Looking for Sharp sensors

  • Aaron Ramsey
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 2, 2010
      I'm looking for the GP2Y0D340K sharp sensors, but it looks like Sharp
      has discontinued these digital sensors. Basically I'm looking for a nice
      fast IR sensor for a new minisumo that I'm building. These little
      digital ones from Sharp are nice and fast (sub 10ms) but I didn't pick
      any up back when I had a chance. ;-(

      The only place I've found them in stock so far is at active-robots.com
      (http://www.active-robots.com/products/sensors/sensors-sharp.shtml) but
      I'm hesitant to order from the UK if I can find some closer. Anyone have
      some bright ideas?

      Aaron
    • Richard Cook
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 2, 2010
        On 10-08-02 03:22 PM, Aaron Ramsey wrote:
        > The only place I've found them in stock so far is at active-robots.com
        > (http://www.active-robots.com/products/sensors/sensors-sharp.shtml) but
        > I'm hesitant to order from the UK if I can find some closer. Anyone have
        > some bright ideas?

        Assuming you would have looked at many sites already I tried searching
        for "GP2Y0D340K in stock" and found these two:

        http://octopart.com/gp2y0d340k-sharp+microelectronics-704122
        shows that Newark has some.

        http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Info.jsp?item=65
        never heard of these guys but looks like USA and for $6!

        --
        Richard Cook, 613-591-1456
      • Aaron Ramsey
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 2, 2010
          Newark is charging an arm and a leg, including some sort of additional
          $20 charge just for the heck of it. Jerk. ;-) Farnell had the same
          problem. I pinged Junun earlier today and got a reply back that they do
          have a decent amount in stock so i think I'll be giving them a shot. The
          Mark III sumo kit that they have was a pretty good little sumo back in
          its day. I hadn't realized that they were still alive and kicking until
          today when I started googling this sensor.

          I also fired off an email to the guys at robotshop.ca to see if they had
          any ideas on a decent replacement. I wasn't able to come up with
          anything, but maybe they have some insight.

          Aaron

          On 10-08-02 10:26 PM, Richard Cook wrote:
          > On 10-08-02 03:22 PM, Aaron Ramsey wrote:
          >> The only place I've found them in stock so far is at active-robots.com
          >> (http://www.active-robots.com/products/sensors/sensors-sharp.shtml) but
          >> I'm hesitant to order from the UK if I can find some closer. Anyone have
          >> some bright ideas?
          > Assuming you would have looked at many sites already I tried searching
          > for "GP2Y0D340K in stock" and found these two:
          >
          > http://octopart.com/gp2y0d340k-sharp+microelectronics-704122
          > shows that Newark has some.
          >
          > http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Info.jsp?item=65
          > never heard of these guys but looks like USA and for $6!

        • Mordechai Brodt
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
            Sounds like it is time to start designing your own!

            Mordechai

            To: ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
              this guy have them in stock:

              http://www.robotsinsearch.com/sensors-optical-range-finders-c-98_132.html
              please check whether they have your type or not.

              thanks

              To: ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                On 10-08-03 02:53 PM, Waqas Zia wrote:
                > this guy have them in stock:
                > http://www.robotsinsearch.com/sensors-optical-range-finders-c-98_132.html <http://www.robotsinsearch.com/sensors-optical-range-finders-c-98_132.html>
                > please check whether they have your type or not.

                No. They don't have the GP2Y0D340K that Aaron is looking for.
                However, they do have the GP2Y0D810Z0F but strange pricing:
                - by itself: $15.00
                - with a PCB: $10.00

                that seems backwards.

                --
                Richard Cook, 613-591-1456
              • Aaron Ramsey
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                  On 10-08-03 4:47 PM, Richard Cook wrote:
                  > On 10-08-03 02:53 PM, Waqas Zia wrote:
                  >> this guy have them in stock:
                  >> http://www.robotsinsearch.com/sensors-optical-range-finders-c-98_132.html<http://www.robotsinsearch.com/sensors-optical-range-finders-c-98_132.html>
                  >> please check whether they have your type or not.
                  > No. They don't have the GP2Y0D340K that Aaron is looking for.
                  > However, they do have the GP2Y0D810Z0F but strange pricing:
                  > - by itself: $15.00
                  > - with a PCB: $10.00
                  >
                  > that seems backwards.

                  Need to buy them with wires too and then get them for only $5. ;-)

                  Aaron
                • Aaron Ramsey
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 3, 2010
                    I debated whether that was possible, but the mechanics of the sensor are likely beyond what I'm able to fab in my basement, even with the cnc machine sadly.

                    With Sharp apparently pulling out of the IR sensor market mostly, it may come to that eventually though.

                    Aaron

                    To: ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com

                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 16, 2010
                      Well, sensors arrived today from Junun. These sharp 340's are itty bitty!!

                      Junun has nice pricing on other Sharp sensors too. I may have to stock up...

                      Aaron

                      On 10-08-02 11:13 PM, Aaron Ramsey wrote:
                      > Newark is charging an arm and a leg, including some sort of additional
                      > $20 charge just for the heck of it. Jerk. ;-) Farnell had the same
                      > problem. I pinged Junun earlier today and got a reply back that they do
                      > have a decent amount in stock so i think I'll be giving them a shot. The
                      > Mark III sumo kit that they have was a pretty good little sumo back in
                      > its day. I hadn't realized that they were still alive and kicking until
                      > today when I started googling this sensor.
                      >
                      > I also fired off an email to the guys at robotshop.ca to see if they had
                      > any ideas on a decent replacement. I wasn't able to come up with
                      > anything, but maybe they have some insight.
                      >
                      > Aaron
                      >

                      > On 10-08-02 10:26 PM, Richard Cook wrote:
                      >> On 10-08-02 03:22 PM, Aaron Ramsey wrote:
                      >>> The only place I've found them in stock so far is at active-robots.com
                      >>> (http://www.active-robots.com/products/sensors/sensors-sharp.shtml) but
                      >>> I'm hesitant to order from the UK if I can find some closer. Anyone have
                      >>> some bright ideas?
                      >> Assuming you would have looked at many sites already I tried searching
                      >> for "GP2Y0D340K in stock" and found these two:
                      >>
                      >> http://octopart.com/gp2y0d340k-sharp+microelectronics-704122
                      >> shows that Newark has some.
                      >>
                      >> http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Info.jsp?item=65
                      >> never heard of these guys but looks like USA and for $6!

                    • Ken On the Road
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 16, 2010
                        I've done a bit of work stuff with Newark lately, and if it's dropped shipped from Farnell, that's where the $20 handling fee (per order, not item) comes into play, not so bad with decent sized orders, painful on small ones.
                        Not sure what the relationship is, but it appears that Newark & Farnell are related in some incestous way, painfully extracting money from both sides of the pond.
                        How was the experience with Junuun?  Shipping, etc?
                        Ken

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 16, 2010
                          On 10-08-16 7:53 PM, Ken On the Road wrote:
                          How was the experience with Junuun?  Shipping, etc?
                          Experience was painless. Paid about $6 more than quoted on the website for shipping within the US, so something like $14. Basically you order on the website and then get an email a couple minutes later with an extra Canada tax. <grin> Its all laid out upfront on their ordering page so I had no issue with it. Works good for me.

                          Got the sensors in a little over a week and a half or so via regular post. Junun had the sensors in the mail the day I paid. The tracking number was useless of course.... it hasn't been updated since it was posted. Never had a regular mail tracking number that was worth much, aside from some confidence that the package was actually shipped.

                          Aaron

                        • picdude777
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010
                            Yup, I used these guys exclusively on my mini Sumo 'bots for the CNRG.

                            For mini Sumo, I found that the latency of the Sharp ranging sensors was too high, making for laggy or incorrect responses to a target. (these are 6.5ms per reading) Also, in a 77cm ring the range reading is a bit pointless! :)

                            They are a binary sensor (detect/no detect), and apparently you can change the detect distance with a little lever on the side, but it looks to be internally glued in place. (I have yet to hack one apart to see how the adjuster works...)

                            Great sensor!

                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 30, 2010
                              Are you planning on heading down to CNRG again this year? I'm very
                              slowly making progress on some new minisumos for this year.... hopefully
                              I will be a little more competitive in the expert division this year.

                              Aaron

                              On 10-08-30 10:37 AM, picdude777 wrote:
                              > Yup, I used these guys exclusively on my mini Sumo 'bots for the CNRG.
                              >
                              > For mini Sumo, I found that the latency of the Sharp ranging sensors was too high, making for laggy or incorrect responses to a target. (these are 6.5ms per reading) Also, in a 77cm ring the range reading is a bit pointless! :)
                              >
                              > They are a binary sensor (detect/no detect), and apparently you can change the detect distance with a little lever on the side, but it looks to be internally glued in place. (I have yet to hack one apart to see how the adjuster works...)
                              >

                              > Great sensor!
                              >
                              > --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Ramsey<aaronsmaillistaccount@...> wrote:
                              >> Well, sensors arrived today from Junun. These sharp 340's are itty bitty!!
                              >>
                              >> Junun has nice pricing on other Sharp sensors too. I may have to stock up...
                              >>
                              >> Aaron

                            • Darcy Whyte
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 31, 2010
                                What's CNRG?

                                On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Aaron Ramsey <aaronsmaillistaccount@...> wrote:

                                Are you planning on heading down to CNRG again this year? I'm very
                                slowly making progress on some new minisumos for this year.... hopefully
                                I will be a little more competitive in the expert division this year.

                                Aaron

                                On 10-08-30 10:37 AM, picdude777 wrote:
                                > Yup, I used these guys exclusively on my mini Sumo 'bots for the CNRG.
                                >
                                > For mini Sumo, I found that the latency of the Sharp ranging sensors was too high, making for laggy or incorrect responses to a target. (these are 6.5ms per reading) Also, in a 77cm ring the range reading is a bit pointless! :)
                                >
                                > They are a binary sensor (detect/no detect), and apparently you can change the detect distance with a little lever on the side, but it looks to be internally glued in place. (I have yet to hack one apart to see how the adjuster works...)
                                >

                                > Great sensor!
                                >
                                > --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Ramsey<aaronsmaillistaccount@...> wrote:
                                >> Well, sensors arrived today from Junun. These sharp 340's are itty bitty!!
                                >>
                                >> Junun has nice pricing on other Sharp sensors too. I may have to stock up...
                                >>
                                >> Aaron

                              • Aaron Ramsey
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 31, 2010
                                  On 10-08-31 6:23 AM, Darcy Whyte wrote: What's  CNRG?

                                  Canadian National Robot Games in Toronto. Happens near the end of November every year at the Science Center. Sumo and mini-sumo robots, line following, firefighting, search and rescue, and some walking competitions.

                                  http://www.robotgames.ca/games/

                                  Loads of fun.

                                  Aaron

                                • picdude777
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 1, 2010
                                    Planning on it so far, as long as there is one! (no news on the site yet about 2010, and we're long past last year's registration start date...)

                                    I've got to contact the organizer (Steve) and ask about having my son compete in beginner MiniSumo (on his own), even though "he" technically came in second last year.

                                    I may just build up a stock Mark III to keep it completely fair with the other kids. (I don't like the Sumovore, no "brain" and cheesey sensors, far to expensive for what it is...)

                                    I'm going to try to hack a Robosapien Mk 1 into a walker, as these guys really move out compared to the quadropeds+ that were competing last year. :)

                                    Should be fun!