Re: New Member Package

  • Dwight Simmons
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
      Why not make it avaliable to new members in both
      download and mail format? Those that chose to download
      get it without the wait of mail and don't have to send
      blank cd's. That way the choice is the new members.

      DWight

      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
    • Mark Farmer
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
        I really don't want to rain on anyones parade but I just don't see the Disk\CD going anyplace.

        Part of it is Expense

        Part is time and time is money

        an FTP connection takes\costs next to nothing, if it is going to be online anyway

        it is easily updated

        Dwight Simmons <dwight_h_simmons@...> wrote:
        Why not make it avaliable to new members in both
        download and mail format? Those that chose to download
        get it without the wait of mail and don't have to send
        blank cd's. That way the choice is the new members.

        DWight

      • Rob McConeghy
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
          What you say is of course true. But it is still a fact that

          1) a very large percentage of computer users are still only connected
          via dial-up (not necessarily their choice - broadband of any kind is
          simply not available in many areas still)

          2) only about 1 in 10 computer users have even heard of FTP, never
          mind having a clue how to use it.
          These same people are unaware of newsgroups, hubs, streamload, mp3s,
          etc.

          Most computer users, and not just older ones, still use their PCs
          primarily for email, and to play games and run commercial store-bought
          software.

          Of the 25-odd people who work in the local branch of my company, only
          15 actually have PCs at home, none other than myself are aware of
          Yahoo groups, they have never heard of USENET, FTP, hubs, streamload.
          Many are AOL users. Some are aware of google and do occasionally surf
          the web.

          Many of these types of people are exactly the types who might become
          OTR newbies. They are most likely to first run across a web site of
          someone selling CDs, tapes, or MP3 CDs of OTR or maybe hosting online
          streaming audio of OTR. (and streaming audio works poorly on dial-up).
          So it is very attractive to such people that they can purchase OTR on
          line and have it show up in their mailbox. They don't need to figure
          out how to do anything to get it.

          This is one reason our web site is very important. Offering a set of
          CDs with useful information and sample shows by mail could be very
          attractive to these folks.

          (Of course there is still a large percentage of the population who do
          not know what an mp3 file is or what to do with it - even technically
          savvy people fall in this group.
          Busy working peoiple with a life and with kids do not have time to
          find out everything about every new fad - no matter how much it is in
          the news.)

          There is naturally nothing wrong with also making the material
          available for direct download.

          --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, Mark Farmer <kingsparta2003@y...
          > wrote:
          > I really don't want to rain on anyones parade but I just don't see
          the Disk\CD going anyplace.

          > Part of it is Expense
          >
          > Part is time and time is money
          >
          > an FTP connection takes\costs next to nothing, if it is going to be
          online anyway

          > it is easily updated
          >
          > Dwight Simmons <dwight_h_simmons@y...> wrote:
          > Why not make it avaliable to new members in both
          > download and mail format? Those that chose to download
          > get it without the wait of mail and don't have to send
          > blank cd's. That way the choice is the new members.
          >
          > DWight
        • Robert Dickson
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2004
            Well said Shawn.  i couldn't agree more.