New poll for Otter-Project

  • Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 31, 2004
      Otter-Project group:

      Are you interested in taking part in
      an on-line class on how to use Otter
      to its fullest?

      o Yes, I want to catch an Otter
      o No, He's a nasty creature
      o No, I am a whiz already

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 20, 2004
        Otter-Project group:

        Would you like to have an on-line
        class on how to utilize Otter to its
        fullest extent. If you vote yes, then
        select a day that would be best for
        you.

        o Yes, Otter is a slippery creature. I need help in catching him
        o No, I can handle Otter
        o Monday Night
        o Tuesday Night
        o Wednesday Night
        o Thursday Night
        o Sunday Afternoon
        o What's an Otter

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!
      • Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 27, 2004
          Otter-Project group:

          I will be attending the Otter Training
          Class at the following time

          o Monday Night - 9PM EST
          o Sunday Afternoon - 5PM EST

          web site listed above.

          Thanks!
        • Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 9 4:13 PM
            Otter-Project group:

            How Do You Think Numbering of Series
            Episodes Should Be Handled?

            o Numbers should start with #1 and run until the end
            o Numbers should start with #1 and repeat with each season
            o I don't think episode numbers should be used

            web site listed above.

            Thanks!
          • menachem_shapiro
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 10 9:23 AM
              B"H

              We almost have enough 2 cent pieces to buy an ipod, but here's mine.

              I think episode numbers are important, but vary in necessity from
              show to show.

              Episode numbers make it much easier to cross-reference shows when
              trying to find out the names. It gives us two ways to identify the
              show and helps us keep it in order when we don't know the exact
              date.

              Shows are easier to keep track of when you have an episode number.

              I think if Otter makes a separate numbering scheme, it will confuse
              collectors even more. I get most of my OTR from newsgroups, and
              unless I have reason otherwise, I assume that the episode number
              used is the accepted episode number. If I have to start figuring out
              if the guy who uploaded it was using 'real' episode numbers or Otter
              episode numbers, It would be much more difficult. Especialy
              considering that Otter can't match shows by title.

              I look at episode numbers as a supplement to the date, so if for
              example, there are 2 episode 1's, I use the date to figure out which
              one is which.

              Menachem
            • Rob McConeghy
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 10 4:24 PM
                --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "menachem_shapiro"
                <menachem_shapiro@y...> wrote:

                > Episode numbers make it much easier to cross-reference shows when
                > trying to find out the names. It gives us two ways to identify the
                > show and helps us keep it in order when we don't know the exact
                > date.

                But if you don't know the exact date how do you know that the episode
                numbers you are using are the correct order ? some people just sort
                the names alphabetically and then assign sequential numbers for the
                files they happened to have, and people who had other filesmay have
                used a different system.

                > Shows are easier to keep track of when you have an episode number.
                >
                > I think if Otter makes a separate numbering scheme, it will confuse
                > collectors even more. I get most of my OTR from newsgroups, and
                > unless I have reason otherwise, I assume that the episode number
                > used is the accepted episode number. If I have to start figuring out
                > if the guy who uploaded it was using 'real' episode numbers or Otter
                > episode numbers, It would be much more difficult. Especialy
                > considering that Otter can't match shows by title.

                It is a HUGE MISTAKE to assume that just because someone has an
                episode number in a filename that it is accepted by anyone at all!

                I download sets of files from the newsgroups all the time that were
                posted by the same person and there are often all sorts of numbering
                and naming schemes used for the files for the same show. Often they
                post copies of exactly the same file with two or more different
                episode number (or different titles) or the episode numbers or names
                in the file tags do not match the numbers in the file names.

                I no longer trust any episode numbering schemes -
                The only place episode numbers should be used is in written
                logs where their source can be explained.

                If you use them in Otter and rely on them to match up files to log
                entries, you can get into a real mess.
              • Allan George
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 10 7:00 PM
                  My two cents worth. Look at episode numbers as the record number in the data
                  base that gives some uniqueness to the given file. It is not needed when you
                  have a "correct date" . However when you have 2 to 50 episodes dated
                  53/xx/xx, I find episode numbers to be handy. I have yet to figure out how
                  53/xx/xx improves on 1953. I personally have dated (coded) my unknown dates
                  in a way so that I can keep track of them. I append the year to the episode
                  name when it's available. It may not be what everyone wants, but it's what I
                  want to do with the unknown dates. I try to get the correct episode name on
                  the files, which I feel is the most important issue, and the correct date
                  whenever possible. As for downloading, be careful, particularly if it is an
                  episode you have been looking for any length of time. For example, per otter
                  I am missing four episodes of the Falcon, I have downloaded them from the
                  hub or a newsgroup at least 6 times each. All the episodes were wrong. All
                  of them were mis-named episodes with the correct name of the show given by
                  the announcer at approximately the one minute mark. So, I still need four.
                  What this group needs to do is concentrate on the real availability,
                  quality, naming, and dating of the programs and not worry so much about a
                  data base technique that can be used for uniqueness.

                  I agree that you should not trust episode numbers as the sole source of
                  identifying episode, but to toss the capability is not the solution. If you
                  download any of my files from the hub that have my coded dates and episode
                  numbers, match them by title to your scheme.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 8, 2004
                    Otter-Project group:

                    I would be interested in attending a
                    voice conference class in how to
                    better use OTTER.

                    o Yes
                    o No
                    o I'm an expert already!

                    web site listed above.

                    Thanks!
                  • Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 17, 2005
                      Otter-Project group:

                      Would you be interested in a OTR
                      Webradio station for members to
                      participate,i.e., listening, program
                      suggestions, and sharing of programs?

                      o Yes
                      o No

                      web site listed above.

                      Thanks!
                    • Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 8, 2005
                        Otter-Project group:

                        I think that old time radio ended in.....

                        o The 50s
                        o The 60s
                        o The 70s
                        o I think all radio programs should be included

                        web site listed above.

                        Thanks!
                      • Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 9, 2005
                          Otter-Project group:

                          There is some interest in the group having a printed
                          materials library. Please cast your vote below. You can
                          vote for several choices.

                          o I think we need a printed materials library
                          o I have some printed materials I can donate.
                          o I could contribute $1 per month to help buy materials
                          o No, I'm not Interested in a Printed Materials LIbrary

                          web site listed above.

                          Thanks!
                        • Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 29, 2005
                            Otter-Project group:

                            We' like to know how many people use Otter for their OTR.
                            Please answer as many of the questions that apply to you.
                            This poll is running in all our groups, so only vote in one
                            poll.

                            o I use Otter
                            o I don't use Otter
                            o I don't think we should be offering these.
                            o What is Otter?
                            o I download the database daily.
                            o I download the database weekly.
                            o I download the database once in a while.

                            web site listed above.

                            Thanks!
                          • Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 4, 2005
                              Otter-Project group:

                              The group is considering a VCD/DVD library. This poll is
                              running in all groups, so please only vote in one.

                              o I would use such a library.
                              o No, I don't think we need one.
                              o The library materials should be available for postage
                              o I would be willing to contribute $1 to rent one or $2 to rent 2, if the proceeds are used to futher the groups goals.

                              web site listed above.

                              Thanks!
                            • Robert Gilroy
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 4, 2005
                                I am not sure what the contents of this library would be -- or what the purpose would be.
                                Please enlighten me.

                                Thank you,

                                BoB

                                Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                                Otter-Project group:

                                The group is considering a VCD/DVD library. This poll is
                                running in all groups, so please only vote in one.

                                o I would use such a library.
                                o No, I don't think we need one.
                                o The library materials should be available for postage
                                o I would be willing to contribute $1 to rent one or $2 to rent 2, if the proceeds are used to futher the groups goals.

                                web site listed above.

                                Thanks!

                                Over 1 billion served! The most music videos on the web.
                                Click to Watch now!
                                http://us.click.yahoo.com/xmKGzA/IARHAA/kkyPAA/smTrlB/TM

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                Yahoo! for Good

                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 4, 2005
                                  --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gilroy <yorli@y...> wrote:
                                  > I am not sure what the contents of this library would be -- or what
                                  the purpose would be.
                                  > Please enlighten me.

                                  Well Bob,

                                  I'm not sure either. After I made the post about getting all those
                                  great bargains on DVDS at Dollar Tree, several people e-mailed me and
                                  asked if I'd buy some for them as they didn't live near any place where
                                  you could get them. So I got to thinking that a library where our
                                  members could borrow DVDs that are not widely available might be a good
                                  idea.

                                  For instance - I have many many DVDs of obscure and not readily
                                  availabe tv shows, movies with a old time radio tie-in, serials, old
                                  westerns, many obscure horror movies, movies on conspiracy theories,
                                  and just plain ole stuff that many people living in smaller areas or
                                  rural areas can't get.

                                  I know that there are groups that do VCD distros, but ours might be a
                                  lending library where people could borrow stuff they couldn't readily
                                  get.
                                  But it's up to the group. Thats the reason for the poll.