26756Re: [OSCALEMODELERS] O gauge Shays for 2014

  • Russell Courtenay
    Oct 20, 2013
      Yes, what I have found in my brief study of geared locos is that about the only things that were changed between the gauges was the trucks/ wheels/ axles. Though on Shays it seems sometimes the cylinders were inclined to match the driveline location, I don't know how this was handled with a gauge change.

      There are many instances of gauge changes on these locos carried out in the owners' shops.

      Russell Courtenay - Idaho USA
      An Idaho Railroad News and Discussion Group.

      On Oct 20, 2013, at 8:12 AM, Layton Snover Sr. <leetown@...> wrote:

      Hi Jace,

      Not ready yet.  I'm finding many engines were offered in multi-gauges by Lima.   the 60-3  type (Like WSLCo. #12) was mfg. in 30" gauge, 3' gauge and standard gauge.  A  30"  gauge is preserved, also a  3' is preserved, but haven't found a preserved standard gauge one yet.  in 1920, Lima built 50 ton Shays (truss rod) in 3' and standard.  ditto girder frame units, with cast trucks.  (these even used the same boiler plans!)

      Best,
      Lee

      On Oct 20, 2013, at 9:59 AM, JGG KahnSr <jacekahn@...> wrote:

      It might be helpful if you could show images or drawings of the prototypes you are using for these.

      Jace Kahn
      General Manager
      Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co.

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)