Re: "It is ALIVE!!...."

  • ronhedge
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 2, 2008
      This might help.
      Aaron wrote a nice article on servo driving:
      http://www.ottawarobotics.org/articles/servo/servo.html

      So would the kids give up the car if it suddenly stopped working,
      say due to a clipped power wire to one of the motors?

      RonH

      --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, "labrat_3k" <labrat_3k@...> wrote:

      > Sorry for the dramatic, but given that I have just resurrected my
      > original Igore board, I thought the reference would be
      appropriate.

      > Yep.. I've *finally* got around to downloading the MPLAB IDE and
      > Compiler, tweak the files, built the test, and downloaded it to my
      > board. Whooo hooo...
      >
      > I've got a couple of RC cars here and was planning to offer one up
      for
      > use as the chassis. Unfortunately the kids are balking at my using
      the
      > one with independent drive motors. So I'm stuck with a single motor
      > (differential drive), with a servo for steering. Did some web
      > searching to see what/how to get the servo interfaced, and ran
      across
      > the following:
      >
      > http://www.instructables.com/forum/toy-rc-car-steering-mod/
      >
      > Apart from the colour, *THAT* is the vehicle I'm considering
      > modifying. (Or I could go and look at the RC "VW Beetle" that is
      still
      > in it's packaging at the back of the closet)
      >
      > Any suggestions for how to interface to that servo would be
      appreciated.

      > Andrew

    • labrat_3k
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2008
        Thanks I will take a look.
        Unfortunately I believe that this is a "frankenstein" of a servo. The
        mechanics are there, but the control logic (I believe) is integrated
        into the PCB with the radio receivers etc.

        Unfortunately the kids are of the opinion that I can fix things
        like "broken cars" etc. So clipping a wire wouldn't be sufficient to
        pull the wool over their eyes. :o(

        I'll open up the VW Bug and see what's in there, before making a
        killing blow. :o)

        A.
        --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, "ronhedge" <ronhartman99@...> wrote:

        > This might help.
        > Aaron wrote a nice article on servo driving:
        > http://www.ottawarobotics.org/articles/servo/servo.html
        >
        > So would the kids give up the car if it suddenly stopped working,
        > say due to a clipped power wire to one of the motors?
        >
        > RonH
        >
        > --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, "labrat_3k" <labrat_3k@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Sorry for the dramatic, but given that I have just resurrected my
        > > original Igore board, I thought the reference would be
        > appropriate.
        > >
        > > Yep.. I've *finally* got around to downloading the MPLAB IDE and
        > > Compiler, tweak the files, built the test, and downloaded it to my
        > > board. Whooo hooo...
        > >
        > > I've got a couple of RC cars here and was planning to offer one
        up
        > for
        > > use as the chassis. Unfortunately the kids are balking at my
        using
        > the
        > > one with independent drive motors. So I'm stuck with a single
        motor
        > > (differential drive), with a servo for steering. Did some web
        > > searching to see what/how to get the servo interfaced, and ran
        > across
        > > the following:
        > >
        > > http://www.instructables.com/forum/toy-rc-car-steering-mod/
        > >
        > > Apart from the colour, *THAT* is the vehicle I'm considering
        > > modifying. (Or I could go and look at the RC "VW Beetle" that is
        > still
        > > in it's packaging at the back of the closet)
        > >
        > > Any suggestions for how to interface to that servo would be
        > appreciated.
        > >
        > > Andrew

      • Joe Bedford
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 5, 2008
          --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, "labrat_3k" <labrat_3k@...> wrote:

          > Thanks I will take a look.
          > Unfortunately I believe that this is a "frankenstein" of a servo. The
          > mechanics are there, but the control logic (I believe) is integrated
          > into the PCB with the radio receivers etc.

          When I hacked my R/C truck to install my iGore II it proved to be easy
          to remove the toy servo and replace it with a regulare R/C servo.

          Cheers
          Joe