Re: [ORE_bits] Anyone need something from Digikey?

  • galapagos
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
      Yes we already got our stuff

      Laz

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Aaron and Hifumi" <aaron_hifumi@...>
      To: <ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 6:14 PM
      Subject: Re: [ORE_bits] Anyone need something from Digikey?

      > Laz or Stephane? Did you guys already make an order for the IR stuff?
      >
      > Aaron
      >
      > At 11:00 PM 30/07/2001 -0400, you wrote:
      > >Hey everyone!
      > >
      > >I've managed to blow a few components over the last few days, and I'm
      > >running really low on good wirewrap wire, so I'm making an order from
      > >Digikey tomorrow night.
      > >
      > >I was going to order tonite, but I figured that I'd give everyone a
      chance
      > >to add some parts to the order. Anyone need anything from Digikey?
      > >
      > >Let me know by 5 or 6 tomorrow night.

    • Stephane Gauthier
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
        We did but Lazlo might still need some last minute parts.
        How many AtMega103 (non-L) do you have?? I would buy you anytime to replace my
        dead 103L.
        I would get some samples too but I need kind of fast.

        Take care,

        Aaron and Hifumi wrote:

        > Laz or Stephane? Did you guys already make an order for the IR stuff?
        >
        > Aaron
        >
        > At 11:00 PM 30/07/2001 -0400, you wrote:
        > >Hey everyone!
        > >
        > >I've managed to blow a few components over the last few days, and I'm
        > >running really low on good wirewrap wire, so I'm making an order from
        > >Digikey tomorrow night.
        > >
        > >I was going to order tonite, but I figured that I'd give everyone a chance
        > >to add some parts to the order. Anyone need anything from Digikey?
        > >
        > >Let me know by 5 or 6 tomorrow night.

        =================
        Stephane Gauthier
        Firmware Designer

        Alcatel CID
        600 March Road, P.O. Box 13600
        Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2K 2E6

        Phone: 613 784 1387
        fax: 613 599 3639
        email: stephane.gauthier@...
      • aaron_hifumi@bottle-rocket.org
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
          I've got two of them. You are more than welcome to one of them. I can
          bring it to work tomorrow and hand it off to you at lunch or
          something. Are you up for Barley Mow's? <grin>

          Aaron

          --- In ORE_bits@y..., "Stephane Gauthier" <stephane.gauthier@a...>
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
            Cool. Are they the same type as the one on your STK though 64pins TQFP?
            I will have to check with Lazlo if he could make me a PCB for it though.
            I guess I could reuse my old "dead" 103L one too. The damn thing never
            worked. I'm using Lazlo's board right now.

            How would you interface 5V logic to a 3.3V chip otherwise? Pull ups? A zener?
            Opto? (eurk! too many I/O lines)

            I'd be up for Barley Mow! You? As long as it's around 11:30 as it's normally
            impossible to get a spot later. We could go on friday too as my boss is off.
            (hehehehehe)

            ps: how much do you want for you CPU? (Yes, I insist!)

            aaron_hifumi@... wrote:

            > I've got two of them. You are more than welcome to one of them. I can
            > bring it to work tomorrow and hand it off to you at lunch or
            > something. Are you up for Barley Mow's? <grin>
            >
            > Aaron
            >
            > --- In ORE_bits@y..., "Stephane Gauthier" <stephane.gauthier@a...>
            > wrote:
            > > We did but Lazlo might still need some last minute parts.
            > > How many AtMega103 (non-L) do you have?? I would buy you anytime to
            > replace my
            > > dead 103L.
            > > I would get some samples too but I need kind of fast.

            =================
            Stephane Gauthier
            Firmware Designer

            Alcatel CID
            600 March Road, P.O. Box 13600
            Kanata, Ontario, Canada K2K 2E6

            Phone: 613 784 1387
            fax: 613 599 3639
            email: stephane.gauthier@...
          • Aaron and Hifumi
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
              If you don't need the chip any faster, lets do Barley Mow's on friday at
              11:30. I'll bring the chip both thursday and friday just in case. You can
              call me at 270-7675 at work if you need to change the time, or whatever.

              The chips are exactly the same as the STK200 ones, other than they are 5V.
              You can upgrade the oscillator on your board to a 6MHz from 4MHz too! Woo
              woo... 50% increase in speed.

              Normally 3.3V chips are 5V tolerant, meaning that you can feed them 5V
              signals at the inputs and they will work fine. The outputs would be 3.3V,
              but that is above the 2V that is used for logic high, so 5V parts don't
              mind the 3.3V signalling. I believe that the atmel parts are all 5V
              tolerent, so it isn't a big deal. If you are using a chip that isn't 5V
              tolerant, resistors dividers will work in a pinch. In a real fancy design,
              you would need to use buffers which are designed to level translate the 5V
              to 3.3V and back.

              I'm really not looking for any cash for the chips. They were free to me, so
              I'm cool with you just taking one of them.

              Anybody else in Kanata? Barley Mows is up by Alcatel on March road.

              Aaron

            • stephane.gauthier@alcatel.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
                Sounds good friday it is then.

                That's what I've been assuming till now too. But I can't explain why 3
                of PORTE's pins are now unresponsive!

                What do you mean by resistor divider? You mean a voltage divider?
                I will keep experimenting to try to understand what went wrong.
                I just tried it and it does seem to accept 5V signals ok (and without
                damaging anything!).
                I wonder if the pins weren't damaged before I started. mmmmm?

                I need some sleep big time perhaps!
                I've been way too busy lately so the robot is not getting much
                attention. (It's sleeping more than me though!)

                I'll have an awfully busy month of August with my parents divorcing,
                auctioning some of their stuff and moving out of our old family house
                so I'll have to spend a lot of time back home. Damn! I'd rather work
                on our robot.
                Oh well,

                Later,
              • Aaron and Hifumi
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
                  At 12:24 AM 02/08/2001 +0000, Stephane wrote:
                  >Sounds good friday it is then.

                  Anybody else working Kanata?

                  >What do you mean by resistor divider? You mean a voltage divider?

                  Yup, a voltage divider made with resistors. <grin> It's not a pretty way to
                  interface things though, but it works in a pinch.

                  >I will keep experimenting to try to understand what went wrong.
                  >I just tried it and it does seem to accept 5V signals ok (and without
                  >damaging anything!).
                  >I wonder if the pins weren't damaged before I started. mmmmm?

                  I've been using my board with 5 volt signals with no problems. Maybe you
                  just got a bad board. Or maybe you shouldn't have been scooting around on
                  the carpet in your socks, petting your cat, then seeing how far of an arc
                  that you could get between your finger and the stk200. ;-)

                  >I need some sleep big time perhaps!
                  >I've been way too busy lately so the robot is not getting much
                  >attention. (It's sleeping more than me though!)

                  Our robot suffered a setback this monday when I blew four h-bridge motor
                  drivers, our 16F877 controller and a couple caps. Whoops.

                  Aaron
                • stephane.gauthier@alcatel.com
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 1, 2001
                    Actually, everything seems to work now. I just stopped using those
                    few pins. I'm still a bit uneasy about outputs to a a 5V PIC.
                    It seems to work right now.

                    hahahahahahaha (the arc joke!)

                    ZAP!!! Ouch!

                    I'm sorry to hear that dude. I've been pretty lucky with smoke-shows
                    'till now.
                    Don't worry though I'm way behind. Good thing Lazlo is so efficient
                    with the hardware part. For now I'll be happy if my robot survives
                    the obstacles!! hehehe
                    Oh well, it's only Rev 1 right?

                    Cheers,
                  • blank