Re: [ORE_bits] Presentation topics for the next meeting

  • Aaron and Hifumi
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 1, 2001
      Sounds like nobody other than me and Stephane have any interest in this.
      Will we just be wasting our time putting together stuff, or is anyone
      actually interested?

      Aaron

      At 09:08 PM 30/08/2001 -0400, you wrote:
      >Are there any requests for presentations? We have enough expertise in the
      >group to talk about most anything... what do people want to know more about?
      >
      >All you lurkers out there... speak up!
      >
      >Aaron
    • galapagos
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 2, 2001
        Well if I didn't have a deadline to meet with the paintball robot maybe I
        would have some more time to chit chat and offer suggestions.

        Unfortunatly I have been puting in lots of late nights into building the bot
        but right now it looks like it might not be quite totally ready like
        Stephane mentioned in a previous message.

        This is partly due to having a wife a kid and a full time job which does not
        leave much time for fun stuff except for late night journeys into sleepless
        nights and the other part is due to only having two team members!!!

        I guess that you might have noticed that I'm kind of bitter about the whole
        thing but that is due to the state of mind I get into after going to bed at
        4:30 in the morning for the last few weeks.

        As for the rest of the members of this group (we sure have a number of them)
        turned into a bunch of lurkers or maybe they just not quite back from the
        Summer vacations or they totally lost interest in sharing information.

        This is how I feel today tomorow is another day,hopefully a better one!

        > Sounds like nobody other than me and Stephane have any interest in this.
        > Will we just be wasting our time putting together stuff, or is anyone
        > actually interested?
        >
        > Aaron
        >
        > At 09:08 PM 30/08/2001 -0400, you wrote:
        > >Are there any requests for presentations? We have enough expertise in the
        > >group to talk about most anything... what do people want to know more
        about?

        > >All you lurkers out there... speak up!
        > >
        > >Aaron

      • Aaron and Hifumi
        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 2, 2001
          Well, I know that you are busy Laz. And besides, most anything that we will
          present at the meetings, you'll already know or thought about. You don't
          have to prove your dedication to the robot club and you definitely aren't
          the guy that I'm concerned about.

          If you look back through the archives of this group, you'll see about 4
          guys who have posted 95% of all the messages. It's the other 43 members
          that I'm wondering about. I figure that out of the 47 members, probably 1/4
          to 1/3 of them aren't in Ottawa. That leaves roughly 30 to 35 people. Take
          out the 7 or 8 people are who active in the group, that leaves around 25
          people who won't speak up about any subject on the mailing list.

          I don't understand why. Some of them might say it's because they don't feel
          like they have enough knowledge about some subjects to speak up. Fair
          enough, I can buy into that some of the time. But, as you can see from the
          archives, a lack of knowledge hasn't stopped the rest of us from speaking
          our minds. Besides, that doesn't stop anyone from telling us what they'd
          like to see from a robot club in Ottawa. The club is for everyone, not just
          the guys who may have built a couple robots in the past. In fact, it's for
          the newbies likely more than anyone. The guys who are actively building
          robots will be actively building robots regardless. The club is about
          sharing knowledge to help other people become active.

          If none of you other guys (I assume that you at least read the email list,
          if not post on it) are going to speak up, everything is going to keep going
          along like it is. The ORE website will continue to be a ghost town. The
          mailing list will continue to be a conversation between a couple of people.
          And the meetings will continue to be a show-off session between those of us
          who are building and dreaming.

          Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with keeping things the way they are.
          I love getting together and checking out what Laz/Stephane/Chris/Guy/etc
          are putting together. I get lots of ideas from the meetings, and I come
          home from meetings all geared up and ready to start soldering and programming.

          Aaron

          At 09:20 AM 02/09/2001 -0400, Laz wrote:
          >Well if I didn't have a deadline to meet with the paintball robot maybe I
          >would have some more time to chit chat and offer suggestions.
          >
          >Unfortunately I have been puting in lots of late nights into building the bot
          >but right now it looks like it might not be quite totally ready like
          >Stephane mentioned in a previous message.
          >
          >This is partly due to having a wife a kid and a full time job which does not
          >leave much time for fun stuff except for late night journeys into sleepless
          >nights and the other part is due to only having two team members!!!
          >
          >I guess that you might have noticed that I'm kind of bitter about the whole
          >thing but that is due to the state of mind I get into after going to bed at
          >4:30 in the morning for the last few weeks.
          >
          >As for the rest of the members of this group (we sure have a number of them)
          >turned into a bunch of lurkers or maybe they just not quite back from the
          >Summer vacations or they totally lost interest in sharing information.
          >
          >This is how I feel today tomorow is another day,hopefully a better one!

        • Jon Hylands
          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 2, 2001
            On Sun, 02 Sep 2001 09:55:30 -0400, you wrote:

            > If none of you other guys (I assume that you at least read the email list,
            > if not post on it) are going to speak up, everything is going to keep going
            > along like it is. The ORE website will continue to be a ghost town. The
            > mailing list will continue to be a conversation between a couple of people.
            > And the meetings will continue to be a show-off session between those of us
            > who are building and dreaming.

            Aaron,

            This is true on almost every mailing list in existance. For instance,
            I am member of the Yahoo Robotics Club
            (http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/theroboticsclub)

            It has just over 1500 members. If you look through the archives,
            you'll see that there are probably around 20 people who post
            regularly. Typical chat nights have 4-10 people in. Where are the
            other 1500?

            The simple fact of the matter is, most people don't do anything other
            than watch TV. There are very few people out there who can sustain the
            level of personal commitment required (while working a regular job as
            well) to complete a project like a sophisticated robot. It has to be a
            pretty high priority in your life, and most people just can't or won't
            do that.

            I'm not super active on this list, but I am active on other lists, and
            of course MicroSeeker keeps me very busy. I would definitely come to
            the meetings if I was still in Ottawa, but unfortunately I'm in
            Calgary now...

            Later,
            Jon
          • blank
            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 2, 2001
              Anything we can do to help? This is supposed to be fun
              :-)

              Guy

              http://im.yahoo.com
            • Aaron and Hifumi
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 2, 2001
                At 09:04 AM 02/09/2001 -0600, Jon wrote:
                >I'm not super active on this list, but I am active on other lists, and
                >of course MicroSeeker keeps me very busy. I would definitely come to
                >the meetings if I was still in Ottawa, but unfortunately I'm in
                >Calgary now...

                In Calgary now! You really get around. Calgary is a great town for
                robotics. There are some competitions coming up there fairly soon, if I'm
                not mistaken. Not to mention that shipping from HVWTech is free. ;-)

                Aaron
              • Andrew Plumb
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 2, 2001
                  I'm back from San Francisco now. Was at a wedding, attended the
                  LinuxWorld Expo for fun, etc. :-)

                  How about something PIC-focused? Those seem to be the most useful
                  general-purpose microcontrollers out there, come in DIP packages - best
                  for prototyping - and I've never used one.

                  What development tools do people use? What's the most basic design you
                  can get running with them? My bias/preference is towards
                  Flash-programmable versions of the PICs since (in theory) they require the
                  least amount of design/support equipment, like E/E/PROM burners and
                  erasers, etc.

                  That's my two-cent request. :-)

                  Andrew.

                  On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, Aaron and Hifumi wrote:

                  > Are there any requests for presentations? We have enough expertise in the
                  > group to talk about most anything... what do people want to know more about?
                  >
                  > All you lurkers out there... speak up!
                  >
                  > Aaron

                  Andrew Plumb, VE3SLG
                  mailto://andrew(at)plumb(dot)org
                  http://www.plumb.org/tekmage/
                  Today's High: http://todayshigh.webhop.net/
                • Steve Crotty
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 2, 2001
                    Hi,

                    Since you seem so keen on taking questions, I guess I will pipe up. Its
                    about the H-Bridge topic someone was thinking about talking at a meeting (I
                    dont really live in ottawa so I cant really show up for the presentation).
                    Last year when I was building a robot I tried to build my own H-Bridge, and
                    had a bit of problems Biasing the transistors, The competition was fast
                    approaching so I just borrowed a package that they sell on HVWTech, but
                    this year I would like to build my own.

                    What resistors do ya put where in that circuit?? Is there any advantage
                    to using Solid State Relays instead of using transistors?

                    Is there a cheaper IC out there than the one they sell at HVWtech?

                    Regards,
                    -Steve

                    PS: Hey, if you guys are bored, check out this pneumatic web robot at my
                    old work http://xrobocam.ati.SL.on.ca/default.asp

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 2, 2001
                      On Sun, 2 Sep 2001 15:58:34 -0400 (EDT), Andrew Plumb <andrew@...>
                      wrote:

                      > What development tools do people use? What's the most basic design you
                      > can get running with them? My bias/preference is towards
                      > Flash-programmable versions of the PICs since (in theory) they require the
                      > least amount of design/support equipment, like E/E/PROM burners and
                      > erasers, etc.

                      I use the Warp-13 programmer, which I bought from the US distributor. I am
                      just starting to use CCS Pic C, which looks like a really good package, is
                      cheap, and seems to come highly recommended.

                      I only use FLASH PICs, although for the next phase of MicroSeeker I will be
                      using a few OTP 8-pin PICs for interfacing to certain sensors. I basically
                      will prototype on an EPROM version, and once I have the software right I
                      will burn the OTP chips. If I need to make a minor adjustment, I can just
                      burn another one (they're pretty cheap).

                      The main chip I am just starting to use right now is the 28-pin 16F876. It
                      is a great chip, has loads of memory, tons of hardware features, and can be
                      set up with a serial bootloader so you don't even need a programmer after
                      the first time.

                      From a simplicity point of view, all you need is a +5 volt supply, an
                      oscillator (or a crystal and a pair of caps), and a resistor to pull MCLR
                      high. And of course the PIC itself. If you're going to use an 87x, you will
                      also need an RS-232 level converter chip, like a MAX232. I am using Dallas
                      DS-275 chips for that because they are dead simple, 8 pins, and no external
                      components.

                      The real place to look for PIC information is the PICList FAQ page, which
                      is at:

                      http://www.piclist.com/techref/microchip/index.htm

                      I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions...

                      Later,
                      Jon

                      Jon Hylands Jon@... http://www.huv.com/jon

                      http://www.huv.com
                    • Mordechai Brodt
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 3, 2001
                        I would be glad to give a presentation on PIC developmant, describing
                        various means of developing that would cost as little as possible, and be
                        easy to do.

                        Mordechai Brodt
                        GSI Lumonics
                        613-592-4375 x1405

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 3, 2001
                          Hi,

                          If you are using small motors, you can use the L293D or SN754410 (same biut
                          improved) chip. This is a dual H bridge chip, costs about $5 at Active, and
                          can control two motors. You can use PWM if you like, or just On/Off.

                          See http://academic1.bellevue.edu/robots/robotsandstuff.html for a sample
                          PWM PID (Proportional-Integral-Derivative) Control using this chip with a
                          PIC and a BasicX24.

                          The L298N Motor Driver IC (Active carries this too, about $8 I think) is the
                          chip used in HVWTechs L298 Motor Driver Kit ($28) which I suppose you are
                          already using. It too works in a similar fashion.

                          Other chips to check out are the LM18200 and LM18201 from National.com, and
                          they will even give you free samples of these!

                          With any of these chips, you do not have to worry at all about the biasing
                          of transistors, or any other analog type of interfacing, as they reduce the
                          problem to a simple digital type of interface.

                          Note that if you consider the per-chip price seems expensive compared to
                          transistors or mosfets, they are still way cheaper than the parts cost of
                          the 4-8 transistors or mosfets and associated circuitry that they replace.

                          Mordechai Brodt

                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 3, 2001
                            --- In ORE_bits@y..., Aaron and Hifumi <aaron_hifumi@b...> wrote:
                            > Are there any requests for presentations? We have enough expertise
                            in the
                            > group to talk about most anything... what do people want to know
                            more about?

                            > All you lurkers out there... speak up!
                            >
                            > Aaron

                            Hi guys,

                            I discovered the Ottawa Robotics Enthusiasts only about
                            a month ago and have been following this "Yahoo Group" with interest.
                            I am currently building a robot for the "Trinity College Fire
                            Fighting Home Robot Contest" being held April 21, 2002 in Hartford,
                            Connecticut.
                            I haven't been to a club meeting yet! I couldn't make the one
                            in August due to family commitments. But September's meeting is a
                            definite go for me!
                            I could talk/present about the above mentioned contest and
                            my robot efforts so far, if there is any interest.
                            The contest's website is at: http://www.trincoll.edu/events/robot/
                            The robot I am constructing contains a MicroCore11 from
                            Technological Arts (in Toronto) and a PIC16F877. The MicroCore11
                            (basically a Motorola MC68HC11 microcontroller) is the "brains"
                            and the PIC16F877 controls the sensors and LCD. The sensors are
                            2 GP2D02 IR rangefinders and an SRF04 ultrasonic rangefinder.
                            The candle detector will be an Eltec 442 PIR or a UVtron UV detector
                            or both!

                            Cheers,
                            Ron
                          • galapagos
                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 3, 2001
                              Sounds like a lot of fun!

                              I would sure like to see your bot if possible as I was thinking of once
                              joining the firefighting competition!

                              And you never know we might even decide to have on later on.

                              See you at the meeting

                              Laz
                              > > Are there any requests for presentations? We have enough expertise
                              > in the
                              > > group to talk about most anything... what do people want to know
                              > more about?
                              > >
                              > > All you lurkers out there... speak up!
                              > >
                              > > Aaron
                              >
                              > Hi guys,
                              >
                              > I discovered the Ottawa Robotics Enthusiasts only about
                              > a month ago and have been following this "Yahoo Group" with interest.
                              > I am currently building a robot for the "Trinity College Fire
                              > Fighting Home Robot Contest" being held April 21, 2002 in Hartford,
                              > Connecticut.
                              > I haven't been to a club meeting yet! I couldn't make the one
                              > in August due to family commitments. But September's meeting is a
                              > definite go for me!
                              > I could talk/present about the above mentioned contest and
                              > my robot efforts so far, if there is any interest.
                              > The contest's website is at: http://www.trincoll.edu/events/robot/
                              > The robot I am constructing contains a MicroCore11 from
                              > Technological Arts (in Toronto) and a PIC16F877. The MicroCore11
                              > (basically a Motorola MC68HC11 microcontroller) is the "brains"
                              > and the PIC16F877 controls the sensors and LCD. The sensors are
                              > 2 GP2D02 IR rangefinders and an SRF04 ultrasonic rangefinder.
                              > The candle detector will be an Eltec 442 PIR or a UVtron UV detector
                              > or both!
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > Ron

                            • Steve Crotty
                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 4, 2001
                                To get the free samples what do ya got to do? Just ask, hey, I would like
                                these chips for free?

                                >already using. It too works in a similar fashion.
                                >
                                >Other chips to check out are the LM18200 and LM18201 from National.com, and
                                >they will even give you free samples of these!

                                -Steve

                              • Brodt, Mordechai
                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 4, 2001
                                  Just select that you want the free samples on their web site.
                                  http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LMD18200.html
                                  Just click on the 24 Hour free Samples link.

                                  Mordechai

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 4, 2001
                                    Ron,

                                    I think that it goes without saying that we'd be very interested in hearing
                                    about your design and about the competition. How far along are you in your
                                    design? When would you be comfortable talking about your project? This
                                    month or would next month be better?

                                    Aaron

                                    At 07:42 PM 03/09/2001 +0000, you wrote:
                                    >--- In ORE_bits@y..., Aaron and Hifumi <aaron_hifumi@b...> wrote:
                                    > > Are there any requests for presentations? We have enough expertise
                                    >in the
                                    > > group to talk about most anything... what do people want to know
                                    >more about?
                                    > >
                                    > > All you lurkers out there... speak up!
                                    > >
                                    > > Aaron
                                    >
                                    >Hi guys,
                                    >
                                    > I discovered the Ottawa Robotics Enthusiasts only about
                                    >a month ago and have been following this "Yahoo Group" with interest.
                                    > I am currently building a robot for the "Trinity College Fire
                                    >Fighting Home Robot Contest" being held April 21, 2002 in Hartford,
                                    >Connecticut.
                                    > I haven't been to a club meeting yet! I couldn't make the one
                                    >in August due to family commitments. But September's meeting is a
                                    >definite go for me!
                                    > I could talk/present about the above mentioned contest and
                                    >my robot efforts so far, if there is any interest.
                                    > The contest's website is at: http://www.trincoll.edu/events/robot/
                                    > The robot I am constructing contains a MicroCore11 from
                                    >Technological Arts (in Toronto) and a PIC16F877. The MicroCore11
                                    >(basically a Motorola MC68HC11 microcontroller) is the "brains"
                                    >and the PIC16F877 controls the sensors and LCD. The sensors are
                                    >2 GP2D02 IR rangefinders and an SRF04 ultrasonic rangefinder.
                                    >The candle detector will be an Eltec 442 PIR or a UVtron UV detector
                                    >or both!
                                    >
                                    >Cheers,
                                    >Ron

                                  • Aaron and Hifumi
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 4, 2001
                                      At 04:25 PM 02/09/2001 -0400, Steve wrote:
                                      >Is there a cheaper IC out there than the one they sell at HVWtech?

                                      I've used the three major h-bridge chips out there. The L293, the L298 and
                                      the LM18200. I prefer the L298, which is the chip that is on the HVWTech
                                      h-bridge design.

                                      You can get them for about half the price at BGMicro
                                      (http://www.bgmicro.com), or at least you could last time I bought a bunch.

                                      The L298 is able to drive 2 motors from one chip, but can only drive 2 amps
                                      continuous. The L293 drives something like 500mA I believe (again, two
                                      motors), and the LM18200 can drive 3 amps continuous, but only 1 motor.

                                      We are using the LM18200 on our paintball robot right now, and we aren't
                                      having the best of luck. I was trying to run 4 of them in parallel in order
                                      to be able to drive more current. We've managed to destroy 12 of the chips
                                      so far... luckily National has a great sample policy, or we would be
                                      several hundreds of dollars in debt. <grin>

                                      If you really want to get serious about an h-bridge, this is the bad boy:
                                      http://www.dmillard.com/osmc/ It's the open-source motor controller. As
                                      designed, it can handle over 100amps. There is a newer improved design in
                                      the works. They have a very active yahoo group dedicated to the design of
                                      it. It's very interesting reading.

                                      Anyhow, the short answer is: use the chips if you are driving motors that
                                      need 2 amps and less at full load. If you need more then that, then you
                                      need to start designing a bridge made from FETs. (by the way, ONSemi
                                      (www.onsemi.com) has a fantastic sample policy on FETs that will work well
                                      in h-bridge designs).

                                      Aaron
                                    • Steve Crotty
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 5, 2001
                                        Yeah.... I think I gave up the idea of building my own when I found out
                                        national wants to give me the IC for free, Thanks for the advice.

                                        -Steve

                                        Message 19 of 27 , Sep 5, 2001
                                          Hi Aaron,

                                          I think October would probably be better for me.
                                          My robot would be doing more by that time (I hope!) and I would
                                          have an opportunity to attend my first meeting with ORE_bits
                                          and see firsthand the format for presentations and meet some
                                          the members.

                                          Looking forward to the meeting at Sobey's,
                                          Ron

                                          terms/
                                        • Aaron and Hifumi
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Sep 5, 2001
                                            Ron,

                                            That's kinda what I was figuring. It's a little intimidating showing up for
                                            your first meeting and having to give a little talk at the same time!

                                            Bring your robot as it is for the september meeting though.

                                            Aaron