Re: [ORE_bits] MiniORE at Work

  • Aaron Ramsey
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1 4:08 AM
      rilafram wrote:

      > I thought I'd share a few photos with you about what I've been doing
      > with my MiniORE. First time I post photos so I hope I get it right.

      Cool!

      > I'm building an electric generating windmill and I needed coils for the
      > stator with 290 turns each. It took me over an hour just to spin my
      > first coil and it came out pretty "loose". As much as I tried to
      > concentrate, I also kept losing count.

      How big is your windmill going to be when its done?

      Aaron
    • Laframboise, Richard-Romeo
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1 5:02 AM
        Hi Aaron,

        The 3 blades of the wind turbine will cover an area of 8 feet in
        diameter. It should start spinning and generating electricity in wind
        speeds as low a 4mph. In strong winds it is expected to produce up to 1
        kW.

        When this baby is built and turning I intend to add some sensors to it
        to capture some more data. My intention is to use the MiniORE board.
        Might seem overkill, but there is so much potential to expand.

        BTW, I intend to go to the next meeting to bring back the MiniORE you
        initially built. I now have one of my own that I populated and enough
        "know how" to get by. It was a great opportunity for me to learn some
        of the basics of pics and some electronics.

        Do you still have some MiniORE pcbs available?

        Richard

        ________________________________

        > I thought I'd share a few photos with you about what I've been doing
        > with my MiniORE. First time I post photos so I hope I get it right.

        Cool!

        > I'm building an electric generating windmill and I needed coils for
        the
        > stator with 290 turns each. It took me over an hour just to spin my
        > first coil and it came out pretty "loose". As much as I tried to
        > concentrate, I also kept losing count.

        How big is your windmill going to be when its done?

      • tellurian
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2 6:58 AM
          Hi All,

          Ive been playing with Parallax's new microprocessor:
          the 'Propeller'. It is ideally suited to the kinds of
          robotics we commonly do.

          http://www.parallax.com/propeller/index.asp

          It is an interesting new architecture, especially for
          the hobby world. It has 8 32-bit microprocessors in it
          (called COGS) and is organized to achieve hard real
          time parallel processing in a very easy to use manner.
          It can achieve real parallel processing and handle
          multiple tasks without interrupts. In fact it does not
          even have interrupts!

          If clocked at 80 Mhz each COG can run at 20MIPS for a
          total of 160MIPS if all 8 are running (they execute in
          parallel!). It is a 3.3V part and it only consumes
          75ma running flat out at 160MIPS. It can run
          assembler, and a nice (as in rich and efficient) high
          level interpreted language called SPIN. SPIN is very
          much like an object-oriented cross between Basic and
          C, if you know either you'll get it in a flash. A C
          compiler from ImageCraft is due out towards the end of
          the year (~$200US), and a much more heavy weight
          version of the processor (Version 2) is already in the
          works (more COGs, more IO, more memory, faster too ...
          parallax has not released any more details yet).

          The chip sells for about $16, the programming
          environment and SPIN is free. It can be programmed via
          USB or RS232. There are lots of objects already
          available, free. Some are drivers in assember (i.e.
          rs232, composite video and VGA graphics drivers), many
          are in SPIN for a variety of common sensors and tasks.

          If anyone is interested in a demo / presentation at
          the next meeting (May 14) I would be happy to set
          something up.

          Allen

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Mordechai Brodt
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2 7:07 AM
            Count me in!Mordechai

            To: ORE_bits@yahoogroups.comFrom: i_tellurianDate: Wed, 2 May 2007 06:58:34 -0700Subject: [ORE_bits] Parallax Propeller Demo?

            Hi All,Ive been playing with Parallax's new microprocessor:the 'Propeller'. It is ideally suited to the kinds ofrobotics we commonly do.http://www.parallax.com/propeller/index.aspIt is an interesting new architecture, especially forthe hobby world. It has 8 32-bit microprocessors in it(called COGS) and is organized to achieve hard realtime parallel processing in a very easy to use manner.It can achieve real parallel processing and handlemultiple tasks without interrupts. In fact it does noteven have interrupts! If clocked at 80 Mhz each COG can run at 20MIPS for atotal of 160MIPS if all 8 are running (they execute inparallel!). It is a 3.3V part and it only consumes75ma running flat out at 160MIPS. It can runassembler, and a nice (as in rich and efficient) highlevel interpreted language called SPIN. SPIN is verymuch like an object-oriented cross between Basic andC, if you know either you'll get it in a flash. A Ccompiler from ImageCraft is due out towards the end ofthe year (~$200US), and a much more heavy weightversion of the processor (Version 2) is already in theworks (more COGs, more IO, more memory, faster too ...parallax has not released any more details yet).The chip sells for about $16, the programmingenvironment and SPIN is free. It can be programmed viaUSB or RS232. There are lots of objects alreadyavailable, free. Some are drivers in assember (i.e.rs232, composite video and VGA graphics drivers), manyare in SPIN for a variety of common sensors and tasks.If anyone is interested in a demo / presentation atthe next meeting (May 14) I would be happy to setsomething up. Allen__________________________________________________Do You Yahoo!?Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around http://mail.yahoo.com

          • Margaret-Anne & Ron
            Message 5 of 12 , May 2 5:53 PM
              I'm definitely interested in a demo.
              Cheers,
              RonC

              tellurian wrote:
              > Hi All,
              >
              > Ive been playing with Parallax's new microprocessor:
              > the 'Propeller'. It is ideally suited to the kinds of
              > robotics we commonly do.
              >
              > http://www.parallax.com/propeller/index.asp
              >
              > It is an interesting new architecture, especially for
              > the hobby world. It has 8 32-bit microprocessors in it
              > (called COGS) and is organized to achieve hard real
              > time parallel processing in a very easy to use manner.
              > It can achieve real parallel processing and handle
              > multiple tasks without interrupts. In fact it does not
              > even have interrupts!
              >
              > If clocked at 80 Mhz each COG can run at 20MIPS for a
              > total of 160MIPS if all 8 are running (they execute in
              > parallel!). It is a 3.3V part and it only consumes
              > 75ma running flat out at 160MIPS. It can run
              > assembler, and a nice (as in rich and efficient) high
              > level interpreted language called SPIN. SPIN is very
              > much like an object-oriented cross between Basic and
              > C, if you know either you'll get it in a flash. A C
              > compiler from ImageCraft is due out towards the end of
              > the year (~$200US), and a much more heavy weight
              > version of the processor (Version 2) is already in the
              > works (more COGs, more IO, more memory, faster too ...
              > parallax has not released any more details yet).
              >
              > The chip sells for about $16, the programming
              > environment and SPIN is free. It can be programmed via
              > USB or RS232. There are lots of objects already
              > available, free. Some are drivers in assember (i.e.
              > rs232, composite video and VGA graphics drivers), many
              > are in SPIN for a variety of common sensors and tasks.
              >
              > If anyone is interested in a demo / presentation at
              > the next meeting (May 14) I would be happy to set
              > something up.
              >
              > Allen

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • normand fisher
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2 5:58 PM
                ...and add my name to the list of those interested.
                Thanks.

                Normand

              • Micro
                Message 7 of 12 , May 2 10:16 PM
                  Me too

                  Guy

                  --- normand fisher <icietla@...> wrote:

                  > ...and add my name to the list of those interested.
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > Normand
                  >
                  > On 5/2/07, Margaret-Anne & Ron
                  > <ronclough@...> wrote:
                  > > I'm definitely interested in a demo.
                  > > Cheers,
                  > > RonC
                  > >
                  > > tellurian wrote:
                  > > > Hi All,
                  > > >
                  > > > Ive been playing with Parallax's new
                  > microprocessor:
                  > > > the 'Propeller'. It is ideally suited to the
                  > kinds of
                  > > > robotics we commonly do.
                  > > >
                  > > > http://www.parallax.com/propeller/index.asp
                  > > >
                  > > > It is an interesting new architecture,
                  > especially for
                  > > > the hobby world. It has 8 32-bit microprocessors
                  > in it
                  > > > (called COGS) and is organized to achieve hard
                  > real
                  > > > time parallel processing in a very easy to use
                  > manner.
                  > > > It can achieve real parallel processing and
                  > handle
                  > > > multiple tasks without interrupts. In fact it
                  > does not
                  > > > even have interrupts!
                  > > >
                  > > > If clocked at 80 Mhz each COG can run at 20MIPS
                  > for a
                  > > > total of 160MIPS if all 8 are running (they
                  > execute in
                  > > > parallel!). It is a 3.3V part and it only
                  > consumes
                  > > > 75ma running flat out at 160MIPS. It can run
                  > > > assembler, and a nice (as in rich and efficient)
                  > high
                  > > > level interpreted language called SPIN. SPIN is
                  > very
                  > > > much like an object-oriented cross between Basic
                  > and
                  > > > C, if you know either you'll get it in a flash.
                  > A C
                  > > > compiler from ImageCraft is due out towards the
                  > end of
                  > > > the year (~$200US), and a much more heavy weight
                  > > > version of the processor (Version 2) is already
                  > in the
                  > > > works (more COGs, more IO, more memory, faster
                  > too ...
                  > > > parallax has not released any more details yet).
                  > > >
                  > > > The chip sells for about $16, the programming
                  > > > environment and SPIN is free. It can be
                  > programmed via
                  > > > USB or RS232. There are lots of objects already
                  > > > available, free. Some are drivers in assember
                  > (i.e.
                  > > > rs232, composite video and VGA graphics
                  > drivers), many
                  > > > are in SPIN for a variety of common sensors and
                  > tasks.
                  > > >
                  > > > If anyone is interested in a demo / presentation
                  > at
                  > > > the next meeting (May 14) I would be happy to
                  > set
                  > > > something up.
                  > > >
                  > > > Allen

                  > to:
                  > > >

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Amjad Farran
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3 10:20 AM
                    Me too.

                    Amjad

> [...]
                    > end of
                    > > > the year (~$200US), and a much more heavy weight
                    > > > version of the processor (Version 2) is already
                    > in the
                    > > > works (more COGs, more IO, more memory, faster
                    > too ...
                    > > > parallax has not released any more details yet).
                    > > >
                    > > > The chip sells for about $16, the programming
                    > > > environment and SPIN is free. It can be
                    > programmed via
                    > > > USB or RS232. There are lots of objects already
                    > > > available, free. Some are drivers in assember
                    > (i.e.
                    > > > rs232, composite video and VGA graphics
                    > drivers), many
                    > > > are in SPIN for a variety of common sensors and
                    > tasks.
                    > > >
                    > > > If anyone is interested in a demo / presentation
                    > at
                    > > > the next meeting (May 14) I would be happy to

                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    http://mail. yahoo.com

                  • tellurian
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3 3:32 PM
                      OK demo / presentation it is.

                      I will get some stuff ready for the next meeting, I'll
                      post a reminder a couple of days before the meeting
                      too.

                      Allen

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • tellurian
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 10 6:15 AM
                        Parallax is going to be selling these soon!

                        OMG!! ... drool ...

                        see...
                        http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=10&m=189613

                        Allen

                        http://mail.yahoo.com
                      • tellurian
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 11 9:37 PM
                          I have some stuff ready to go for a demo /
                          presentation for the next meeting. I am building my
                          next robot around the Propeller so I actually have a
                          number of things worked out to show (if there is
                          interest, even individually).

                          - architectural overview, parallel processing
                          - whistle stop tour of the SPIN language
                          - the spin tool (IDE), development & programming
                          - hello world (basic button & led connections)
                          - i2c interfacing (3V & 5V)
                          - rs232 communication (TTL & via USB)
                          - i2c character LCD (Devantech LCD03)
                          - MaxSonar ultrasonic ranger interface (serial)
                          - Sharp Analog IR ranger interface (via ADC)
                          - peripheral ADC interface (TLV0834)
                          - RF interface (Nordic nRF2401 based TRF24G)
                          - video text and graphics (composite video)
                          - PS2 mouse interface

                          Allen

                          ____________________________________________________________________________________Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.
                          http://farechase.yahoo.com/