Download Otter

  • CalifCoast
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
      I am following the "Unofficial Guide to Otter" to download and setup
      Otter for use. In the book it says that if this is the first time,
      you must download "the Centipede" version, then update it with
      the 'Defender", then update with the logs. When I go to the
      page, "http://otterbarn.tripod.com" and try to download the latest
      beta version, it won't let me download from Lycos.

      If I unzip my download of the "Defender" version is this enough to get
      me started and then import the logs on a daily bases so I can do my
      job of web comparisions?

      Appreciate any help as i want to start monitoring my assigned website
      as quickly as possible.

      Thanks,

      Jim Scott
      Lompoc, California
    • Mike St John
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
        I followed the same route and have yet to get otter operational. Likewise I have been unable to find a copy of this "centipede" version that is mentioned in the manual. I really wanted to get up and running in the program but......
         Bloodhound

        CalifCoast <califcoast@...> wrote:

        I am following the "Unofficial Guide to Otter" to download and setup
        Otter for use.  In the book it says that if this is the first time,
        you must download "the Centipede" version, then update it with
        the 'Defender", then update with the logs.  When I go to the
        page, "http://otterbarn.tripod.com" and try to download the latest
        beta version, it won't let me download from Lycos.

        If I unzip my download of the "Defender" version is this enough to get
        me started and then import the logs on a daily bases so I can do my
        job of web comparisions?

        Appreciate any help as i want to start monitoring my assigned website
        as quickly as possible.

        Thanks,

        Jim Scott
        Lompoc, California

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Menachem Shapiro
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
          B"H

          You should be able to download Otter from here:
          http://www.otterprojectonline.info/Otter_index.htm

          It has everything you need to get started. Download 932 Def otter.zip,
          unzip it to a directory and then download the latest version of the
          otter database. copy the database file (otter.db) over to the
          directory you unzipped the Otter Program into (overwriting the
          previous version there). You should be good to go.

          Menachem

          --
          Are you interested in using Linux?
          Download Libranet 2.8.1 for free and try it out.
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2005
            --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "CalifCoast" <califcoast@y...>
            wrote:

            > I am following the "Unofficial Guide to Otter" to download and
            setup
            > Otter for use. In the book it says that if this is the first
            time,
            > you must download "the Centipede" version, then update it with
            > the 'Defender", then update with the logs. When I go to the
            > page, "http://otterbarn.tripod.com" and try to download the latest
            > beta version, it won't let me download from Lycos.
            >
            > If I unzip my download of the "Defender" version is this enough to
            get
            > me started and then import the logs on a daily bases so I can do
            my
            > job of web comparisions?
            >
            > Appreciate any help as i want to start monitoring my assigned
            website
            > as quickly as possible.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Jim Scott
            > Lompoc, California

            As a test, on my WinXP, SP2 system, I downloaded the Defender zip
            from http://64.119.173.247/~otterpro/Otter_index.htm
            and extracted it to a directory. I downloaded the latest database to
            the same directory and overwrote the database that came with 932 Def
            otter.zip. Otter worked without a problem.

            dal3856
          • Archie
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2005
              wrote:

              > I am following the "Unofficial Guide to Otter" to download and
              setup
              > Otter for use. In the book it says that if this is the first
              time,
              > you must download "the Centipede" version, then update it with
              > the 'Defender", then update with the logs. When I go to the
              > page, "http://otterbarn.tripod.com" and try to download the latest
              > beta version, it won't let me download from Lycos.
              >
              > If I unzip my download of the "Defender" version is this enough to
              get
              > me started and then import the logs on a daily bases so I can do
              my
              > job of web comparisions?
              >
              > Appreciate any help as i want to start monitoring my assigned
              website
              > as quickly as possible.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Jim Scott
              > Lompoc, California

              When the Guide was written, Otter was still available from the
              author's website. The Defender version posted there did not have
              the two dll files that are necessary for some of the operations of
              Otter. That is why the Guide mentioned to install the Centipede
              version (which conatined the dlls) and then upgrade the exe to the
              Defender release.

              We have included the dll files in the 932 Defender zip file that is
              on our website. That zip contains everything needed. The next
              revision of the Guide will clarify the install procedure.

              Archie
            • dal3856
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2005
                --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Archie" <y_know_archie@h...>
                wrote:

                > --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "CalifCoast"
                <califcoast@y...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > I am following the "Unofficial Guide to Otter" to download and
                > setup
                > > Otter for use. In the book it says that if this is the first
                > time,
                > > you must download "the Centipede" version, then update it with
                > > the 'Defender", then update with the logs. When I go to the
                > > page, "http://otterbarn.tripod.com" and try to download the
                latest
                > > beta version, it won't let me download from Lycos.
                > >
                > > If I unzip my download of the "Defender" version is this enough
                > get
                > > me started and then import the logs on a daily bases so I can do
                > my
                > > job of web comparisions?
                > >
                > > Appreciate any help as i want to start monitoring my assigned
                > website
                > > as quickly as possible.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Jim Scott
                > > Lompoc, California
                >
                > When the Guide was written, Otter was still available from the
                > author's website. The Defender version posted there did not have
                > the two dll files that are necessary for some of the operations of
                > Otter. That is why the Guide mentioned to install the Centipede
                > version (which conatined the dlls) and then upgrade the exe to the
                > Defender release.
                >
                > We have included the dll files in the 932 Defender zip file that
                is
                > on our website. That zip contains everything needed. The next
                > revision of the Guide will clarify the install procedure.
                >
                > Archie

                Did the Centipede otter.exe have the operations built-in, whereas
                the Defender version requires the dll's for those operations? I
                don't recall any dll's bundled with Centipede. BTW, I tried the
                Defender version 11/19/2002 on WinXP. View list in notepad doesn't
                work. Works fine on Win98. I tried putting the dll's in the same
                dir, but that didn't solve the problem. The latest Defender, with
                the dll's works fine in XP. Is there a way to get notepad to work
                with the 11/19/2002 on XP?

                dal3856
              • Archie
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 10, 2005
                  --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "dal3856" <d59n@h...> wrote:

                  > --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Archie"
                  <y_know_archie@h...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "CalifCoast"
                  > <califcoast@y...>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I am following the "Unofficial Guide to Otter" to download and
                  > > setup
                  > > > Otter for use. In the book it says that if this is the first
                  > > time,
                  > > > you must download "the Centipede" version, then update it with
                  > > > the 'Defender", then update with the logs. When I go to the
                  > > > page, "http://otterbarn.tripod.com" and try to download the
                  > latest
                  > > > beta version, it won't let me download from Lycos.
                  > > >
                  > > > If I unzip my download of the "Defender" version is this
                  enough
                  > > get
                  > > > me started and then import the logs on a daily bases so I can
                  do
                  > > my
                  > > > job of web comparisions?
                  > > >
                  > > > Appreciate any help as i want to start monitoring my assigned
                  > > website
                  > > > as quickly as possible.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks,
                  > > >
                  > > > Jim Scott
                  > > > Lompoc, California
                  > >
                  > > When the Guide was written, Otter was still available from the
                  > > author's website. The Defender version posted there did not
                  have
                  > > the two dll files that are necessary for some of the operations
                  of
                  > > Otter. That is why the Guide mentioned to install the Centipede
                  > > version (which conatined the dlls) and then upgrade the exe to
                  the
                  > > Defender release.
                  > >
                  > > We have included the dll files in the 932 Defender zip file that
                  > is
                  > > on our website. That zip contains everything needed. The next
                  > > revision of the Guide will clarify the install procedure.
                  > >
                  > > Archie
                  >
                  > Did the Centipede otter.exe have the operations built-in, whereas
                  > the Defender version requires the dll's for those operations? I
                  > don't recall any dll's bundled with Centipede. BTW, I tried the
                  > Defender version 11/19/2002 on WinXP. View list in notepad doesn't
                  > work. Works fine on Win98. I tried putting the dll's in the same
                  > dir, but that didn't solve the problem. The latest Defender, with
                  > the dll's works fine in XP. Is there a way to get notepad to work
                  > with the 11/19/2002 on XP?
                  >
                  > dal3856

                  Here is the release note for the 11/07/2003 version of Defender
                  (which is the one at the website)

                  What's new:

                  - You can display lists in a web browser for formatted
                  printing or publishing
                  - On Windows 9x systems Otter will not start if system
                  resources are low, hopefully preventing horrible system
                  crashes. This has not been tested on 95 or ME - if there
                  are problems delete the .dll files and please report it
                  to me
                  - Launching Notepad and other programs should now work
                  on all versions of Windows

                  I assume that there was a bug with the 2002 version which didn't
                  work under all flavours of Windows.

                  As for the Centipede version - Otter was undergoing testing and
                  updates. As the author made changes to the exe, he only released
                  the updated exe - intending for folks to put it into the same folder
                  that contain a previous full version. I understand that those two
                  dll are necessary for the notepad and browser functions to work.

                  Archie