Re: American Agent

  • Andrew Steinberg
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2006
      I thought that a show had to have 3 available episodes to get a log?
      Has that changed? This show has one available.
    • Ben Kibler
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28, 2006
        never heard of that rule - I sent it to Jim B - he entered it into OTTER

        Ben K

      • Fred Bertelsen
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 29, 2006
          American Agent is included in the singles and doubles collection. Twice I might add, first as American agent and secondly as Bob Barkley, Undercover Agent. These are the exact same program.

          Fred

          Saving the past for the future.

          Fans of Oldtime Radio Please check out the OTR Researchers Group website at

        • Ben Kibler
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
            The Series 'American Agent' was 1st listed in the Los Angeles Times radio logs on Wednesday, October 11, 1950 under the title 'Under Cover Agent' at 9:00pm on station KECA (an ABC affiliate).

            The 2nd listing on October 18, 1950 was listed under the title 'American Agent'

            I have downloaded the following PDF files:

              aa50-10-11 [L] Under Cover Agent We 900 KECA.pdf
              aa50-10-18 [L] American Agent We 900 KECA.pdf
              aa50-10-25 [L] American Agent We 900 KECA - (PRE-EMPTED by R. Nixon).pdf
              aa50-11-01 [L] American Agent We 830 KECA - (time change).pdf

            Then the New York Times listed the series premiere on Wednesday, November 1, 1950 on the ABC affiliate WJZ at 8:30pm.

              aa50-11-01 [n] American Agent We 830 WJZ - PREMIERE (W Bob Barclay).pdf

            The 1st Chicago Tribune listing was on Wednesday, November 29, 1950 at 7:00pm on WLS, also an ABC affiliate.

              aa50-11-29 [c] American Agent We 700 WLS.pdf

            The 1st Dallas Morning News listing for the series was found as 'Don Barclay' on Wednesday, October 11, 1950 - broadcast at 7:30pm over WFAA-WBAP(ABC).

              AA50-10-11 [d] Don Barclay We 730 WFAA-WBAP(ABC).PD
              AA50-10-18 [d] Don Barclay We 730 WFAA-WBAP(ABC).PD
              AA50-10-25 [d] Don Barclay We 730 WFAA-WBAP(ABC).PD
              AA50-11-01 [d] Don Barclay We 730 WFAA-WBAP(ABC).PD
              AA50-11-08 [d] Don Barclay We 730 WFAA-WBAP(ABC).PD
              AA50-11-15 [d] Don Barclay We 730 WFAA-WBAP(ABC).PD
              AA50-11-22 [d] Don Barclay We 730 WFAA-WBAP(ABC).PD
              AA50-11-29 [d] American Agent We 700 WFAA-WBAP(ABC).PD

            I found no listings in the Washington Post for 'American Agent' or for 'Bob/Don Barclay' during the period the series ran in the other areas.

            Additionally, Andrew Steinberg posted a notice that we are to only include logs with 3 or more episodes. I looked at the current OTTER log which has a bunch of dates/titles for the American Agent series which seem to have been obtained from Terry Salomonson's 'Audio Classics Archive' website under the 'Bob Barclay - American Agent' series and he states "All scripts are in the Audio Classics Archive collection along with recordings of the rehearsals and actual broadcasts.".

            As far as the 'three episode' ruling goes, I believe that since we have access to the ProQuest Historical Newspaper database we should drop that rule because now we have some facts on which to base a valid log.

            The one and only episode that is being shared seems to be episode # 1, wherein Bob Barclay is introduced. I have changed my file's title to "Woman Of Mystery" as found in Salomonson's log and believe all copies should be so labeled.

            Ben Kibler

            Message 5 of 6 , May 1 7:39 PM
              --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Steinberg" <nightkey5@...>
              wrote:

              > I thought that a show had to have 3 available episodes to get a log?
              > Has that changed? This show has one available.

              Hey Andrew,
              The rule was that a series had to have at least 5 known broadcast dates
              in order to have a log. Available episodes didn't come into play as we
              have a singles and doubles collection, and I am working on a 3 and 4
              collection.
              Message 6 of 6 , May 1 7:53 PM
                --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, Ben Kibler <ben_kibler48309@...>
                wrote:

                > The Series 'American Agent' was 1st listed in the Los Angeles Times
                radio logs on Wednesday, October 11, 1950 under the title 'Under Cover
                Agent' at 9:00pm on station KECA (an ABC affiliate).

                Since the log is already in as 'Bob Barclay- American Agent' I think we
                should leave it 'as is'. We are attempting to get the series from
                Terry.