27158Re: Derails where and Why???

  • Stephen Bartlett
    Jan 20, 2014
      Michael,

      Derail usage varies according to the requirements of the particular
      railroad, at taht pdriod in time.

      Derails would be found at most/all spurs off a main line where cars may
      be left. They are also at the ends of (passing) sidings.

      An exception might be if the track is sufficiently upgrade to the main
      track, with no downgrade on the off-main track that would allow a car to
      attain enough speed to overcome the grade.

      Derails on passing sidings would be located on the siding side of the
      clearance point. The New Haven commonly used derails that were pipe
      connected to the siding switch stand, so that opening the switch also
      dropped the derail.

      Top-of-rail derails are located on the rail away from the main track and
      divert wheels on that track to the outside of the track, dropping the
      opposite wheel between the rails. These derails, steel castings, may be
      designed to derail in one direction only or may be bi-directinal. They
      may also be pivoted to flip up over the rail or slide up, pushed from
      between the rails. They may be switch stand operated or merely flipped
      up over the rail, locked in either position by a switch padlock.

      Split point derails are becoming more common on industrial track in my
      area, Massachusetts, following the runaway a few years ago of a loaded
      lumber car that went over a derail, entered a main track, and hit a
      commuter train head on.

      Steve Bartlett

      nuthouse@... wrote:

      Fellows,

      I am making up a few derails, tell me if I am wrong, they would be
      placed on a siding where if anything decided to run away it would derail
      before it hit the main track.

      Thanks

      Michael
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic