OTR Shows From the Library Of Congress (LOC)

  • otrwash
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2005
      A few years ago I helped someone who had created, written, and
      produced an NBC radio series search for and locate some episodes of
      the series. Only a couple of episodes were in circulation within the
      OTR community.

      I found the bulk of the shows were in the NBC Collection of the
      Library of Congress.

      The cost of duplication was nearly $2000 for about 20 hours of
      shows. Even though he was able to get the necessary written
      permissions from NBC to have copies made, the duplication costs were
      simply too much.

      If you go to the following URL you will see a Frequently Asked
      Question (FAQ) on the LOC procedures we had to go through. The
      pricing information is several years out of date, but the hoops you
      must jump through are the same. Here is the pertinent FAQ and the
      link to the procedures.

      34. I keep reading/hearing about the LOC hoarding a bunch of
      unreleased OTR episodes. Is this true? How can I get them?

      http://www.old-time.com/otrfaq.html#Answer34

      The upshot is don't hold your breath on the shows from the Library of
      Congress or from the collections of any other research library making
      it into circulation within the OTR community. Normally, libraries
      are not the copyright holder of their collections. You must go
      through procedures that are very similar to those in the Library Of
      Congress FAQ.

      If you can get the written permissions to have copies of shows made
      (which is often impossible) and can afford the costs, you must sign a
      very restrictive, legally-bidding contract. Generally, the contract
      forbids you from making any additional copies of the shows other than
      a backup. You cannot make copies for trading or commercial
      purposes.

      I have acquired a few shows for OTR research projects from the
      special collection holdings of a couple of libraries. The procedures
      were very similar to those of the Library of Congress. Because of the
      contracts I have had to sign, those shows will not make it into
      circulation within the OTR community.

      Signing off for now,

      Stewart
    • Uberfrau
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 14, 2005
        Re: [Otter-Project] OTR Shows From the Library Of Congress (LOC)
        Stewart,

        Thanks for the link.  There’s a lot of great information (I haven’t read all of it yet, but I intend to) on that webpage.  I don’t remember seeing this information in the files section for this group.  Many of these topics (especially the LOC question) will come up in the future.

        Lisa

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129em0ick/M=298184.6018725.7038619.3001176/D=groups/S=1705851308:HM/EXP=1110912870/A=2593423/R=0/SIG=11el9gslf/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60190075>

        Yahoo! Groups Links