Fw: Yahoo is at it again- read this and act to maintain privacy

  • Dan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2005
      Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
      Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
      are going similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording
      every website and every group you visit. Take a look at their
      updated privacy
      statement:
      {GO HERE FIRST}
      _http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy_ (http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy)

      About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies [CENTER OF
      PAGE],
      you will see a link that says web beacons [ON LEFT SIDE PANEL].
      Click on
      the phrase web beacons.

      That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo
      Network."

      In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out"
      link that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.

      Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted. Notice the
      "Success" message on the top of the next page. BE CAREFUL because
      on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked,
      will *undo*! * the opt-out.
      Feel free to forward this to other groups
    • Ben Kibler
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2005
        clicking the link did not get me there.

        Ben K

        http://mail.yahoo.com

      • sirghoul@optonline.net
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2005
          I have 2 programs I use to help get around 'Spyware such as that. When
          properly set-up, they will erase any tracking markers from your
          machine.

          One is called Ad-Aware from Lavasoft.com

          The other is Windows-Washer, a trial version of which is easily found
          on most shareware sites.

          John

          On Sun, 01 May 2005 21:05:29 +0000, you wrote:

          >Yahoo is now using something called "Web Beacons" to track Yahoo
          >Group users around the net and see what you're doing and where you
          >are going similar to cookies. Yahoo is recording
          >every website and every group you visit. Take a look at their
          >updated privacy
          >statement:
          >{GO HERE FIRST}
          >_http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy_ (http://privacy.yahoo.com/privacy)
          >
          >About half-way down the page, in the section on cookies [CENTER OF
          >PAGE],
          >you will see a link that says web beacons [ON LEFT SIDE PANEL].
          >Click on
          >the phrase web beacons.
          >
          >That will bring you to a paragraph entitled "Outside the Yahoo
          >Network."
          >
          >In this section you'll see a little "click here to opt out"
          >link that will let you "opt-out" of their new method of snooping.
          >
          >Once you have clicked that link, you are exempted. Notice the
          >"Success" message on the top of the next page. BE CAREFUL because
          >on that page there is a "Cancel Opt-out" button that, if clicked,
          >will *undo*! * the opt-out.
          >Feel free to forward this to other groups
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Linda Parker

            Message 5 of 5 , May 1, 2005
              Linda, I had no problem opting out. Just go to Yahoo
              Privacy page, to cookies, then web beacons, and opt
              out.

              http://mail.yahoo.com