8313Re: DC++

  • Kurt
    Jan 7, 2009
      Bob,

      FWIW, I had a few challenges along the road to Active mode as well,
      which may or may not apply to you, but I'll send them along in hope...

      1. I'm still using a dynamic IP address, so whenever I start up my
      machine and the DC++, I have to grab the IP address shown in the OTRR
      Group Hub banner, go into the File-> Settings menu and replace the IP
      address. Going static is on my to do list.........

      2. I don't pretend to understand or recall all the hoops I jumped
      thru to get to this configuration, but I am am using a Linksys router
      for a DSL connection and my connection setting seems to need to
      be "Firewall with manual port forwarding". To effect the port
      forwarding, you've got to go into the router software, go
      to "Advanced" and then the "Forwarding" tab, supply a UDP and a TCP
      port value and your internal IP address (this can be found by
      running "ipconfig" from a Windows command prompt). Supply those port
      numbers in the appropriate spaces back in the DC++ Connection
      Settings dialog. One word of warning re something that keeps coming
      back to bite me... even after you've got Active mode running
      correctly, it seems that the internal IP address gets regenerated
      periodically according to no rhyme or reason I know of... if all of a
      sudden you can't get into "Active" mode anymore, you may need to go
      get the new value and plug it into the router software port
      forwarding page again. Seems to happen to me every month or two.

      3. To get a more complete and coherent explanation, the "Getting
      Started" section of the DC++ help menu can fill in the gaps...took a
      few readings, but eventually I found it had everything I needed to
      get the job done. It's very well done.

      Important disclaimer: I'm not especially well versed in this stuff,
      so take what I've written with a grain of salt, your mileage may
      vary, etc., etc...... and good luck!

      Kurt

      --- In OTR-Project@yahoogroups.com, Robert Gilroy <yorli@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jim,
      > I appreciate your taking time to respond to a mundane request like
      this when you have much more important things to deal with.
      > I was on a router and could not get that to work so, I connected
      directly to the modem - that made no difference.
      > I have a windows firewall but allow DC++ through.
      > I have done everything I can think of, but to no effect...
      > In desperation I did switch to passive mode and that works.
      However, I would like to be in active mode... but for now it is
      working.
      > Thanks for your input.
      > BoB

      hub, but cannot connect to any of the members.  Keeps timing out.
      Any suggestions.
      > > Thanks
      > > BoB
      > >
      >  are you behind a firewall, or router?  If so, you will have to
      make some changes in them to allow you to connect properly.  Also
      check to see if you are running in Active mode.  If so, change it to
      Passive mode.  That may help.
      > jimb

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic