RoboChamps

  • Mordechai Brodt
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2008
      I came across this today, it looks interesting.

      Mordechai

      http://www.robochamps.com/rc/Info/GettingStarted/Instructions.aspx

      Welcome to RoboChamps!

      While there has long been a large audience interested in robotics, there have also been a number of barriers to entry, both real and perceived. Robots are not widely available in traditional retail stores. If one could find a programmable robot, the cost was often times non-trivial. In addition, the �robot� that could be purchased was often in the form of a kit and required hardware knowledge and skills. And if one could both find and afford a robot, there was a perception that programming one must be difficult. RoboChamps is a new robotics programming league that removes those barriers to entry and makes robotics available to a broad audience. RoboChamps is based in simulation, which removes the barriers to entry of availability, cost, and deep hardware knowledge. RoboChamps is more specifically built on top of the simulation functionality provided in Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 2008, which means that participants can program their robots using the .NET languages they are already familiar with. In addition, a simulated robotics competition provides the opportunity for participants to engage in rich simulation environments and use robots that are unattainable via other means. For example, RoboChamps participants have the opportunity to navigate a rescue robot in a city struck by disaster, program a car to drive autonomously in a traffic filled city and drive a rover on the surface of Mars � all scenarios that would be financially prohibitive for most individuals. RoboChamps consist of a series of challenges. Each challenge comes with a 3-D simulation environment, a robot, a challenge scenario, and the rules for completing the scenario. From there, it�s up to your creativity and coding skills. Using .NET, code your robot to complete the challenge successfully, and submit an entry to the RoboChamps League. A referee service will be running to make sure the rules are being followed, determine your score and send it back to RoboChamps.com.
    • Peter Chatterton
      Message 2 of 3 , May 9, 2008
        "ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
        You are not a resident of the Province of Quebec, Canada. "
        http://www.robochamps.com/rc/Info/League/TheRules.aspx

        Anyone know why this would be?

        I'm just starting with MSRS, anything I should watch out for?
        I have the MS book by Sara Morgan but have been slow
        starting because I've just moved.

        Peter

[...]

      • Christian Beauclair
        Message 3 of 3 , May 9, 2008
          Hello everyone.

          I have been on this group for a while now and I feel this is the right time for me to introduce myself. As you can see from my email I work for Microsoft but I live here, in the Ottawa region. I'm glad to see the interest in the RoboChallenge and I'd love to help anyone who has questions. I am a little bit of a robot aficionado myself but nowhere near an expert. On your question about the exclusion of Quebec, you may have seen this in other contest as well. The province of Quebec has a very different set of rules when it comes to running contest that makes it extremely difficult for organizations. Very often they'll decide not to offer it because of this.

          Let me know if I can be of assistance.

          Christian Beauclair
          Senior Developer Advisor
          mailto: christian.beauclair@...<mailto:christian.beauclair@...>