Re: Good News Of

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
      Researchers!

      I have an episode of Good News Of - dated 39-11-17 with guest star
      Norma Shearer. However this can't be the correct date of this show
      as shows during that time period were being announced as 'Good News
      Of 1940' and this one starts off 'Good News of 1939'.

      I think it has to fall between 38-09-01 and 39-07-27.

      Any suggestions?

      Jim B
    • C. Henson
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
        Jim, I did a Google Search for Good News/Norma
        Shearer,and it led me to RadioLovers.Com, and a free
        show that one could listen to, 39-11-17. Good News of
        1939.The shows were from "Baby Snooks"-but were known
        as Good News until 10-10-40)(Dickerson). You can
        listen to the show in Radiolovers.Com under Norma
        Shearer. Co-Star was Judy Garland. These shows were
        apparently rather mixed up, since actually recorded
        before the announced date. Is this what you found?
        Could Radio Lovers have this wrong, too?
        Charlie
        --- Jim Beshires <beshiresjim@...> wrote:

        > Researchers!
        >
        > I have an episode of Good News Of - dated 39-11-17
        > with guest star
        > Norma Shearer. However this can't be the correct
        > date of this show
        > as shows during that time period were being
        > announced as 'Good News
        > Of 1940' and this one starts off 'Good News of
        > 1939'.
        >
        > I think it has to fall between 38-09-01 and
        > 39-07-27.
        >
        > Any suggestions?
        >
        > Jim B

        > --------------------~-->
        > Unbelievable Blog of the Week recommends: The
        > Lincoln Fry Blog.
        > Read all about the French fry that looks like
        > Abraham Lincoln.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/bBwbuA/eV0JAA/Zx0JAA/smTrlB/TM

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Irene Heinstein
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
          I think the correct date is 38-09-08.  Norma Shearer is saluted as is her film 'Marie Antoinette' which premiered July 8, 1938.
          -Irene

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
            Hi- I happen to also have this Good News show,
            likewise dated 11/17/1939. From reading Charlie's
            email and listening to the show, I found that Judy
            Garland was also starring. There is an excellent Judy
            Garland fan website with a very extensive listing of
            Judy's radio career- www.jgdb.com (Judy Garland
            Database). According to that website, the date of
            this show is actually 9/8/1938. The site also lists
            the songs and skits from the broadcast- it all matches
            up. Hope that helps!

            Beth

            --- "C. Henson" <ce131313@...> wrote:

            > Jim, I did a Google Search for Good News/Norma
            > Shearer,and it led me to RadioLovers.Com, and a free
            > show that one could listen to, 39-11-17. Good News
            > of
            > 1939.The shows were from "Baby Snooks"-but were
            > known
            > as Good News until 10-10-40)(Dickerson). You can
            > listen to the show in Radiolovers.Com under Norma
            > Shearer. Co-Star was Judy Garland. These shows
            > were
            > apparently rather mixed up, since actually recorded
            > before the announced date. Is this what you found?
            > Could Radio Lovers have this wrong, too?
            > Charlie
            > --- Jim Beshires <beshiresjim@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Researchers!
            > >
            > > I have an episode of Good News Of - dated 39-11-17
            > > with guest star
            > > Norma Shearer. However this can't be the correct
            > > date of this show
            > > as shows during that time period were being
            > > announced as 'Good News
            > > Of 1940' and this one starts off 'Good News of
            > > 1939'.
            > >
            > > I think it has to fall between 38-09-01 and
            > > 39-07-27.
            > >
            > > Any suggestions?
            > >
            > > Jim B

            > > --------------------~-->
            > > Unbelievable Blog of the Week recommends: The
            > > Lincoln Fry Blog.
            > > Read all about the French fry that looks like
            > > Abraham Lincoln.

            http://us.click.yahoo.com/bBwbuA/eV0JAA/Zx0JAA/smTrlB/TM

            > protection around
            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
          • C. Henson
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
              Good work, Beth. It looks like Radiogold picked this
              file up and just copied the original file date. Cross
              checking with Judy's website was good thinking on your
              part. Good News to me was a very good series with
              many of the best known actors of the time.
              Judy Garland is one of my all-time favorites.

              Charlie

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 5, 2005
                I agree, Charlie. Good News was a fantastic show and
                Judy Garland... There just aren't words for a talent
                like that! Thanks, Charlie!

              • Andrew Steinberg
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 8, 2005
                  Further evidence: If you listen to the end of 380901 - Guest Father
                  Edward J Flanagan, they do announce that the next week's guests will
                  be Norma Shearer and Judy Garland.