7789Radio Lab's show about Orson Welles "War of the Worlds" crosspost

  • Jim Wallace
    Mar 28, 2008
      Latest one-hour episode of the excellent Radio Lab program covers the
      1938 program, and the two other versions. Interesting stuff.

      Base link currently has the program on its page
      http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/

      Link to that episode
      http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2008/03/07

      Link to MP3
      http://audio.wnyc.org/radiolab_podcast/radiolab_podcast032508.mp3

      "An examination of the power of mass media to create panic. In Radio
      Lab's very first live hour, we take a deep dive into one of the most
      controversial moments in broadcasting history - Orson Welles' 1938
      radio play about Martians invading New Jersey. And we ask: Why did it
      fool people then? And why has it continued to fool people since? From
      Santiago, Chile to Buffalo, New York to a particularly disastrous
      evening in Quito, Ecuador"