Re: [Otter-Project] Re: Good News Of

  • Irene Heinstein
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
      I think the correct date is 38-09-08.  Norma Shearer is saluted as is her film 'Marie Antoinette' which premiered July 8, 1938.
      -Irene
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
        Hi- I happen to also have this Good News show,
        likewise dated 11/17/1939. From reading Charlie's
        email and listening to the show, I found that Judy
        Garland was also starring. There is an excellent Judy
        Garland fan website with a very extensive listing of
        Judy's radio career- www.jgdb.com (Judy Garland
        Database). According to that website, the date of
        this show is actually 9/8/1938. The site also lists
        the songs and skits from the broadcast- it all matches
        up. Hope that helps!

        Beth

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/bBwbuA/eV0JAA/Zx0JAA/smTrlB/TM

        > protection around
        > http://mail.yahoo.com

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • C. Henson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
          Good work, Beth. It looks like Radiogold picked this
          file up and just copied the original file date. Cross
          checking with Judy's website was good thinking on your
          part. Good News to me was a very good series with
          many of the best known actors of the time.
          Judy Garland is one of my all-time favorites.

          Charlie

          --- aneshane <aneshane@...> wrote:

          > Hi- I happen to also have this Good News show,
          > likewise dated 11/17/1939. From reading Charlie's
          > email and listening to the show, I found that Judy
          > Garland was also starring. There is an excellent
          > Judy
          > Garland fan website with a very extensive listing of
          > Judy's radio career- www.jgdb.com (Judy Garland
          > Database). According to that website, the date of
          > this show is actually 9/8/1938. The site also lists
          > the songs and skits from the broadcast- it all
          > matches
          > up. Hope that helps!
          >
          > Beth
          >

          > --- "C. Henson" <ce131313@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Jim, I did a Google Search for Good News/Norma
          > > Shearer,and it led me to RadioLovers.Com, and a
          > free
          > > show that one could listen to, 39-11-17. Good News
          > > of
          > > 1939.The shows were from "Baby Snooks"-but were
          > > known
          > > as Good News until 10-10-40)(Dickerson). You can
          > > listen to the show in Radiolovers.Com under Norma
          > > Shearer. Co-Star was Judy Garland. These shows
          > > were
          > > apparently rather mixed up, since actually
          > recorded
          > > before the announced date. Is this what you
          > found?
          > > Could Radio Lovers have this wrong, too?
          > > Charlie
          > > --- Jim Beshires <beshiresjim@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Researchers!
          > > >
          > > > I have an episode of Good News Of - dated
          > 39-11-17
          > > > with guest star
          > > > Norma Shearer. However this can't be the
          > correct
          > > > date of this show
          > > > as shows during that time period were being
          > > > announced as 'Good News
          > > > Of 1940' and this one starts off 'Good News of
          > > > 1939'.
          > > >
          > > > I think it has to fall between 38-09-01 and
          > > > 39-07-27.
          > > >
          > > > Any suggestions?
          > > >
          > > > Jim B

          > > > --------------------~-->
          > > > Unbelievable Blog of the Week recommends: The
          > > > Lincoln Fry Blog.
          > > > Read all about the French fry that looks like
          > > > Abraham Lincoln.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/bBwbuA/eV0JAA/Zx0JAA/smTrlB/TM

          > > protection around
          > > http://mail.yahoo.com

          > Yahoo! Mail - Easier than ever with enhanced search.
          > Learn more.
          > http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250

          > --------------------~-->
          > Unbelievable Blog of the Week recommends: The
          > Lincoln Fry Blog.
          > Read all about the French fry that looks like
          > Abraham Lincoln.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/bBwbuA/eV0JAA/Zx0JAA/smTrlB/TM

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • aneshane
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
            I agree, Charlie. Good News was a fantastic show and
            Judy Garland... There just aren't words for a talent
            like that! Thanks, Charlie!

          • Andrew Steinberg
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 8, 2005
              Further evidence: If you listen to the end of 380901 - Guest Father
              Edward J Flanagan, they do announce that the next week's guests will
              be Norma Shearer and Judy Garland.