a new cast re-does a
                  story, I
                  > > don't consider it a repeat. I am proposing to delete the term
                  > (repeat)
                  > > from throughout the log, but wanted to get other opinions before
                  > doing
                  > > this.
                  > >

                  > Andrew,
                  >
                  > I'm with you on this. No need to clutter the log with excess
                  > notations unless the subsequent airings are literally rebroadcasts
                  of
                  > transcriptions. This is a simple but clear approach that is
                  already
                  > the norm in most other logs where multiple uses of the same script
                  > have occurred, based on what I've seen in my limited travels in
                  > Otter. There are already plenty of log-by-log idiosyncrasies out
                  > there which would benefit from similar cleanup to what you suggest
                  > rather than piling on more one-off decision making efforts.
                  >
                  > Kurt

                • Andrew Steinberg
                  Message 8 of 10 , Dec 3, 2008
                    I tried adding identifiers with the Escape log. Sometimes, it was
                    difficult because the same main actors were in multiple versions of the
                    same story and I had to list someone really obscure. I am not opposed
                    to trying that with Lux, but, I don't have the time to do that properly
                    with over 100 repeats.
                  • Edwin Cox
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                      Wouldn't the air date be sufficient to identify the program as different from the original?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 4, 2008
                        The question is what is the purpose of the log. Is it to list dates
                        and titles only? Or is the purpose to also provide a manner to assist
                        collectors in sorting out mislabeled shows where the title of the
                        story is correct but the date may be incorrect? Information in the
                        title field such as actors *could* be helpful, but too much
                        information in the title field leads to clutter.

                        Ideally, the wiki pages would be the best resource for listing actors,
                        etc. in assisting in the sorting out of shows.