Re: Mr. President

  • Andrew Steinberg
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2005
      In the absence of compelling proof otherwise, the date of the 48-11-
      14 Woodrow Wilson should not be changed to 48-08-xx as suggested by
      the post.

      The 48-11-14 date for Woodrow Wilson should be kept because:

      1) The ad at the end of the show for the movie "Three Musketeers" was
      also broadcast at the end of the Mr. President shows from 48-11-21,
      48-11-28, 48-12-05, 48-12-19. This would be 5 consecutive weeks of
      show advertising the same movie. Why would the movie be advertised
      once in August, and then four times in November and December?

      2) The commercial for the premiere radio show 'Carnegie Hall' does
      not indicate what month the premiere is in. It is only speculation to
      say that the radio show had to have premiered in August or January
      because that is when TV shows traditionally premiere shows.

      3) The reliance on IMDB website is also misleading. It is wrong to
      assume that IMDB movie listings are by month of the film's release.
      The site lists releases by year, and within each year there is no
      indication that the order is anything but random.
    • Douglass Keeslar
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2005
        Hi,
            First, I worked with what I had. To borrow a memorable line from Star Trek, "time paradoxes make my head spin."
            Item one. agreed.  I think I was pushed to this conclusion by a need to keep the ads clumped by release date for another disputed item. As I say, I am reeling.
            Item two. agreed.
            Item three. Without buying a membership at IMDB to access more specific release dates (financial embarrassment) I took their stated year of release and used it only to raise contentions ( an episode date as received should not be in a year too far from a release year. To try to get at what would be too far, I took the filmographies of 6 or 7 of the stars in each film and compared the placement of the movie within their work for that year. Admittedly this is speculative. I figured that if a film was first of say 4 films for a year for an actor and the bulk of the actors that had a reasonably long time commitment to a movie listed the movie early, then I could figure an early release for the flick. The same would be true of consistently late listings. If some actors listed a movie 1 of 3 and some 3 of 3, it would be a good bet that the movie would be in the middle of year. I went down as far as actors with low time commitment and added their bulked placement to my admittedly subjective conclusion. I figured that if time came that I found someone that actually cared, I could come up with a more definitive method of date placement and confirmation.
            Since your last missive, a fellow named Kurt Yount put me on to :

            Now THERE is evidence.
            I wonder if these are the same items that Jim Beshires has. I imagine that they are, but one may hope.

        Seriously and with no equivocation, thanks for the input. Occam's razor may save the day.

        Doug.