    Jan 24, 2014

      They are heavy beast.

      Ken Burney

      On Jan 24, 2014 4:48 AM, <aroman@...> wrote:

      According to this chart, a typical 2-bay short hopper should weigh in at about 13 ounces. This “feels” about right. I recently purchased some new Atlas die-cast hoppers. I believe they neglect to mention the model weight on theor web-site. As a result, I was taken aback when I received the cars and found they weigh in at a bloated 1/2-oz short of two pounds!! Now, on level track this may not strike you as terrible (the trucks are very free-rolling), but on my layout there is one very steep grade - unrealistically so, but unfortunately the only way I could engineer it. At two pounds per car, it takes an awful lot of loco to drag those suckers up-grade. And should the couplers ever part at an unscheduled time ...look out below! Certainly an outfit like Atlas must know about ideal weights. What’s the problem? Sure it’s die-cast... but just make the walls thinner for gosh sakes. And it holds true for other cars I bought, such as their tank cars and others.

      No, the included coal load is not part of the problem... it’s plastic. And no, I have no desire to drill out the castings to shed weight. Not at those prices! It’s one reason I really prefer to run the OLD Atlas (Roco) plastic hoppers, shortening, modifying and upgrading them to suit my layout.

      ~Andy R!

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic