Re: Still having trouble with Media Location

  • Archie
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 29, 2004
      When you insert the disc into the CD drive and fire up Otter,
      navigate in the left pane to the drive with the disc. Open it and
      click on the folder you want. The file imformation should appear in
      the right window. Check that the correct series is showing in the
      top left.

      To tell Otter to remember file details, select Files|Update
      Attributes from Menu BAr. To tell Otter to remember where you have
      stored the files (ie what disc) Select Files|Remember Location from
      Menu BAr.

      If you have been trying unsuccessfully to remember location,
      select "Series|Clear locations/Attributes" from the Menu Bar and
      then redo the Update Attribute and remember location functions.

      To see that Otter has remembered what you want it to, select
      the "SERIES" icon. You will see a check mark beside
      each 'remembered' file showing that you have it and it will display
      the file information (size, length etc) of that file. Double click
      on the file and it will play if your disc is still inthe drive. If
      it is not in the drive, Otter will tell you what disc to insert.

      I would not get too wrapped up on what is showing in the 'media
      volumes' section in the left pane.

      Archie

      --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "rogerhohenbrink"
      <rhohenbrink@e...> wrote:
      > Tried a second CD and it still did not work - I now have Dimension
      > and one CD of x Minus One in - everthing seem to work except the
      > Media Location
      >
      > Roger
      >
      > --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "any_ol_1" <otrmail@m...>
      wrote:
      > > This is a long shot not confirmed but off the top of my head I
      > > recall a problem with the first entry. I was in the middle of
      > > asking Jim but never got around to finish it. If I remember, it
      > > allocated the index at 0 but didn't put a 0 in the _volumes file.
      > > Try another series or repeat the process.. my guess is one part
      of
      > > the program starts at "0" the the other "1" and the first entry
      is
      > > lost.
      > > Just a guess.
    • rogerhohenbrink
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 29, 2004
        Hi Archie

        Tried to do this step by step with no go on the Media Location -
        Talked to Jim on this and we found this part of the manual does not
        work

        The way we got it to work was

        1 - Insert the CD in the drive, selective that drive from the file
        tree in the left Pane of Otter and open the series up.

        2 - Go to View at the top - Go to View - List - Episodes You Have -
        click on Episodes You Have.

        3 - This will only show all the shows that is on that CD in the
        right hand window. - Also in the right hand window only the
        shows on that CD will also have a blue check mark (No other
        shows except the shows on the CD will show in this window).

        4 - Then do a remember location and put in the name of the CD -
        click OK.

        5 - Next do a Update Attributes.

        Jim was going to talk to you about this part of the manual.

        Also in the manual my name is Roger Hohenbrink - not roger rhohenbink

        Have a great day

        Roger Hohenbrink

        --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Archie" <y_know_archie@h...>

      • Archie
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 29, 2004
          Hi Roger

          I have corrected the spelling of your name.

          As for the remember location, I have done hundreds of discs. The
          steps that I have shown below work. However, I have always burned
          my discs with a volume name that matches the disc name that I enter
          into Otter.

          What error are you getting? Describe for me what you are seeing.

          <rhohenbrink@e...> wrote:
> [...]

          > > To see that Otter has remembered what you want it to, select
          > > the "SERIES" icon. You will see a check mark beside
          > > each 'remembered' file showing that you have it and it will
          display
          > > the file information (size, length etc) of that file. Double
          click
          > > on the file and it will play if your disc is still inthe drive.
          If
          > > it is not in the drive, Otter will tell you what disc to insert.
          > >
          > > I would not get too wrapped up on what is showing in the 'media
          > > volumes' section in the left pane.
          > >
          > > Archie
          > >
          > > --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "rogerhohenbrink"
          > > <rhohenbrink@e...> wrote:
          > > > Tried a second CD and it still did not work - I now have
          > Dimension
          > > > and one CD of x Minus One in - everthing seem to work except

        • rogerhohenbrink
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 29, 2004
            Hi Archie

            Not getting any errors - the Media Location just does not show up
            when I do it your way

            The Way I have it in this post is the way Jim puts his in and it
            works for me.

            Roger

            wrote:
> [...]
            > from
            > > > Menu BAr.
            > > >
            > > > If you have been trying unsuccessfully to remember location,
            > > > select "Series|Clear locations/Attributes" from the Menu Bar
            and
            > > > then redo the Update Attribute and remember location functions.
            > > >
            > > > To see that Otter has remembered what you want it to, select
            > > > the "SERIES" icon. You will see a check mark beside
            > > > each 'remembered' file showing that you have it and it will
            > display
            > > > the file information (size, length etc) of that file. Double
            > click
            > > > on the file and it will play if your disc is still inthe
            drive.
            > If
            > > > it is not in the drive, Otter will tell you what disc to insert.
            > > >
            > > > I would not get too wrapped up on what is showing in the 'media

          • Archie
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 30, 2004
              I amended the manual to say click on HAVE first before doing the
              rest. I tried it and it worked here.

              I know Otter sometimes has toruble remembering.

              How do you check that it worked? Do you go to series, look for
              the 'loc known' indicator? Another good way is without the disc in
              the drive, simply double click a check marked file. Otter should
              tell you what disc it is on.

              I never use the 'Media Volumes' in the left pane. I think there are
              display limitations with it.

              I have reported the bug to Otter Author.