26758Re: [OSCALEMODELERS] O gauge Shays for 2014

  • Layton Snover Sr.
    Oct 21, 2013
      Hi Russell,

      Your right, have found that moving the crankcase (thus the whole 3 cyl "engine") was the major change to the engine, and, yes it was done to keep the slip joints between the crankshaft and the trucks, in best alignment. On early small Shays the "engine" often tilted in at the top, to keep piping (intake and exhaust) about the same, on standard gauge locos and engines tended to be vertical on narrow gauge.
      On the later larger Shays standard gauge tended to be vertical and narrow gauge tilted inward at the crankcase.
      For both the above reasons.

      Best,
      Lee