AOT: Cheap omni-directional mirror

  • stephane641
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2005
      hi,

      This is Almost Off-Topic but consider It's for my bot I thought it
      could come in handy for other people later.

      As I mentioned to a of you at the Nerf-bot event this weekend, I've
      been looking for a way to make a cheap omni-directional mirror and
      I've yet to find the right way.

      I recently found a web page explaining how to make a basic conic
      mirror using a thin aluminium coated plastic sheet but my question is:
      Where does one get such a thing?

      I guess it's the same sort of cheap plastic mirrors they use for
      children toys right?

      Anyways, any help finding such a reflective and flexible plastic would
      be much appreciated.
    • Micro
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2005
        How about this?

        http://www.carnivalmirror.com/

        Guy

        --- stephane641 <stephane641@...> wrote:
        > hi,
        >
        > This is Almost Off-Topic but consider It's for my
        > bot I thought it
        > could come in handy for other people later.
        >
        > As I mentioned to a of you at the Nerf-bot event
        > this weekend, I've
        > been looking for a way to make a cheap
        > omni-directional mirror and
        > I've yet to find the right way.
        >
        > I recently found a web page explaining how to make a
        > basic conic
        > mirror using a thin aluminium coated plastic sheet
        > but my question is:
        > Where does one get such a thing?
        >
        > I guess it's the same sort of cheap plastic mirrors
        > they use for
        > children toys right?
        >
        > Anyways, any help finding such a reflective and
        > flexible plastic would
        > be much appreciated.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • chris
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2005
          last summer i picked up off the side of the highway what i first thought was
          a heating duct or tube of tin.

          but when i examined it at home i found the inside of the 1.5 or 2 foot
          diameter 'pipe' was highly reflective. Mirror like.

          so concluded it must have been used as a 'light pipe' or 'sunlight conduit',
          since it was cut at an angle at one end, like it may have been the scrap
          after cutting it flush with the roof.

          it's all speculation and i don't know where to get new material, but might
          point someone in the right direction to both solve/confirm/dispute my theory
          and let you know where to 'dumpster dive' for free scrap!

          the 'tube' is merely flat flexible plastic (i'm guessing it's plastic) sheet
          rolled into a tube, so i'm sure it would work great rolled into a cone.

          > --- stephane641 <stephane641@...> wrote:
          > > hi,
          > >
          > > This is Almost Off-Topic but consider It's for my
          > > bot I thought it
          > > could come in handy for other people later.
          > >
          > > As I mentioned to a of you at the Nerf-bot event
          > > this weekend, I've
          > > been looking for a way to make a cheap
          > > omni-directional mirror and
          > > I've yet to find the right way.
          > >
          > > I recently found a web page explaining how to make a
          > > basic conic
          > > mirror using a thin aluminium coated plastic sheet
          > > but my question is:
          > > Where does one get such a thing?
          > >
          > > I guess it's the same sort of cheap plastic mirrors
          > > they use for
          > > children toys right?
          > >
          > > Anyways, any help finding such a reflective and
          > > flexible plastic would
          > > be much appreciated.

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • stephane641
          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2005
            Yeah, sounds like a similar material.
            Perhaps I'll ask my construction friend.

            THanks,

            --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, "chris" <chrisbrenizer@a...> wrote:
            > last summer i picked up off the side of the highway what i first
            thought was
            > a heating duct or tube of tin.
            >
            > but when i examined it at home i found the inside of the 1.5 or 2 foot
            > diameter 'pipe' was highly reflective. Mirror like.
            >
            > so concluded it must have been used as a 'light pipe' or 'sunlight
            conduit',
            > since it was cut at an angle at one end, like it may have been the scrap
            > after cutting it flush with the roof.
            >

            > it's all speculation and i don't know where to get new material, but
            might
            > point someone in the right direction to both solve/confirm/dispute
            my theory
            > and let you know where to 'dumpster dive' for free scrap!
            >
            > the 'tube' is merely flat flexible plastic (i'm guessing it's
            plastic) sheet
            > rolled into a tube, so i'm sure it would work great rolled into a cone.
            >

            > > --- stephane641 <stephane641@r...> wrote:
            > > > hi,
            > > >
            > > > This is Almost Off-Topic but consider It's for my
            > > > bot I thought it
            > > > could come in handy for other people later.
            > > >
            > > > As I mentioned to a of you at the Nerf-bot event
            > > > this weekend, I've
            > > > been looking for a way to make a cheap
            > > > omni-directional mirror and
            > > > I've yet to find the right way.
            > > >
            > > > I recently found a web page explaining how to make a
            > > > basic conic
            > > > mirror using a thin aluminium coated plastic sheet
            > > > but my question is:
            > > > Where does one get such a thing?
            > > >
            > > > I guess it's the same sort of cheap plastic mirrors
            > > > they use for
            > > > children toys right?
            > > >
            > > > Anyways, any help finding such a reflective and
            > > > flexible plastic would
            > > > be much appreciated.

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • stephane641
            Message 5 of 5 , May 2, 2005
              Great catch!
              I knew you'd be the first one to come up with something. You are one
              resourceful "guy". :)

              Thanks, I've ordered one to play with.
              I'll let you know how it goes.