Realy need help

  • toebig
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 28, 2004
      I've been playing around with Otter and trying to figure out if there
      is an easy way to convert my excel files into otter. All my records
      are now in excel. I don't want to have to type them all in again or
      even have to go into otter and check each individule series with the
      shows.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Tom (toebig)
    • Richard Hoyt
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 28, 2004

        Have you tried to save the excel doc as a text file and then importing them in to you Otter?

        Rick Hoyt

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 29, 2004
          "toebig" <toebig@y...> wrote:
          > I've been playing around with Otter and trying to
          > figure out if there is an easy way to convert
          > my excel files into otter. All my records
          > are now in excel. I don't want to have to type
          > them all in again or even have to go into
          > otter and check each individule series with the
          > shows.

          It will probably not be a very straight forward process, especially
          if you have not done file conversion before. Excel is a spreadsheet
          and Otter is a database program. They store data, especially dates,
          differently.

          First and MOST IMPORTANT, SAVE A COPY of your Excel spreadsheet and
          work with the copy and not the original!

          You will need to export (Save As) your Excel spreadsheet into a text
          file format that Otter will accept. This may require additional
          editing of the text file in a text processor such as NotePad or
          WordPad before importing the file into Otter.

          Before you start with the export, I recommend reading the Excel Help
          on "File format converters supplied with Microsoft Excel" and "How
          Microsoft Excel stores dates and times."

          Next read the pertinent sections of THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO OTTER.
          The format that Otter accepts is partially explained in section 15.0
          CREATING A NEW SERIES LOG AS A TEXT FILE of the THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE
          TO OTTER. Only certain fields are mentioned.

          The fields in your Excel spreadsheet will have to be formatted
          exactly as Otter requires. If they aren't, you will have reformat
          your spreadsheet to comply with Otter's requirements. This may
          require reordering your spreadsheet fields (columns). You will
          probably have problems with the formatting of the date field because
          Otter uses a date different format YY/MM/DD than Excel MM/DD/YY or
          MM/DD/YYYY. This may require additional editing of the text file in
          a text processor such as NotePad or WordPad before importing the file
          into Otter.

          If you have additional fields in your Excel spreadsheet, you may want
          to export a log from Otter to see how it is formatted. Take a look
          at 19.0 HOW TO EXPORT A TEXT FILE FROM OTTER in THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE
          TO OTTER.

          Stewart
        • B A
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 29, 2004
            I am no expert but you should be able to export to a
            txt file and indicate what columns you want. You
            should be able to create a txt log file this way.

            Trying to help,
            Brian A.

            --- toebig <toebig@...> wrote:
            > I've been playing around with Otter and trying to
            > figure out if there
            > is an easy way to convert my excel files into otter.
            > All my records
            > are now in excel. I don't want to have to type them
            > all in again or
            > even have to go into otter and check each individule
            > series with the
            > shows.
            >
            > Any help would be appreciated.
            >
            > Tom (toebig)

            http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools
          • toebig
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 1 11:54 AM
              Thanks everyone, I'll play around and hopefully I'll be able to
              convert without too mich trouble.

              Tom (toebig)

              --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "otrwash" <stewwright@w...>

            • Archie
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1 7:34 PM
                --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "otrwash" <stewwright@w...>
                wrote:

                Very good advice Stewart. May I add some additional thoughts.

                > Next read the pertinent sections of THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO
                OTTER.
                > The format that Otter accepts is partially explained in section
                15.0
                > CREATING A NEW SERIES LOG AS A TEXT FILE of the THE UNOFFICIAL
                GUIDE
                > TO OTTER. Only certain fields are mentioned.

                The log in Otter only contains the following fields:

                exists indicated by the '*'
                date in the yy/mm/dd format
                episode number
                Episode title.

                The Otter database contains additional information that is not part
                of the log file per se (such as genre) and other file related info
                (sound quality etc) that are input by the user

                > The fields in your Excel spreadsheet will have to be formatted
                > exactly as Otter requires. If they aren't, you will have reformat
                > your spreadsheet to comply with Otter's requirements. This may
                > require reordering your spreadsheet fields (columns). You will
                > probably have problems with the formatting of the date field
                because
                > Otter uses a date different format YY/MM/DD than Excel MM/DD/YY or
                > MM/DD/YYYY. This may require additional editing of the text file
                in
                > a text processor such as NotePad or WordPad before importing the
                file
                > into Otter.

                You should be able to create a custom Excel format that will
                reformat your dates into the appropriate Otter style.

                > If you have additional fields in your Excel spreadsheet, you may
                want
                > to export a log from Otter to see how it is formatted. Take a
                look
                > at 19.0 HOW TO EXPORT A TEXT FILE FROM OTTER in THE UNOFFICIAL
                GUIDE
                > TO OTTER.
                >

                > Stewart

                A question for toebig. What information is in your Excel that you
                want to import into Otter? Could you give me some examples?

                An import function for other types of logs (rather than the standard
                Otter txt file) might be possible in a future version. I would like
                to provide the author of otter with some examples of what our
                requirements might be in this regard.

                Archie
              • any_ol_1
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1 11:03 PM
                  > A question for toebig. What information is in your Excel that you
                  > want to import into Otter? Could you give me some examples?

                  He did this about a month ago... look for "My encode list.xls" in
                  the files section of OldTimeRadioCompleteSeries. As far as i know,
                  we got his samples to show up as "have"s for what was in otter. He
                  seemed to have a lot of stuff not in otter.
                  Also look for toebig's other zip files to see the type of lists he
                  can generate. Another list is in the "Files for Revision
                  folder" "Unprocessed Lists" "Sycamore Collection 001.txt" in this
                  groups files section from uncle_sycamore.

                  > An import function for other types of logs (rather than the
                  standard
                  > Otter txt file) might be possible in a future version. I would
                  like
                  > to provide the author of otter with some examples of what our
                  > requirements might be in this regard.
                  >
                  > Archie

                  popular requests have been data from other operating systems than
                  windows, lists from directory listings (all types, all operating
                  systems but dos "dir" and xp are popular), lists from access and SQL,
                  lists from listmaker and WhereIsIt. Lately Jim has requestion
                  streamload dir format and (unknown) mail client format lists. I've
                  been helping people convert/compare their data to otter data and
                  back for a few years. The programs are PERL.
                  The "requirement" that seems to go beyond the scope of otter is to
                  be able to dump more names into it without seperating into series.
                  People would like to take existing lists of their collections,or
                  their mail folders or their flat files, (not only mp3s) and see how
                  complete they are or whats available, and what could be duplicates,
                  in one fell swoop. Some ways we've gotten around some problems (and
                  adding more) is allow levels of matching on the title and a "memory
                  function" of files encountered before. This also slightly goes
                  against otter in that no renaming is done, of if things are renamed,
                  the original is also stored. Which leads to the concept of a table
                  for original name and standardized otter name. It all sort of works.

                  Other "requirments" :-)
                  Comments in log files. (perhaps) version history in file names or
                  somewhere. Perhaps file md5ing or chscksumming field