Anyone selling their PCB etching kit?

  • Sebastien Bailard
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1 12:37 AM
      I'd like to do some PCB etching.
      Does anyone recommend an inexpensive etching kit that comes with a heater, or
      should I just go and get a plastic cereal container and some aquarium
      paraphernalia?

      I'm aware of the two MG Chemicals kits available from Active.
      The 416-E - Premium Etching Kit - (Complete- Tank, Heater, Pump)
      http://www.active-tech.ca/b2c/redirect.cfm?pn=2&lang=eng&CFID=13637776&CFTOKEN=74585605&jsessionid=2030ba84c07844213561TR&locationID=itemDetail_3&itemID=416%2DE
      seems too expensive, at $200,
      and the
      416-ES - Etching Process Kit - Student
      is only $35 right now, but it doesn't come with a heater. Does anyone know if
      you can fit a store-bought aquarium heater in it?

      Also, is anyone selling their PCB etching kit?

      Regards,
      -Sebastien
    • Jon & Tammy
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1 3:35 PM
        Sebastien Bailard wrote:
        > I'd like to do some PCB etching.
        > Does anyone recommend an inexpensive etching kit that comes with a heater, or
        > should I just go and get a plastic cereal container and some aquarium
        > paraphernalia?
        >
        > I'm aware of the two MG Chemicals kits available from Active.
        > The 416-E - Premium Etching Kit - (Complete- Tank, Heater, Pump)
        > http://www.active-tech.ca/b2c/redirect.cfm?pn=2&lang=eng&CFID=13637776&CFTOKEN=74585605&jsessionid=2030ba84c07844213561TR&locationID=itemDetail_3&itemID=416%2DE
        > seems too expensive, at $200,
        > and the
        > 416-ES - Etching Process Kit - Student
        > is only $35 right now, but it doesn't come with a heater. Does anyone know if
        > you can fit a store-bought aquarium heater in it?
        >
        > Also, is anyone selling their PCB etching kit?
        >
        > Regards,
        > -Sebastien

        I've made quite a few circuit boards and rarely ever used a heater and
        can't say I've ever noticed any difference. I did 4 yesterday out side
        with hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide and the temp wasn't more
        than 45F
        degrees and it took about 15 minutes

        but the few times I've used a heater I used a submersible aquarium heater
        picked up at the goodwill for less than a buck

        Jon

        --
        200 Summit Lp.
        Grants Pass,OR 97527

        I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn't,
        than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is
      • Mack Mack
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1 9:05 PM
          I have small amount of pcb making stuff to give away or sell. If you are just trying to get into making boards, just to let you know, personally I don't think you need a kit. Unless you're doing a large number of pcbs or are a real stickler for quality, you don't really need a heater or agitator. Just the etchant and a tupperware container. I have made many myself using just the "toner transfer" method, a bottle of ferric chloride and a container without a problem. 1oz copper only takes a couple of minutes to etch at room temperature anyway.

          You can buy ferric chloride at active, or I have a bottle.... actually I'll just give to you if you want to come and pick it up. I have some staples photographic inkjet paper too, if you want it, and maybe a small blank fr4 board somewhere.

        • Richard Cook
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2 3:04 PM
            Mack Mack wrote:

            > I have made many myself using just the "toner transfer" method, a
            bottle of ferric chloride
            > and a container without a problem. 1oz copper only takes a couple of
            minutes to etch at
            > room temperature anyway.

            This is the way I did it in high school and it does not need a heater.
            I have been told, however, that pouring ferric chloride down the sink
            afterwards
            (when it is all used up, not each time used) is not safe for the
            environment.

            The setup that Mark Tilden showed me was a fish tank with an extra sheet
            of glass siliconed in to make it tall and narrow. He put a bubble maker
            at the bottom with an air pump and the heater from the fish tank.
            The reason for this was he used ammonium persulphate as the copper
            etchant. It needs to be heated for better results and the bubbles keep
            the etchant circulating.

            I have not tried this yet but have it ready now.
          • Sebastien Bailard
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 5 11:34 PM
              On Friday 02 March 2007 00:05, Mack Mack wrote:
              > I have small amount of pcb making stuff to give away or sell. If you are
              > just trying to get into making boards, just to let you know, personally I
              > don't think you need a kit. Unless you're doing a large number of pcbs or
              > are a real stickler for quality, you don't really need a heater or
              > agitator. Just the etchant and a tupperware container. I have made many
              > myself using just the "toner transfer" method, a bottle of ferric chloride
              > and a container without a problem. 1oz copper only takes a couple of
              > minutes to etch at room temperature anyway.

              I think you're mostly right, from what I've been reading. I'll probably pick
              up an aquarium heater and agitator anyways, if I can find one cheap.

              > You can buy ferric chloride at active, or I have a bottle.... actually
              > I'll just give to you if you want to come and pick it up. I have some
              > staples photographic inkjet paper too, if you want it, and maybe a small
              > blank fr4 board somewhere.

              I'd like that. When would be convenient?

              Thank you,
              -Sebastien