Looking for info on "Whatever Became Of..."

  • gloker.geo
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2004
      I have come across a reference to this show running as a sustaining
      show on the Pacifica network from 1965 to 1971, and I have a number of
      dated and undated shows. Some of the dates go beyond the 1971 period,
      though.

      Can someone who has access to Hickerson's book or Dunning's book take
      a look to see if they have any more information as to the dates that
      this show ran?

      Thanks.

      Geoff Loker
    • Clorinda Thompson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2004
        WHAT EVER BECAME OF... WITH RICHARD LAMPARSKI,
        MID 60'S WBAI, NY 300+ SHOWS AVAILABLE
        THAT'S ALL IT SAYS ABOUT IT
        CLORINDA
        I have come across a reference to this show running as a sustaining
        show on the Pacifica network from 1965 to 1971, and I have a number of
        dated and undated shows. Some of the dates go beyond the 1971 period,
        though.

        Can someone who has access to Hickerson's book or Dunning's book take
        a look to see if they have any more information as to the dates that
        this show ran?

        Thanks.

        Geoff Loker

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Geoff Loker
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2004
          Thank you, and "Blast!" I was hoping for an answer roughly akin to
          Dunning's
          style of saying that a show ran on Thursdays starting on July 26, 1951 until
          September 27, when it changed to Wednesdays, etc. Having a start date
          for the
          show, I could set up a bunch of "Title Unknown" entries and fill in the
          dates
          for the shows that I have that are dated. Unfortunately, I think that the
          dates are somewhat suspect, since they run much later than the show
          supposedly
          ran, and since they aren't consistently running on a particular day of the
          week.

          Oh well...

          Geoff Loker

          Clorinda Thompson wrote:

          >WHAT EVER BECAME OF... WITH RICHARD LAMPARSKI,
          >MID 60'S WBAI, NY 300+ SHOWS AVAILABLE
          >THAT'S ALL IT SAYS ABOUT IT
          >CLORINDA

        • Alan Kleinberger
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
            I recorded the show off the air in the early 70's when I began
            collecting otr. At that time, it was running on WBAI-FM in NYC on
            Monday nights at 9 pm. However, keep in mind that Pacifica radio was
            quite free-form; I recall the show would disappear for weeks at a
            time, and was often broadcast late (since the station consisted
            largely of live talk shows, it was rather informal about timing - it
            wasn't unusual for the show to start around midnight).

            Most of the shows during that later period were rebroadcasts, and I
            suspect that Lamparski was only producing shows sporadically by
            then. It continued to air in NYC into late 1972 or early 1973, and
            it's possible that dated recordings you've encountered from that
            period are actually reruns of shows that aired originally years
            earlier. For example, I've recently encoded a very good Neal Sadaka
            interview Lamparski did that was broadcast in September of 1971; it
            was only within the last year that I discovered, via some internal
            evidence, that the show must have been recorded around 1969.

            It seems that over 300 shows exist; only thirty-something are
            circulating in mp3. I'm in the process of encoding another dozen or
            so from my old reel to reel tapes; I'll let everyone know when
            they're ready. Bear in mind that WHATEVER BECAME OF was not
            restricted to interviewing old radio stars; most of the shows are
            concerned with old movie stars, pop music stars and so forth.
            They're great shows, often veering into provocative and unusual
            topics.

            Alan Kleinberger

            --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, Geoff Loker <britcom@S...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2004
              --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Kleinberger"
              <akleinb@o...> wrote:; only thirty-something are
              > circulating in mp3. I'm in the process of encoding another dozen
              or
              > so from my old reel to reel tapes; I'll let everyone know when
              > they're ready.

              I have about 58 episodes of this show which I'm uploading and will
              beam to Alan so he can put together a better set for us.

              Alan, keep us posted on your progress.