Re: New Member Package

  • Rob McConeghy
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
      What you say is of course true. But it is still a fact that

      1) a very large percentage of computer users are still only connected
      via dial-up (not necessarily their choice - broadband of any kind is
      simply not available in many areas still)

      2) only about 1 in 10 computer users have even heard of FTP, never
      mind having a clue how to use it.
      These same people are unaware of newsgroups, hubs, streamload, mp3s,
      etc.

      Most computer users, and not just older ones, still use their PCs
      primarily for email, and to play games and run commercial store-bought
      software.

      Of the 25-odd people who work in the local branch of my company, only
      15 actually have PCs at home, none other than myself are aware of
      Yahoo groups, they have never heard of USENET, FTP, hubs, streamload.
      Many are AOL users. Some are aware of google and do occasionally surf
      the web.

      Many of these types of people are exactly the types who might become
      OTR newbies. They are most likely to first run across a web site of
      someone selling CDs, tapes, or MP3 CDs of OTR or maybe hosting online
      streaming audio of OTR. (and streaming audio works poorly on dial-up).
      So it is very attractive to such people that they can purchase OTR on
      line and have it show up in their mailbox. They don't need to figure
      out how to do anything to get it.

      This is one reason our web site is very important. Offering a set of
      CDs with useful information and sample shows by mail could be very
      attractive to these folks.

      (Of course there is still a large percentage of the population who do
      not know what an mp3 file is or what to do with it - even technically
      savvy people fall in this group.
      Busy working peoiple with a life and with kids do not have time to
      find out everything about every new fad - no matter how much it is in
      the news.)

      There is naturally nothing wrong with also making the material
      available for direct download.

      --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, Mark Farmer <kingsparta2003@y...
      > wrote:
      > I really don't want to rain on anyones parade but I just don't see
      the Disk\CD going anyplace.

      > Part of it is Expense
      >
      > Part is time and time is money
      >
      > an FTP connection takes\costs next to nothing, if it is going to be
      online anyway

      > it is easily updated
      >
      > Dwight Simmons <dwight_h_simmons@y...> wrote:
      > Why not make it avaliable to new members in both
      > download and mail format? Those that chose to download
      > get it without the wait of mail and don't have to send
      > blank cd's. That way the choice is the new members.
      >
      > DWight
    • Robert Dickson
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
        Well said Shawn.  i couldn't agree more.