Re: [ORE_bits] Incorperated Charging Circuit

  • Nick Cogghe
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
      Hmm, no takers, eh? I guess low powered latching relays it is to seperate
      the batteries from the rest of the circuit while they recharge, and having
      dual battery packs so that at least one battery pack is always powering
      the circuit is that way I am going to go. =)

      Nick

      On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Nick Cogghe wrote:

      > Hey gang,
      >
      > I am looking for someone who has had some experience with this sort of
      > problem.
      >
      > What I want to do is have a circuit powered by a battery (currently
      > Lithium ion, single or double cell) and I also want to integrate a
      > charging circuit into the design, so that when it is hooked up to an
      > external power supply, this will recharge the battery _while_ the
      > circuit is still running.
      >
      > The external supply will not be able to power the circuit , while
      > charging. If this wasn't the case, I think I would be able to figure this
      > situation out.
      >
      > I have looked at the Li-ion charge controller chips, but I haven't decided
      > on which one would work best, because I need more information on charging
      > while running.
      >
      > So, can anyone shed some light on how this can be done? (my back up plan
      > is to use latching relays, but I am trying to keep my weight down)
      >
      > Nick

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • owenlawrence2003
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
        This arrived in my e-mail. Maybe there's something in it that might
        help. (I haven't read it, so you're on your own.)

        http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/slvt145d/slvt145d.pdf

        - Owen -

        --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Nick Cogghe <ncogghe@k...> wrote:
        > Hmm, no takers, eh? I guess low powered latching relays it is to
        seperate
        > the batteries from the rest of the circuit while they recharge, and
        having
        > dual battery packs so that at least one battery pack is always
        powering
        > the circuit is that way I am going to go. =)
        >
        > Nick
        >
        > On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Nick Cogghe wrote:
        >

        > > Hey gang,
        > >
        > > I am looking for someone who has had some experience with this
        sort of
        > > problem.
        > >
        > > What I want to do is have a circuit powered by a battery
        (currently
        > > Lithium ion, single or double cell) and I also want to integrate a
        > > charging circuit into the design, so that when it is hooked up to
        an
        > > external power supply, this will recharge the battery _while_ the
        > > circuit is still running.
        > >
        > > The external supply will not be able to power the circuit , while
        > > charging. If this wasn't the case, I think I would be able to
        figure this
        > > situation out.
        > >
        > > I have looked at the Li-ion charge controller chips, but I
        haven't decided
        > > on which one would work best, because I need more information on
        charging
        > > while running.
        > >
        > > So, can anyone shed some light on how this can be done? (my back
        up plan
        > > is to use latching relays, but I am trying to keep my weight down)
        > >
        > > Nick

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • tellurian
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
          I guess no one has onboard charging ... (or at least
          of their own devising). The closest I come is: leave
          the batteries in (NiMh's though) and supply a charging
          jack for an external commercial charger, but the
          circuit is disabled during charging.

          Good luck though, ... looked into solid state relays?

          Allen M.

          --- Nick Cogghe <ncogghe@...> wrote:

          > Hmm, no takers, eh? I guess low powered latching
          > relays it is to seperate
          > the batteries from the rest of the circuit while
          > they recharge, and having
          > dual battery packs so that at least one battery pack
          > is always powering
          > the circuit is that way I am going to go. =)
          >
          > Nick

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Nick Cogghe
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
            I have looked into them a little, but I decided on the latching relays
            because I wanted to keep the power consumtion to a minimum, so with these
            relays they should only comsume power when I want their state to change.
            I have found some that are within my size constraints, so I am going to
            give them a shot first.

            Nick

            On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, tellurian wrote:

            > Good luck though, ... looked into solid state relays?
            >
            > Allen M.
            >
            > --- Nick Cogghe <ncogghe@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Hmm, no takers, eh? I guess low powered latching
            >> relays it is to seperate
            >> the batteries from the rest of the circuit while
            >> they recharge, and having
            >> dual battery packs so that at least one battery pack
            >> is always powering
            >> the circuit is that way I am going to go. =)
            >>
            >> Nick

            > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
            > www.yahoo.com

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Nick Cogghe
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
              Thanks Owen, I've always had good experiences with TI's stuff, maybe I can
              find some useful power managment stuff for my project.

              Nick

              On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, owenlawrence2003 wrote:

              > This arrived in my e-mail. Maybe there's something in it that might
              > help. (I haven't read it, so you're on your own.)
              >
              > http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/slvt145d/slvt145d.pdf
              >
              > - Owen -
              >
              > --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Nick Cogghe <ncogghe@k...> wrote:
              >> Hmm, no takers, eh? I guess low powered latching relays it is to
              > seperate
              >> the batteries from the rest of the circuit while they recharge, and
              > having
              >> dual battery packs so that at least one battery pack is always
              > powering
              >> the circuit is that way I am going to go. =)
              >>
              >> Nick
              >>
              >> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Nick Cogghe wrote:
              >>

              >>> Hey gang,
              >>>
              >>> I am looking for someone who has had some experience with this
              > sort of
              >>> problem.
              >>>
              >>> What I want to do is have a circuit powered by a battery
              > (currently
              >>> Lithium ion, single or double cell) and I also want to integrate a
              >>> charging circuit into the design, so that when it is hooked up to
              > an
              >>> external power supply, this will recharge the battery _while_ the
              >>> circuit is still running.
              >>>
              >>> The external supply will not be able to power the circuit , while
              >>> charging. If this wasn't the case, I think I would be able to
              > figure this
              >>> situation out.
              >>>
              >>> I have looked at the Li-ion charge controller chips, but I
              > haven't decided
              >>> on which one would work best, because I need more information on
              > charging
              >>> while running.
              >>>
              >>> So, can anyone shed some light on how this can be done? (my back
              > up plan
              >>> is to use latching relays, but I am trying to keep my weight down)
              >>>
              >>> Nick

              >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • fakhre alam
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
                Hi

                For driving and charging same time is done with using
                MOSFET in series with the battery.

                1) connect MOSFET OR FET IN SERIES WITH BATTERY, WHEN
                EXTERNAL POWER (CHARGING SUPPLY) IS CONNECTED MOSFET
                WILL BE IN OFF MODE AND CIRCUIT WILL GET POWER FROM
                EXTERNAL SOURCE AND BATTERY WILL CHARGE WITH THAT
                EXTERNAL SOURCE ALSO THAT SOURCE SUPPLY [FROM TO MAIN
                CIRCUIT TOO, WHEN EXTERNAL POWER IS NOT CONNECTED,
                THAT IN SERIES MOSFET WILL TURNED ON AND SWITCH POWER
                TO BATTERY. ONLY DISADVANTAGE IS THAT U HAVE A POWER
                LOSS LIKE SERIES REGULATOR BECAUSE MOSFET WILL WASTE
                YOUR POWER.
                2) USING SPDT RELAY WILL BE THE BEST SOLUTION, U CAN
                CHARGE YOUR BATTERY SAME TIME AND USE THE CHARGING
                SOURCE AND MAIN POWER TOO BUT IN THIS SCHEME LATCHING
                CURRENT WILL BE AS ISSUE, INSTEAD U CAN USE MOSFET IN
                THIS CASE TOO THEY ARE TOO CHEAP (SAME AS WE USE
                BRIDGE CONFIG FOR DRIVING DC MOTOR FORWARD AND
                REVERSE).

                FAKHRE ALAM

                --- Nick Cogghe <ncogghe@...> wrote:

                > Thanks Owen, I've always had good experiences with
                > TI's stuff, maybe I can
                > find some useful power managment stuff for my
                > project.
                >
                > Nick
                >
                > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, owenlawrence2003 wrote:
                >

                > > This arrived in my e-mail. Maybe there's
                > something in it that might
                > > help. (I haven't read it, so you're on your own.)
                > >
                > > http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/slvt145d/slvt145d.pdf
                > >
                > > - Owen -
                > >
                > > --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Nick Cogghe
                > <ncogghe@k...> wrote:
                > >> Hmm, no takers, eh? I guess low powered latching
                > relays it is to
                > > seperate
                > >> the batteries from the rest of the circuit while
                > they recharge, and
                > > having
                > >> dual battery packs so that at least one battery
                > pack is always
                > > powering
                > >> the circuit is that way I am going to go. =)
                > >>
                > >> Nick

                > experience with this
                > > sort of

                > battery
                > > (currently
                > want to integrate a
                > it is hooked up to
                > > an
                > battery _while_ the

                > the circuit , while
                > would be able to
                > > figure this

                > chips, but I
                > > haven't decided
                > more information on
                > > charging

                > be done? (my back
                > > up plan
                > keep my weight down)

                > to:

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Nick Cogghe
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
                  Yeah, I had thought of the same thing as your first point Fahkre, but the
                  catch there is that the external power supply would not be strong enough
                  to actually power the circuit (while the battery is switched out) and
                  charge the battery at the same time.

                  Nick

                  On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, fakhre alam wrote:

                  > Hi
                  >
                  > For driving and charging same time is done with using
                  > MOSFET in series with the battery.
                  >
                  > 1) connect MOSFET OR FET IN SERIES WITH BATTERY, WHEN
                  > EXTERNAL POWER (CHARGING SUPPLY) IS CONNECTED MOSFET
                  > WILL BE IN OFF MODE AND CIRCUIT WILL GET POWER FROM
                  > EXTERNAL SOURCE AND BATTERY WILL CHARGE WITH THAT
                  > EXTERNAL SOURCE ALSO THAT SOURCE SUPPLY [FROM TO MAIN
                  > CIRCUIT TOO, WHEN EXTERNAL POWER IS NOT CONNECTED,
                  > THAT IN SERIES MOSFET WILL TURNED ON AND SWITCH POWER
                  > TO BATTERY. ONLY DISADVANTAGE IS THAT U HAVE A POWER
                  > LOSS LIKE SERIES REGULATOR BECAUSE MOSFET WILL WASTE
                  > YOUR POWER.
                  > 2) USING SPDT RELAY WILL BE THE BEST SOLUTION, U CAN
                  > CHARGE YOUR BATTERY SAME TIME AND USE THE CHARGING
                  > SOURCE AND MAIN POWER TOO BUT IN THIS SCHEME LATCHING
                  > CURRENT WILL BE AS ISSUE, INSTEAD U CAN USE MOSFET IN
                  > THIS CASE TOO THEY ARE TOO CHEAP (SAME AS WE USE
                  > BRIDGE CONFIG FOR DRIVING DC MOTOR FORWARD AND
                  > REVERSE).
                  >
                  > FAKHRE ALAM
                  >

                  > --- Nick Cogghe <ncogghe@...> wrote:
                  >

                  >> Thanks Owen, I've always had good experiences with
                  >> TI's stuff, maybe I can
                  >> find some useful power managment stuff for my
                  >> project.
                  >>
                  >> Nick
                  >>
                  >> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, owenlawrence2003 wrote:
                  >>

                  >>> This arrived in my e-mail. Maybe there's
                  >> something in it that might
                  >>> help. (I haven't read it, so you're on your own.)
                  >>>
                  >>> http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/slvt145d/slvt145d.pdf
                  >>>
                  >>> - Owen -
                  >>>
                  >>> --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Nick Cogghe
                  >> relays it is to
                  >>> seperate
                  >> they recharge, and
                  >>> having
                  >> pack is always
                  >>> powering

                  >> experience with this
                  >>> sort of

                  >> battery
                  >>> (currently
                  >> want to integrate a
                  >> it is hooked up to
                  >>> an
                  >> battery _while_ the

                  >> the circuit , while
                  >> would be able to
                  >>> figure this

                  >> chips, but I
                  >>> haven't decided
                  >> more information on
                  >>> charging

                  >> be done? (my back
                  >>> up plan
                  >> keep my weight down)

                  >> to:

                  >>> Yahoo! Groups Links

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • stephane641
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 2, 2004
                    hey Nick,

                    Is this for a self-charging bot?
                    If it is you can simply have the main CPU turn off the regulators for
                    the main modules and go to sleep when it senses a docking.
                    Then you can simply charge online.

                    Unless you're talking about something totally different?
                    What are you working on again?

                    later,

                    --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Nick Cogghe <ncogghe@k...> wrote:

                    > I have looked into them a little, but I decided on the latching relays
                    > because I wanted to keep the power consumtion to a minimum, so with
                    these
                    > relays they should only comsume power when I want their state to
                    change.
                    > I have found some that are within my size constraints, so I am going to
                    > give them a shot first.
                    >
                    > Nick
                    >

                    > On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, tellurian wrote:
                    >
                    > > Good luck though, ... looked into solid state relays?
                    > >
                    > > Allen M.
                    > >
                    > > --- Nick Cogghe <ncogghe@k...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> Hmm, no takers, eh? I guess low powered latching
                    > >> relays it is to seperate
                    > >> the batteries from the rest of the circuit while
                    > >> they recharge, and having
                    > >> dual battery packs so that at least one battery pack
                    > >> is always powering
                    > >> the circuit is that way I am going to go. =)
                    > >>
                    > >> Nick

                    > > Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
                    > > www.yahoo.com

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Nick Cogghe
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 3, 2004
                      Yeah, this is for a self charging robot. The trick is that the charger is