AVR vs PIC RTOS benchmarks

  • stephane641
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
      Hey,

      I just thought I'd brag a little:

      Look at the performance benchmarks of the PIC and AVR running the
      FreeRTOS kernel:

      http://www.freertos.org/PC/index.html

      I think the results says it all! AVR rules! (and that's only at 8Mhz,
      imagine at 16!)

      hehehehe

      Later,
    • Aaron Ramsey
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
        Lets see how your AVR does against my newest robot controller:
        http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2783456157&category=51107&rd=1

        ;-)

        Bring it on 8-bit 8MHz boy. <grin>

        Aaron

        stephane641 wrote:

        > Hey,
        >
        > I just thought I'd brag a little:
        >
        > Look at the performance benchmarks of the PIC and AVR running the
        > FreeRTOS kernel:
        >
        > http://www.freertos.org/PC/index.html
        >
        > I think the results says it all! AVR rules! (and that's only at 8Mhz,
        > imagine at 16!)
        >
        > hehehehe
        >
        > Later,
      • Ken McKinnon
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
          Definately moving up in the world.

          Ken

          Aaron Ramsey wrote:

          > Lets see how your AVR does against my newest robot controller:
          > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2783456157&category=51107&rd=1
          > <http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2783456157&category=51107&rd=1>
          >

          > ;-)
          >
          > Bring it on 8-bit 8MHz boy. <grin>
          >
          > Aaron
          >

          > stephane641 wrote:
          >
          > > Hey,
          > >
          > > I just thought I'd brag a little:
          > >
          > > Look at the performance benchmarks of the PIC and AVR running the
          > > FreeRTOS kernel:
          > >
          > > http://www.freertos.org/PC/index.html
          > >
          > > I think the results says it all! AVR rules! (and that's only at 8Mhz,
          > > imagine at 16!)
          > >
          > > hehehehe
          > >
          > > Later,

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          > [click here]
          > <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12c1dicvb/M=268585.4464812.5643763.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705137078:HM/EXP=1075745930/A=1950447/R=0/*http://ashnin.com/clk/muryutaitakenattogyo?YH=4464812&yhad=1950447>

        • stephane641
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
            As fair a competition as a 4-on-1 breakaway!

            You know your micro kicks ass when the PIC fans try to pit you against
            a full-fledge Intel processor!

            Maybe I'll strike back with an Atmel ARM processor or even better, and
            AMD processor! :)

            Did you actually buy it or you're just fancying that board?
            I haven't even touched my PC104 board yet as I haven't really ran out
            of power with with my micros yet but soon enough I'll need to for more
            complicated stuff.

            Later,

            --- In ORE_bits@yahoogroups.com, Aaron Ramsey <aaron@b...> wrote:
            > Lets see how your AVR does against my newest robot controller:

            http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2783456157&category=51107&rd=1

            > ;-)
            >
            > Bring it on 8-bit 8MHz boy. <grin>
            >
            > Aaron
            >

            > stephane641 wrote:
            >
            > > Hey,
            > >
            > > I just thought I'd brag a little:
            > >
            > > Look at the performance benchmarks of the PIC and AVR running the
            > > FreeRTOS kernel:
            > >
            > > http://www.freertos.org/PC/index.html
            > >
            > > I think the results says it all! AVR rules! (and that's only at 8Mhz,
            > > imagine at 16!)
            > >
            > > hehehehe
            > >
            > > Later,
          • Aaron Ramsey
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
              stephane641 wrote:
              > Maybe I'll strike back with an Atmel ARM processor or even better, and
              > AMD processor! :)

              Actually, that atmel ARMs are a slow bunch. I've got some of those here
              too, but never managed to get too excited about it. It is a pain the ass
              to program (needs a hacked up jtag programmer with minimal hobbiest
              support), and it doesn't have anything nice in the way of I/O.

              Actually, my new SBC can take an AMD processor (anything socket 7) so
              nyah nyah. <grin>

              > Did you actually buy it or you're just fancying that board?
              > I haven't even touched my PC104 board yet as I haven't really ran out
              > of power with with my micros yet but soon enough I'll need to for more
              > complicated stuff.

              Ayup, that board is sitting on my bench right now waiting for me to
              stuff some memory into it. I've got some 144Mbyte flash drives on order
              for it, so I'll be running linux or something similar on it.

              Ron C. and I both took the plunge into embedded PC territory. We were
              trying to get some fancy-pants PowerPC boards up and running but it was
              just a monstrous pain in the ass. Having an intel-style processor really
              makes things easier. I was half thinking about those new VIA
              motherboards with the 600MHz processors, but it's hard to beat $25. <grin>

              One of the nice thing about the SBC is that the entire development
              environment can be hosted on the robot itself. Makes updates pretty
              easy. The only bummer is the current draw. Those boards are rated at 4
              amps peak. Wooohhhh..... I'm glad that Rayovac has those monster D-cell
              NiMH batteries. <grin> I haven't had a chance to measure current draw,
              but I'm guessing that it will run more like around 2 amps or so under
              normal conditions.

              Aaron
            • Dave Hylands
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
                Here's anifty ARM processor:

                http://www.gumstix.com/

                --
                Dave Hylands
                Vancouver, BC, Canada

                > Maybe I'll strike back with an Atmel ARM processor or even better, and

                > AMD processor! :)

                Actually, that atmel ARMs are a slow bunch. I've got some of those here
                too, but never managed to get too excited about it. It is a pain the ass

                to program (needs a hacked up jtag programmer with minimal hobbiest
                support), and it doesn't have anything nice in the way of I/O.

                Actually, my new SBC can take an AMD processor (anything socket 7) so
                nyah nyah. <grin>

                > Did you actually buy it or you're just fancying that board?
                > I haven't even touched my PC104 board yet as I haven't really ran out
                > of power with with my micros yet but soon enough I'll need to for more

                > complicated stuff.

                Ayup, that board is sitting on my bench right now waiting for me to
                stuff some memory into it. I've got some 144Mbyte flash drives on order
                for it, so I'll be running linux or something similar on it.

                Ron C. and I both took the plunge into embedded PC territory. We were
                trying to get some fancy-pants PowerPC boards up and running but it was
                just a monstrous pain in the ass. Having an intel-style processor really

                makes things easier. I was half thinking about those new VIA
                motherboards with the 600MHz processors, but it's hard to beat $25.
                <grin>

                One of the nice thing about the SBC is that the entire development
                environment can be hosted on the robot itself. Makes updates pretty
                easy. The only bummer is the current draw. Those boards are rated at 4
                amps peak. Wooohhhh..... I'm glad that Rayovac has those monster D-cell
                NiMH batteries. <grin> I haven't had a chance to measure current draw,
                but I'm guessing that it will run more like around 2 amps or so under
                normal conditions.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • Micro
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2004
                  Since current is related to speed, can it run at 8 MHz
                  most of the time and speed up only when needed?

                  Guy

                  http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/