A thought regarding corrections to Otter Logs

  • Menachem Shapiro
    Message 1 of 5 , May 3, 2005
      B"H

      I was just thinking about the way we report errors and corrections in
      Otter logs.

      The way we do it now, it is possible that Jim may miss an e-mail here
      or there, which can upset people etc.

      Also, especially when there is a discussion back and forth between
      some people regarding possible corrections to the otter logs, it is
      sometimes difficult to know what the final decision is.

      I propose that when sending in e-mails that contain corrections to
      otter logs, we make it clear in the subject that it is a correction.
      If there is a discussion with a couple e-mails back and forth on the
      subject, a summary e-mail should be written, summarizing what changes
      should be made to the otter log.

      An example of something in the subject indicating that the e-mail
      contains corrections to an otter log would be as follows:
      ***PROPOSED CHANGE TO OTTER LOG*** - corrections to The Adventures of
      the Falcon.

      That would make it much easier for people to see what corrections are
      being proposed.

      Just a thought - any comments?
      Menachem

      --
      Are you interested in using Linux?
      Download Libranet 2.8.1 for free and try it out.
      Message 2 of 5 , May 3, 2005
        Here's my idea. I think we should create a new section in the Otter BB
        forums on the website devoted entirely to correcting episodes and
        adding new ones.We should create a thread for each series and perhaps
        (if there is enough webspace) every episode in the otter log, and use
        this section to discuss updates and new episodes.

        A moderator (Jim perhaps?) could overview the discussions and decide
        whether or not to add the information into the the .db file.

        Just my 2 cents.
        --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, Menachem Shapiro

        Message 3 of 5 , May 4, 2005
          B"H
          On 5/3/05, Dan <revgen@...> wrote:
          > Here's my idea. I think we should create a new section in the Otter BB
          > forums on the website devoted entirely to correcting episodes and
          > adding new ones.We should create a thread for each series and perhaps
          > (if there is enough webspace) every episode in the otter log, and use
          > this section to discuss updates and new episodes.
          >
          > A moderator (Jim perhaps?) could overview the discussions and decide
          > whether or not to add the information into the the .db file.
          >
          > Just my 2 cents.

          I see a couple dificulties with this approach:

          1) It requires people to go out of their way to see if there are any
          corrections for various otter logs. At the end of the day, it is
          easier to have the e-mail come to me than to have to go to the forum
          in order to see if there are any new posts (while I could chose to
          monitor threads for new posts, that only works for existing posts. I
          would have to know about the thread in order to monitor it.).

          2) It still requires a moderator to sift through the threads in order
          to figure out which changes have been proposed.

          Any thoughts,
          Menachem

          Message 4 of 5 , May 4, 2005
            Your probably right. I didn't think about that.

            Your previous idea might be a good idea.

            Maybe it can be discussed tommorow at the meeting.

          • sirghoul@optonline.net
            Message 5 of 5 , May 4, 2005
              Perhaps anyone making a suggestion regarding an OTTER file change
              could CC the post to you????

              John.