Analog Devices Tri-Axis Inertial Sensor

  • Nick Cogghe
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
      For those of you interested in measuring the intertia of your 'bots:

      I just tripped over this in the July EDN issue. Analog Devices has
      created a single chip (more like a cube) that contains a three axis
      gyroscope _AND_ and three axis accelerometer (plus a handful of other
      goodies). Over the last few years I've been using their single axis
      accelerometers in a few of my projects and they have always performed
      well. AD calls this chip the ADIS16355 High-Precision Tri-Axis Inertial
      Sensor, and EDN mentions that this device is going for approx $275 (I
      assume this is American dollers) (Quantity of 1000).

      (AD Info: http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0%2C2877%2CADIS16355%2C00.html)
      (EDN Info: http://www.edn.com/article/CA6447763.html)

      Sparkfun has a similar product (the latest incarnation can be found here:
      http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=754) but it
      also includes Bluetooth connectivity. Their current price is approx $450
      (American dollers) in single quantity.

      My imagination starts to run a little wild with the possibilities of how
      both these products could be used in some of my projects (especially the
      smaller chip from AD). What really excites me is the possibility that
      one day other companies will be able to make a knock-off version that is
      cheap enough to integrate a half-dozen to a dozen of these chips into a
      single project. >=)Until then I'll just keep dreaming...

      Nick
    • Jon Hylands
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007
        On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:26:19 -0400 (EDT), Nick Cogghe <ncogghe@...>
        wrote:

        > My imagination starts to run a little wild with the possibilities of how
        > both these products could be used in some of my projects (especially the
        > smaller chip from AD). What really excites me is the possibility that
        > one day other companies will be able to make a knock-off version that is
        > cheap enough to integrate a half-dozen to a dozen of these chips into a
        > single project. >=)Until then I'll just keep dreaming...

        I've used some of the discrete chips (3-axis accel, 2-axis gyro, 1 axis
        gyro) to build a 6-axis IMU:

        http://www.bioloid.info/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=6-Axis+Bus+IMU

        The sensor boards cost $175 USD from Sparkfun, and I'm going to be shortly
        selling the main board (which is really for the Bioloid) for $50.

        This isn't going to be anywhere near as nice a solution as the new module
        from Analog, but then again the module from Analog costs about $450 in
        single quantities...

        Later,
        Jon

        Jon Hylands Jon@... http://www.huv.com/jon

        Project: Micro Raptor (Small Biped Velociraptor Robot)
        http://www.huv.com/blog
      • Nick Cogghe
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007
          On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Jon Hylands wrote:

          > I've used some of the discrete chips (3-axis accel, 2-axis gyro, 1 axis
          > gyro) to build a 6-axis IMU:
          >
          > http://www.bioloid.info/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=6-Axis+Bus+IMU
          >
          > The sensor boards cost $175 USD from Sparkfun, and I'm going to be shortly
          > selling the main board (which is really for the Bioloid) for $50.
          >
          > This isn't going to be anywhere near as nice a solution as the new module
          > from Analog, but then again the module from Analog costs about $450 in
          > single quantities...

          When I first saw that Sparkfun had made breakout boards for those accels
          and gyros I was expecting them to also make a small IMU controller like
          you did, I guess they left that as a task for the community at large
          instead. You did a good job with the IMU boards, I really like that you
          fit everything for the IMU into a small, convenient package. Aside from
          the Bioloid bus, does your IMU controller support other communication
          types (serial, I2C, etc)?

          Do you run any sort of calibration routines on every startup of the IMU
          controller, or is that a task left up to the users?

          I have a prototype IMU made from the old gyros that Rotomotion used to
          distribute, some AD accelerometers, and an IgORE 2 board performing
          the processing.

          Keep posting to your blog! I'm curious to see how far you can push the
          Bioloid components. =)

          Nick