Re: Kick in the teeth

  • pmschrama
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2006
      After reading the two special messages from Jimb, I've read all the
      some more. I've just about read every post in the forum there.

      Otter's author has decided to post everything in the current database
      on his website and to allow users to edit it. I can understand the
      anger this causes with all the people which have strived to make the
      database more complete and more correct. Frankly, i would be pissed
      off myself if something like that happened to me.
      His decision to do so, probably is a financially inspired as the site
      is riddled with all kind of add's.

      Making the information on that website directly editable by anybody
      is foolish, if not stupid, as Wikipedia has found out. Any prankster
      could corrupt all the editable information whenever he chooses. And
      it probably will happen and more than once. It probably will mean the
      end of the Otter era.

      Otter is a great aid for collectors but the program is flawed in many
      ways (Defender as well as the Fragger version). I wouldn't call
      it 'the ultimate tool', as the author does.

      Let's cool down and focus our energy on the development of a better
      tool than Otter, instead of pointless and counterproductive
      bickering. Bickering only raises our bloodpressure and disrupts the
      nice atmosphere of collecting OTR.