346Re: Realy need help

  • Archie
    Mar 1, 2004
      --- In Otter-Project@yahoogroups.com, "otrwash" <stewwright@w...>
      wrote:

      Very good advice Stewart. May I add some additional thoughts.

      > Next read the pertinent sections of THE UNOFFICIAL GUIDE TO
      OTTER.
      > The format that Otter accepts is partially explained in section
      15.0
      > CREATING A NEW SERIES LOG AS A TEXT FILE of the THE UNOFFICIAL
      GUIDE
      > TO OTTER. Only certain fields are mentioned.

      The log in Otter only contains the following fields:

      exists indicated by the '*'
      date in the yy/mm/dd format
      episode number
      Episode title.

      The Otter database contains additional information that is not part
      of the log file per se (such as genre) and other file related info
      (sound quality etc) that are input by the user

      > The fields in your Excel spreadsheet will have to be formatted
      > exactly as Otter requires. If they aren't, you will have reformat
      > your spreadsheet to comply with Otter's requirements. This may
      > require reordering your spreadsheet fields (columns). You will
      > probably have problems with the formatting of the date field
      because
      > Otter uses a date different format YY/MM/DD than Excel MM/DD/YY or
      > MM/DD/YYYY. This may require additional editing of the text file
      in
      > a text processor such as NotePad or WordPad before importing the
      file
      > into Otter.

      You should be able to create a custom Excel format that will
      reformat your dates into the appropriate Otter style.

      > If you have additional fields in your Excel spreadsheet, you may
      want
      > to export a log from Otter to see how it is formatted. Take a
      look
      > at 19.0 HOW TO EXPORT A TEXT FILE FROM OTTER in THE UNOFFICIAL
      GUIDE
      > TO OTTER.
      >

      > Stewart

      A question for toebig. What information is in your Excel that you
      want to import into Otter? Could you give me some examples?

      An import function for other types of logs (rather than the standard
      Otter txt file) might be possible in a future version. I would like
      to provide the author of otter with some examples of what our
      requirements might be in this regard.

      Archie
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic